Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2003, 16:37   #1
noway

Hunting snipes in Central FL and upwards

Does anybody hunt Snipes in the counties north of Palm Bch in Florida? If so where and how has it been?
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 20:09   #2
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Re: Hunting snipes in Central FL and upwards

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
Does anybody hunt Snipes in the counties north of Palm Bch in Florida? If so where and how has it been?
I always thought Snipe hunting was a joke. Here in Montana we send the "New Guy" out snipe hunting. "Ya wanna go snipe hunting", said to the new guy while winking at your old hunting buddy. About 2AM the new guy learns what the joke is and comes stragling back just in time to find that it is his turn to go on a beer run. ;f

Then I learn that in other parts of the country people really do Snipe hunting.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 00:27   #3
noway

Same, here until a older guy convinced me to give up on my search for quails and showed me a actually bird named Snipe.

Snipes are a much harder bird to shoot since most don't give you that much time to get on them to knock them down.
If a snipe has an A thru C options when flushing, he always take option D ( unpredictable). Sometime he shoot straight up and then turn left then right , sometime they just haul off to the right other times they flush right at you. At least with quail, 9 out of 10 times flush in a straight line "away" from the perceived danger and then land 25-30yrds away.

Btw I have until Feb-15 to get my last few hunts in on Snipe and right now My all-time hot spot ( at least compared to last year ) is now sitting in about 6"to12" of water with no dry mud spot around.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:08   #4
johnbob

I have a mounted snipe in my cabinet right now. Lots of people don't have a clue what you are talking about except for the "stick and gunny-sack" joke. We used it last year in a YHEC animal identification category. Like was mentioned, a very demanding target.
johnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 17:30   #5
WalterGA

When I was growing up in S. GA, a couple of moons ago, I frequently saw snipe around small waterholes. Never saw more than one or two at a time. Wouldn't think that they'd offer much of an opportunity for hunting in quantity.

Hard to beat shooting doves over a "properly prepared" field!
WalterGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 21:25   #6
noway

{Wouldn't think that they'd offer much of an opportunity for hunting in quantity. }

That's why the daily bag limit is low like 8. I have never seen just one hunter by himself get 8. The best I ever did was 4 in one day by myself and that was with me tracking thru miles ( yes close to a mile or 2 ) of mud.

{I have a mounted snipe in my cabinet right now. }

I thought about getting one mounted but didn't want to spend the money on just a snipe.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

cousins to the greater Yellow legs.
Old 01-04-2004, 22:19   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by noway

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Would that also be considered a Wood Cock? I have hunted these in PA.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:51   #8
G27G19

Yeah, when my Dad took me and my 3 brothers "snipe" hunting in Colorado he told us about these wonderful, fluffy, soft animals and if we caught one we could keep it. So we ran around with trash bags in the dark while him and my uncle (likely drunk, now that I think about it) tried to roll rocks into the bags. when the joke was over my little brother cried for hours cuz he wanted one so bad.

I think I will get him a mounted snipe for his birthday!

G27G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 16:32   #9
noway

{Would that also be considered a Wood Cock? I have hunted these in PA.}

Yes, whats the difference i have no clue. But they are slight differences and I have no clue as to what and how to determine that.
Old 01-05-2004, 20:04   #10
waterwolves

We have both snipe and woodcock here in Wisconsin. Woodcock are larger and are found in swampy marsh areas, were a snipe is found along lake shores more than in marshes. Woodcocks have a brown and tan belly were a snipe has more white on the belly than anything.

Do you guys use dogs to hunt snipe down there?

Both are very challenging to shoot.

Good luck snipe hunting guys.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:19   #11
noway

{Do you guys use dogs to hunt snipe down there?}

No, very few people use dogs. Most just double team using one man as the flusher and the other as the shooter or a combination of both. That seems to be really the best bet in order in shooting down any snipe.

Thanks for the clearing up on the difference. I know the state of Fl has different bag limits on the snipe vrs woodcock with the woodcock being less. It makes sense with lake shore line vrs wooden areas for the 2 birds.

Most people hunt snipe in the semi-mud marsh fields as along as the water isn't to deep. Normally where ever greater and lesser yellow legs or sandpipers in general are located at, the snipe will be surely close by. Also any any that has had a controlled burn and clearing of vegation is surely to draw in new snipe.