Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:52   #1
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Ask the Chef Cooking Questions-Can I help You?

I've been a Chef and in the Restaurant Business for 27 years. I currently am running 10 accounts for a corporate level dining company. I am experienced in many cooking methods, styles and ethnic specialties.
Being that cooking, food and glocks are my passions, I thought I'd offer my services to anyone needing help or advice on this forum.
I certainly don't know everything about food, but if ever I can help you, please feel free to post a question and I'll do my best to help.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:03   #2
JaviFL

CHef Glockerel,

I am planning on cooking a nice group of NY strips for the family this Christmas. My question is, do I strap on a G26, a G21, or a Colt 1911 NRM while I take care of my cooking duties? I am veering towards the G26. I am thinking of comfort underneath the apron. Maybe a full size pistol will weigh me down too much, hindering my movement around the kitchen. What is a cook to do? This is a conundrum.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:09   #3
allanc
"Inconceivable"

Hey Ask-A-Chef,

I'm looking for a recipe for boiling water. I like to make tea and instant grits with boiling water. Do you have a good recipe? Also, I was at McDonalds and they had this really cool stuff in the drinks. They called it ice. Do you have a recipe for making ice?
;f ;a ;f
Old 12-15-2003, 07:29   #4
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Q-
CHef Glockerel,

I am planning on cooking a nice group of NY strips for the family this Christmas. My question is, do I strap on a G26, a G21, or a Colt 1911 NRM while I take care of my cooking duties? I am veering towards the G26. I am thinking of comfort underneath the apron. Maybe a full size pistol will weigh me down too much, hindering my movement around the kitchen. What is a cook to do? This is a conundrum.

A-
javiFL-
Sounds like you have lots of room under your apron plenty of experience with strap ons, so I'll let you decide what to do.

Q-
Hey Ask-A-Chef,

I'm looking for a recipe for boiling water. I like to make tea and instant grits with boiling water. Do you have a good recipe? Also, I was at McDonalds and they had this really cool stuff in the drinks. They called it ice. Do you have a recipe for making ice?

Allanc-
Boiling water is easy, just make sure have a baby on hand to test the temperature.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:19   #5
PatrolMom

Chef,

What kitchen knives do you recommend? and if they are truly very expensive, can you give me an idea of where to start my collection. In other words, what are the "must haves" in a kitchen.

Thank you, and thank you for this thread.

"The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity." GWB

"The 1st Amendment guarantees you a voice. It does not guarantee you an audience.

And lack of an audience is not an infringement on your voice....it's a judgment on it." Goalie

PatrolMom
PatrolMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:47   #6
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Quote:
Originally posted by PatrolMom
Chef,

What kitchen knives do you recommend? and if they are truly very expensive, can you give me an idea of where to start my collection. In other words, what are the "must haves" in a kitchen.

Thank you, and thank you for this thread.
Happy to help!

I like Wustof Trident or Henkels.
My standard arsenal is an 8" French (chef's) knife, get a "wide" one if you can. They have a heavier and wider back. Indispensible.
I also suggest a paring knife, a long narrow carving knife,and a boning knife.
For the money I believe Trident gives the best bang for the buck. They have a lifetime warranty, are easily obtainable and once sharpened properly, hold an edge forever. You simply need to run them over a sharpening steel now and again. Tridents usually have a good factory edge.
The keys to keeping a knife sharp are:
Cleaning immediatly after use.
Proper storage- don't let them bang around a drawer with lots of utensils.
Never clean or scrape a cutting board with the blade of your knife- always use the back.
Using a sharpening steel for just a few strokes to take the burr off before using.

Tridents are widely available at Marshall Fields, cooking and Cutlery-type stores; online too. They throw them on sale all the time. You'll spend up to $75 for the 8" chef's alone, but you will never need another one. When it comes to knives, you get what you pay for. Brands like Chicago Cutlery are inexpensive, but the quality of the steel just isn't there. You can feel by the weight alone that you have a good knife in your hands.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:59   #7
chevrofreak

Would you agree that Tarragon is one of the best spices? ;f

After frying pork chops, I pour some heavy cream into the pan and sprinkle it with tarragon. YUM!
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:19   #8
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Tarragon is great.
It's easy to grow and dry yourself. Try taking several whole branches, knotting them up, and roasting in a chicken's cavity.
Couldn't make Bearnaise sauce without it.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:05   #9
PatrolMom

Thank you Glockerel...I will look into Trident. I really appreciate the assistance.

"The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity." GWB

"The 1st Amendment guarantees you a voice. It does not guarantee you an audience.

And lack of an audience is not an infringement on your voice....it's a judgment on it." Goalie

PatrolMom
Old 12-16-2003, 13:11   #10
Nigel_C

Chef,

I have a 15lb, boned rolled and stuffed turkey I am planning on cooking for Christmas. It is Frozen and I was told to let it thaw for 3 days in the refrigerator before roasting. Does this souind right to you ?
Also any tips for roasting it ?

I'll be wearing a Glock 32 in a Tucker IWB rig if that helps with your recomendations :-)

Thanks

Nigel_C
Nigel_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 13:46   #11
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel_C
Chef,

I have a 15lb, boned rolled and stuffed turkey I am planning on cooking for Christmas. It is Frozen and I was told to let it thaw for 3 days in the refrigerator before roasting. Does this souind right to you ?
Also any tips for roasting it ?

I'll be wearing a Glock 32 in a Tucker IWB rig if that helps with your recomendations :-)

Thanks

Nigel_C
I'd let it thaw at least 3 days in the fridge. This is the only safe way to do it, particularly with a pre-stuffed bird. Make sure and put it in the warmest part of the fridge- you don't want the cooler fan blowing on it or it will take forever.
For roasting-
Roast at 325f, tented with foil, for about 4 hours-stuffed birds take longer- or to an internal temp of 165f. Let sit on counter 1/2 hour before carving- that will make it much easier.
For a real treat, the last hour of cooking, lay bacon over the top. Not only will your bird taste good, your gravy will be top notch.

As for the Tucker IWB- I'm impressed with anyone who can comfortably wear one.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:34   #12
PatrolMom

Chef,

I've been on the hunt for those Trident knives and found a good deal, yesterday while in Robinson's May department store.

I found a pkg of three pairing knives, with Emeril's name on them, although they are made by Trident and have that little funny red seal on them. One is a pairing knife, and one is a serrated sort of pairing knive and the last one looks like a small boning knife.

I also purchased the matching sharpener. I got it all for under $30. I'm know looking for the chef knives...I'm so happy...I could just spit. Well, not spit, but you get the idea...thanks!

PatrolMom
Old 12-19-2003, 05:51   #13
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Patrolmom-
Glad to help. The funny little red thingy should look like a pitchfork( or trident- a 3 pronged fork).
You'll be thrilled with these knifes. Good luck on the 8" chefs.
Merry Christmas!!