Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2003, 22:50   #1
Zak3056
NRA Life Member

Send a message via ICQ to Zak3056
Baking stones?

hispeedlodrag posted a bread recipe in my mixer thread which got me to wondering:

I don't currently have a baking stone--what do you guys use? Are you using a manufactured synthetic product, or are you using quarry tiles, or cut stone? If stone, what kind of stone is best for the job, and how thick?

Also, what about kiln shelves?
"'Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.' That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one, and only, truth." --Fullmetal Alchemist
Zak3056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:43   #2
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

If you're on a tight budget, buy unglazed stone tiles from a tile store.

If you're in the market for a regular baking stone I recommend the Villa Ware stone. It's 14"x1"x1/2". This is a SERIOUS piece of stone. Price: around $40. King Arthur's Baker's Catalogue online sells them for $35 plus shipping. I've bought stuff from them for years. Top notch.

http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...41982681992138

DO NOT waste your money on one of those skinny little round or rectangular ones. They're typically around 1/4" thick and they'll break soon as look at it. That, and they're too small.

I've had my Villa Ware stone for going on 8 years. It stays in the over all the time on the bottom rack on the bottom of the oven. when not baking breads/pizza it helps keep the oven at a constant temperature.

Every once in a while I scrub it off with stiff brush and plain water...never use soap...and slowly dry it in the oven.

You get what you pay for. Buy this one. You're worth it.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:05   #3
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

I have a Pampered Chef baking stone. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. We really love ours and it gets a lot of use, too! Definitely worth the money!

http://www.pamperedchef.com/

Shoeless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
View my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:42   #4
crawfish

I have two of the Villa Wear stones, one for each oven but I also get very good results with unglazed floor tiles, need to be careful with tiles though some clays(Mexican/ S. America) has a high lead content, bad bad lead, makes body rot.
crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 19:13   #5
Neal

Baking stone

We also have the Pampered Chef, and love it.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:51   #6
OXCOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoeless
I have a Pampered Chef baking stone. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes. We really love ours and it gets a lot of use, too! Definitely worth the money!

Shoeless

Agreed. These things are great! I wonder if Shosie's stones look like mine? To clean a stone, you simply rinse it off and wipe with a paper towel. NO SOAP! This method will "season" the stone. It is clean but looks like hell! It looks like it s black, burned, etc. I wouldn't trade them for anything!
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 21:58   #7
Glock Case

Stones

My wife and I threw all bake ware out after trying the pampered chef stones. We now have the complete set and love them!
Glock Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 22:11   #8
Egyas
Troll Hater

Ok, I'll bite. Why no soap? Even if you rinse it all the way off? Or is that really not possible?

Also, clean it how? Wire brush?

Founder - Illinois Glockers Club #1
Big Dawg, GOTOD, Niner's & Survival #1280
GOA Member
NRA Member
Egyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 22:45   #9
Glock Case

We use the "scrapers" supplied with the stone and follow up with a soapy dish cloth. Don't tell Pampered Chef, but we have never had a problem with using soap.
Glock Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:24   #10
OXCOPS

The stone has pores in it. They say that the soap can "soak" into those pores. When you heat them up during cooking it can give your food a soapy taste.

I have never used soap, but for those that have, it there any bit of truth to this?

I would guess that you can use a soapy rag and immediately wash the soap off, but don't soak the stone in the sing with the rest of the dirty dishes. Just a guess.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:03   #11
SoDFW Jason
Slow Hillbilly

Send a message via Yahoo to SoDFW Jason

Honestly, I'd be lost without my stones. Once you get used to using one, you'll never use anything else. They distribute heat evenly, nothing sticks to a "seasoned" one, etc.

I broke my "cookie sheet" sized stone once and immediately drove 50 miles in the middle of the night to go buy another one.

TX CHL instructor
I only use Tucker Gunleather
SoDFW Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:30   #12
CaptDoug04
PM 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoeless

Shoeless
Got one for Christmas LAST year, mother in law hates shopping for me ;f
.40 S&W Club #2629/TT #29/FF #29/OAF #2629 (shudder)/XD Club #2629/Freemasons Lodge #178
CaptDoug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 13:19   #13
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

I gave my wife a cheap one for Christmas. I picked it up at a kitchen outlet 15" round with handles - $8 - Some friends gave us a 15" pampered chef one for Christmas, and my mother in law gave me one for Christmas also.

My wife and I are calling it the year of the baking stone.

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 22:44   #14
CranialCrusader

I've never heard of this. I must be living under a stone!

What do you cook on the stone? Pizza?

How do you use it?

Thanks,
CranialCrusader
Old 01-13-2004, 07:14   #15
OXCOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by CranialCrusader
I've never heard of this. I must be living under a stone!

What do you cook on the stone? Pizza?

How do you use it?

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

There are several different shapes ans sizes of stones. Basically, they are like regular baking dishes, just made of the stone instead of glass or metal.

Try this:

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=FH
Old 01-14-2004, 12:20   #16
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

I picked up a big, thick rectangular stone from one of those factory outlet places, cost me about $20. Still going strong almost a year later, even when putting frozen pizzas right on a hot stone.

Just remember to leave some space around the edges so air can circulate from the bottom heating element and the rest of the oven. I hear that you shouldn't put high-fat stuff like cookies right on the stone either, the fat will be absorbed by the stone and turn rancid. I leave mine in 24/7, often putting pans right on it. It keeps everything at a more constant temp and helps cook the bottom of stuff so the top won't burn while the rest of the food is still cooking. You will need a pizza peel (that big paddle) for pizza though, as the stone is very heavy and hot, making it not very removable. Those unglazed tiles are usually too thin and wimpy for serious baking. The stone needs to be pre-heated for 30-45 minutes so it can soak up a lot of heat first. It has the added benefit of drawing moisture from dough, making a crispier outer crust (so if you want a chewy crust, don't set it right on the stone). I consider a stone to be a vital part of a stove, makes baking a lot easier and more predictable.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 16:55   #17
OXCOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by jason10mm
I picked up a big, thick rectangular stone from one of those factory outlet places, cost me about $20. Still going strong almost a year later, even when putting frozen pizzas right on a hot stone.

Just remember to leave some space around the edges so air can circulate from the bottom heating element and the rest of the oven. I hear that you shouldn't put high-fat stuff like cookies right on the stone either, the fat will be absorbed by the stone and turn rancid. I leave mine in 24/7, often putting pans right on it. It keeps everything at a more constant temp and helps cook the bottom of stuff so the top won't burn while the rest of the food is still cooking. You will need a pizza peel (that big paddle) for pizza though, as the stone is very heavy and hot, making it not very removable. Those unglazed tiles are usually too thin and wimpy for serious baking. The stone needs to be pre-heated for 30-45 minutes so it can soak up a lot of heat first. It has the added benefit of drawing moisture from dough, making a crispier outer crust (so if you want a chewy crust, don't set it right on the stone). I consider a stone to be a vital part of a stove, makes baking a lot easier and more predictable.

Not saying you are wrong, but I have never heard of preheating a stone. We use them just like a regular metal or glass dish. We use our sheet style stones for everything from pizza to cookies. We have stone dishes that we use for meatloaf, etc. All we do after cooking is let it cool, then rinse off under cold water and wipe dry with a paper towel.

Never heard of, or had any problems with food soaking into the stone and going rancid.

Maybe we are not doing it right, but after three years, I'm still alive so, who knows! ;f
Old 01-14-2004, 18:12   #18
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

oh, you certainly can just use the stone without preheating, but think about how it works. If you put raw dough on a cold stone, thenturn on the oven, the bottom of your dough will not cook as fast as the top since the stone has to heat up fisrt. With an already hot stone, your dough cooks from the top AND the bottom, giving you a crisp crust and cooked toppings (with pizza, for example). Try it sometime, see if it makes a difference for you.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 14:08   #19
OXCOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by jason10mm
oh, you certainly can just use the stone without preheating, but think about how it works. If you put raw dough on a cold stone, thenturn on the oven, the bottom of your dough will not cook as fast as the top since the stone has to heat up fisrt. With an already hot stone, your dough cooks from the top AND the bottom, giving you a crisp crust and cooked toppings (with pizza, for example). Try it sometime, see if it makes a difference for you.

When I have to resort to cooking, it is about day 2 in my wife's business trip. I am usually too hungry to wait for the stone to heat up THEN cook my pizza!

Now, where did I put that number for Domino's. ;f
Old 01-15-2004, 21:04   #20
MrsKitty

I am really starting to want my own baking stone right about now...

I discovered a resturant supply store today and thought I had walked into heaven! So many tools, gizmos, gadgets, purties, neat-o's, but no baking stones;f

I have so many gadgets and gizmos now! Tonight we just knocked a wall down to expand the kitchen to hold all my junk;g