Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2003, 15:09   #1
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Need a good chili recipe

I'd prefer to do it in the crookpot and I like using big pieces of beef in it. Anyone have a good recipe for me?
Old 12-14-2003, 16:18   #2
Bill D

Try using 2 packages of French's Chilio seasoning per pound of meat instead of 1. I use Bush's hot chili beans, crushed tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped celery, sliced mushrooms, and chili powder to add some heat! Add more beans and tomatoes for volumn.
Mine is cooked on the stove, but if you brown and drain the beef, a crockpot should be fine. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Damn, I put chicken on the grill 10 minutes ago! Maybe tomorrow!!!!
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 18:07   #3
Zak3056
NRA Life Member

Send a message via ICQ to Zak3056
How about THICK chili? My chili always seems to turn out thin and soupy. I serve it over rice (which absorbs some of the liquid) and top with a good amount of cheddar (which thickens things up) but I'm just not satisfied with the initial product.

Any ideas?
"'Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.' That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one, and only, truth." --Fullmetal Alchemist
Zak3056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 18:05   #4
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Patricia, this is the one we entered in the chili cookoff this year. We love it!

MON AND ED’S CHILI COOKOFF RECIPE 2003

4 (12oz) beers
1 TBLS coarse salt
4 Bay leaves
3 tsp beef base
3 pounds ground steak
4 pounds sirloin tips
2 TBLS oregano
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
12 TBLS chili powder
3 TBLS ground cumin
2 small cans green chilies
2 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced
½ a red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ a yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 clove elephant garlic (or 10 regular size cloves)
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (8oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 (15oz) can of kidney beans
1 (15oz) can pinto beans
1 stick butter

·In large pot, simmer three beers, salt, bay leaves, and beef base.

·In a separate small bowl, mix oregano, cumin, 3 TBLS of the chili powder, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add half this spice mixture to the beer pot and reserve the rest for later.

·In a heavy skillet, brown a pound of meat a time, each with a TBLS of the chili powder. After each pound is browned and spiced, add it to the beer pot until all meat is browned and all the chili powder is used.

·Saute onions and garlic in half a stick of the butter until translucent and add to the beer pot.

·Add to the pot: the reserved dry spice mix, the green chiles, red and yellow bell peppers, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, the remaining half-stick of butter, and the fourth beer if necessary. (if not, leave it out or drink it) J

·Simmer for 2 hours and remove bay leaves before serving.

DELISH!!

Shoeless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
View my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 21:16   #5
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Mon, that is fantastic! I can't wait to try it! Thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 22:35   #6
ExxoticOne

The following recipe "claims" to yield 8 servings...but given I serve heaping bowls of this it realistically, serves 4 hungry people:

CHIPOTLE BEEF CHILI WITH LIME CREMA

3 pounds ground beef
(slices of bacon - OPTIONAL)
3 cups chopped onions (I prefer red ones)
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chili powder
2 14 1/2-ounce cans beef broth
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
1/2 cup stout or dark beer
2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies

2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
2 15 1/2-ounce cans black beans, drained, rinsed

1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime peel

Corn tortilla chips (I "cheat" and use those...lime flavored ones...Tostitos?)

Directions:

Heat heavy large pot over high heat. Add beef; sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat with spoon, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add onions and garlic to same pot. Sauté until onions are tender, 8 minutes. (If you have any slices of bacon lying around...add that in for a "smokey" flavor). Add chili powder. Sauté until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add beef, broth, tomatoes, stout and chilies. Cover partially; simmer until chili is thick, stirring often, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Gradually stir cornmeal into chili. Stir in beans. Simmer until heated through. Season generously with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm over medium heat.)

Whisk sour cream, lime juice and lime peel in small bowl. Season with salt.

Spoon chili into bowls. Spoon lime crema atop chili. Serve with chips (and beer).
Old 12-16-2003, 00:22   #7
MrsKitty

You people have no idea how hungry you have just made me at 1:30 in the morning...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:05   #8
Bill D

Girls,
Sorry I posted my cheap, easy, quick, and good chili mix to your attact
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17   #9
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidearmor
Mon, that is fantastic! I can't wait to try it! Thanks
Patricia,
I got MYSELF excited for it, and have decided to make it for our holiday party this Friday. (you comin'??)

I forgot to tell you that the recipe I gave you serves about 15-18 people. We needed to use two big pots on the stove to cook it all. You might want to halve it if it's just for a family.

Mon
View my

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:15   #10
PzGren

Heat one Tbs of vegetable oil, add two pounds of cubed meat, brown for 5 to 10 minutes.

Add salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika, then one cup of water, and 8oz of tomato suace.
Bring to medium boil, boil slowly for about one hour ( 45 min. for ground beef).

After one hour, add a bag or two of Chili seasoning, stir and simmer at reduced heat for an hour.

If the chili is too thick, add water, if it is too watery, you can add starch, or flour( dissolved in water).

I then add the beans and hot sauce. Warmed up next day, it always seems to be better.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 22:23   #11
23skidoo
Deceased

I heard someone mention thick chili....Try a bag of dried New Mexico chili peppers, some stores carry a hot and a mild version. Reconstitute the peppers in boiling water and let them sit for one half hour. Put the peppers in a food processor with just enough of the water to cover, whiz 'em about for a minute, and strain into a large pot. You can help attenuate the heat of the peppers by removing the seeds and veins. I leave 'em in on the mild ones. Add 3-5 tablespoons of ground cumin, depending on taste, massive quantities of garlic, oregano and basil, (careful with the basil, about three parts oregano to one part basil works for me) copious amounts of black pepper, salt, and one 14oz can of tomatoes. Sorry about the measurements but I do this to taste and adjust the seasoning as I go along. For this size pot figure one T of oregano and one t of basil. If you need to thin the mix out, use beef stock or chicken stock. Brown one pound of the meat of your choice in a little olive oil. I prefer venison. Transfer the meat to the pot and let it simmer for about an hour while the flavors combine. Dice up a Vidalia or Oso onion and a green pepper and add them to the pot. Drain two cans of beans into a strainer and run cold water over them to get the nasty packing liquid off of them and add them to the pot and bingo! Jeff's chili. I know it's a bit of an effort to start with dried chilis but I like it better than any of the mixes.

Enjoy! Jeff
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote