Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:22   #1
cchardwick

45 Super for Bear? Is that enough?

I often go out into bear and mountain lion country up here in the rocky mountains and carry a sidearm. My usual carry is a 45ACP. I'm in the process of converting my G21 to a 45 Super with a new guide rod and recoil spring (24 pound) and will be shooting 45 Super Express (made by Texas-ammo.com). They claim that a 230 grain FMJ-FP can be pushed as fast as 1200 Feet per second! With 10 rounds of 45 Super, do you think this will stop a big black bear or just make him mad? Supposedly there are no grizzlies in CO. What do other people carry for bear? I have a Desert Eagle 44 mag but it's a monstrosity! There's no way I'm packing a five pound handgun up the side of a mountain! ;?
Old 12-30-2003, 16:04   #2
Sixgun_Symphony
NRA4EVR

If you carry .45acp, then go with FMJ or hard cast bullets for penetration. I don't know anything about the .45 Super, but those velocities you mentioned make me wonder about the recoil in a Glock. Perhaps you will need a heavier all steel gun to manage recoil?

Personally, I prefer the something that uses .45 Colt with standard cast 255gr bullets over anything that uses .45acp 235gr bullets when in bear country. Get a Ruger Bisley Vaquero and you can load 300gr bullet in the .45 Colt at magnum velocities.

Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 12-30-2003 at 16:08..
Sixgun_Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 16:48   #3
noway

Do a search here in this forum and caliber, but any handgun is least desired for bears.

45super would be much better than let's say a 380acp. With that said, you can never have too much gun for a bear.

One other thing to consider, the bullet load type is just important as the caliber and velocities. That's pretty much what 6gun pointed out. A good hunting bullet that offers penetration is need regardless if you pull out a 45super or 44mag.

{but those velocities you mentioned make me wonder about the recoil in a Glock. Perhaps you will need a heavier all steel gun to manage recoil? }

btw: the recoil in a G21 firing 45super is not bad if you add a heavier recoil spring. I fired triton .450smc out of my G21 w/22lb recoil spring ( non-captured ) and it wasn't bad at all.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 18:48   #4
ILikeFtLbs

The .45 Supers that I have shot out of my brother's converted Glock aveeraged only 1050 ft/sec in 230 gr 10 ft. from the muzzle. That said, I still think it'll handle ANY cougar around no problem. As far as black bears go, they're tough, but not invincible. Avoid them as much as possible, and if you're faced with the worst, let them have it. You're rig will keep you safe.
ILikeFtLbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 19:31   #5
KeithS
CLM Number 54
Charter Lifetime Member

45 Super for Bear? Is that enough?

IMO:

For a bear standing around minding its own business? Yes.

For a bear covering that 10 yards to you in 2 seconds to attack? No.
KeithS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:27   #6
noway

one more thing;

{They claim that a 230 grain FMJ-FP can be pushed as fast as 1200 Feet per second! With 10 rounds of 45 Super, do}

and compared to;

{I have shot out of my brother's converted Glock aveeraged only 1050 ft/sec in 230 gr 10 ft. from the muzzle.}

You have to read the fine print. The values the orginal poster spec is ony available w/a 6" bbl. What 1likeftlbs listed is most realistic for glocks with the 4.6" barrel.

So if you are carrying a G21 thinking you will get 1200fps for a 230gr, guess again.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 19:02   #7
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I was born and raised in Alaska,and spent much of my life in the Alaskan bush.A 45 super is not enough gun for a brown bear.I carried a 44 mag with hot loads,and 12 gauge pump riot gun with slugs,or a heavy rifle.The 44 mag is borderline and you would not want to go looking for a bear with a 44 mag.When they charge//are angry its a whole different story --its not like popping one when it does not know you are there.Think--the largest rifle//pistol you can shoot//carry--and you will be on the right track.I wish i would have had a 454 casull back in those days--with a heavy rifle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote