Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2003, 21:03   #1
C150J
Crackberry

Air National Guard Pilots

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any gouge on the ANG. It looks like an amazing opportunity to serve, albeit extremely competitive for non-military applicants (there was an "AOPA Pilot" article concerning this in June 2003). Anyone here with first-hand experience? I plan to apply to as many bases as possible after college, even though it might be a pipedream.

Thanks!
Justin
C150J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:16   #2
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

1. Go hang out and party with the guys in the unit you want to get into. It really helps to have someone inside pulling for you.
2. Keep trying, my brother is super overqualified and he had to run through a couple times till a slot opened up.
good luck.
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:48   #3

Justin,

Walking off the street and getting into the pilot program in the Air National Guard is almost impossible. There are just too many guys getting off of active duty (with lots of militaty flight time) who are also applying for the position. And why should the Guard pay to send someone to flight school for 1-1.5 years, if they can just hire an experienced military pilot.

BUT..... Don't give up, because you may be in a GREAT position right now. I flew in the Navy for nine years, and am currently flying for the airlines. And I have run across several guys who DID get their wings in the National Guard. And here's how they did it. They enlisted in their local Air National Guard when they first got out of high school, or when they were in college. They worked hard in their local unit, as an enlisted man, and established a good reputation within their squadron. Then, when they graduated from college, and because they had a good reputation, their Air Guard unit promptly sent them off to Officer Candidate School. And as soon as they received their commision as a second lieutenant, their Guard unit then sent them off to flight school (Air Force). As soon as they earned their wings, they went back to their Guard Unit (because that is the Unit that they are attached to. They are just on temporary duty for a year when they go to flight school). And in the Air National Guard, you can stay with the same unit for twenty years!!! It really is a good deal! Of course there are no guarantees in life. Just because you enlist, does NOT mean that the Guard will automatically send you to OCS if you get your degree. But I think you will have a good chance at it.

The first thing to do is to go to your local Air Guard unit, and talk to them. Ask them if they are hiring ANYBODY. If they do not have any openings, you may not even be able to enlist. Ask about enlisting, and getting a commission later. Tell them that you need a job now, and are serious about a 20 year career in the Air Guard. Also, since the Guard units are state funded, it REALLY helps if you are a long time state resident. They like locals.

Give them a call, and see what they say. But don't wait until you graduate, as that will be too late. DO IT NOW!
Old 12-28-2003, 11:46   #4
M2 Carbine

C150J
My experience is pretty dated (1963) but the politics probably hasn't changed much.

I put my active time in the USMC, Amtracs, in the late 50's.

In about 63 I was thinking about going in the Army for helicopter flight school, but I didn't really want to go "active" again.

A friend worked full time for the National Guard.
I happen to tell him I might go in the Army.

He set me up with an interview with the Commanding Officer of the local Army (air) unit.

We hit it off and since the unit was losing pilots because they didn't want to be activated due to the building Viet Mam war the CO agreed to send me to flight school.

I joined the unit and it took a year of paperwork to get the school.

I was in the right place, at the right time, and had a right connection.

What Xtra said.^c

Good luck.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 12-28-2003 at 11:49..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:58   #5
C150J
Crackberry

Thanks for all the insightful replies thus far, guys -

It looks like I have two things going for me right now: I will have around 700 hours when I apply, and I know the former General of the NY-ANG (he's a member of my flying club and owes me ever since he took some of my Mooney time;a ) I'm going to talk to him about the whole deal, as I figure he knows quite a bit. The good news is that I'm not picky - I'd fly anything under the sun!

Thanks again!
J.
Old 12-28-2003, 13:03   #6

Oh, one more thing, and I know this will sound a little strange. Having a lot of civilian flight time is not that important when applying to the military (I didn't have any). I mean, it is helpful, but it is not that critical. They can almost always teach someone how to fly. What they are really looking for, is a mature, responsible, individual, who has something to offer the military. That is something they can not teach.

And you are absolutely right not to be picky. If you say that you only want to fly F-15s or some other such BS, they will throw you out on your ear, real fast. Sometime during the interview process, someone will ask why you want to join the Air Guard. If you say "Because I love to fly, and I think I will be a real good pilot", they will also DUMP you. The correct answer is: "I really want to serve my country, and I have always been interested in a career in the military. And since I love flying and airplanes so much, I think that the Air National Guard would be a great way for me to serve." Or something like that. The flying part is always SECONDARY to serving your country, and the Guard Unit.

The point I am trying to make here is that, you need to be sure that the Air Guard understands that you want to join to serve your country. You are there to HELP THEM. You are NOT joining just to get some free flight training, and have a good time flying fun airplanes. And if you are sincere, then you will have a fair chance of getting accepted.

Good luck!

Edited for spelling
Old 12-28-2003, 16:53   #7
M2 Carbine

More good advice from Xtra^c

But my last few months of flight school, flying Hueys and the Sikorsky H-19, I bought a set of wings and after a hard day I'de polish the wings and smile because I screwed the government out of another few thousand dollars of flight time.;f
Old 12-28-2003, 17:58   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
....I'de polish the wings and smile because I screwed the government out of another few thousand dollars of flight time.;f....
Well I don't think that's really true, M2. You did get the flight time, but you EARNED it. You dedicated a number of years of your life to this country, and in exchange, you got some good flying. A good deal for everyone...I would say.
Old 12-28-2003, 19:06   #9
C150J
Crackberry

Great Points

Xtra,

Your comment about the desire to serve is what attracts me to the guard. I am having reservations about being a professional pilot right now, as I have had a great time with law enforcement (several internships) and the occupation's ability to aid society. However, I think that if I were able to fly for the guard, I wouldn't look back with any regrets of not having helped my country.

As far as the civy experience - I definitely understand that it may not help at face value, but I THINK the fact that I have been flying since age fourteen (six years now) shows responsibility during a time period known for bad decision making. I'm HOPING my Ivy league education will help also, but I'm aware of the fact that there are many state-schooled kids that are smarter than I. We'll see!!!

Thanks again!
J.
Old 12-28-2003, 19:38   #10
prism
more ammo

a forum to check out:

http://www.dynamictruth.com/cgi-bin/...cgi?category=1 ( part of baseops.net )
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 20:48   #11
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtra
Well I don't think that's really true, M2. You did get the flight time, but you EARNED it. You dedicated a number of years of your life to this country, and in exchange, you got some good flying. A good deal for everyone...I would say.
Ya, they got their money's worth and then some for thirteen years.

Actually they got me pretty cheap.;f

But I learned a trade that put beans on the table for the rest of my life.