SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2003, 14:00   #1
Glock30 CCW
Gary in Pa.

Hoagies, Subs, or Heros?

What do YOU Guys call 'em? And from what part of the country are you? Up here in the North East, I believe hoagie is the preferred name (followed by sub) - ain't no hero's here!;f

If anyone has another name to call it - let's here it!^c

(does a speedie qualify? What the heck is a speedie?)

Gary in Pennsylvania
CZ-75D PCR Compact
CZ-75BD POLICE
Glock30 CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 15:12   #2
f1b32oPTic
R4d104c71v3

there are

grinders and cubans which are very much alike...
i like cubans alot, i used to eat them all the time when i lived in south fla.

i really like a real-deal steak and cheese done right where you cant even pick the thing up because it is just a mound of cheesy oniony beef piled onto a piece of hidden bread
f1b32oPTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 15:23   #3

As a certified expert on the subject, born an raised in Philadelphia, moved to Florida at age 38, I offer you the following priceless information. In Philly, HOAGIE only. While the quality of meat is important, the roll is also of equal importance. Crisp crust, soft inside. The rolls are a Philadelphia specialty. Suburb of Philadelphia, Norristown, they have a variation called a ZEP which had no veggies as I recall, but may be incorrect. Everywhere else it is optional to call them SUBS, HEROS, TORPEDOS. New England, especially Massachusetts, where my ex hails from calls them GRINDERS (In particular, hot oven grinders, Quizno's didn't invent them.) Down here in South Florida, the Latinos have CUBAN and MIDNIGHT sandwiches which are pressed-grilled sandwiches made with ham, pork, cheese, pickle chips and mustard..NO VEGGIES.
New Orleans makes a variation called POBOYS, especially the MUFFELETTA,which is an out-of-this-world sandwich, oven baked with a olive type of condiment. If you get to New Orleans, this is a must.
Anyway, to me they will always be hoagies.;Y

Bruce
Old 12-04-2003, 17:04   #4
Dragline

NY/NJ metro area...it's Subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 20:47   #5
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

This Pennsylvania native transplanted south calls 'em HOAGIES, but that's because I lived in Philly for eleven years as an adult. As a kid in another part of PA, we called 'em SUBS.

I understand a grinder is a hot hoagie. At least that's what I've always thought. I love those things. MMMMmmmmmm...

Shoeless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
View my

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 20:27   #6
MGGLOCK9

HOAGIES IN SE PA

During WWI workers in the old Hog Island shipyard in the Delaware river took to slicing a loaf of bread length-wise and stuffing it with meat, cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato etc etc. That became a hoggie and (because people in South Philadelphia can't talk good) later it became a hoagie.

An Italian hoagie with lots of olive oil and oregano..yum.

Wash it down with an ice cold Coke.

Burp with contentment.

Good Hoagies are avaliable all over SE PA but not west of the Norristown area.
MGGLOCK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:56   #7
Mild Bill

I was raised in South Jersey and we called them Hoagies...

In Florida we call them subs...
The cuban is a specific sammich... The Media Noche (Midnight) sandwich is a cuban,
just on a softer egg bread (roll)...

Sometimes cuban bread is rough on the the roof of your mouth because of the toasted crustiness.

;c
Big Dawg #154
Mild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 15:26   #8
J Sand
Lost cause

We call them subs here in Iowa.
J Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 20:16   #9
Glock30 CCW
Gary in Pa.

Facinating thing, this "Cuban"! I've never heard of it.;P What's the most traditional way of makin' this Cuban sammich?

Gary in Pennsylvania
CZ-75D PCR Compact
CZ-75BD POLICE
Old 12-07-2003, 20:23   #10
mike from philly

Oh, how I miss hoagies! Especially from those places where they haven't cleaned up in year and wouldn't pass the health inspection if they didn't bribe the inspector. You guys and gals from philly know what I mean.

I've been all over and Philly is the only place that uses the term Hoagies. Occasionally, you'll see a place that says they make hoagies but usually its run by some New Yorker. What the heck do New Yorkers know about hoagies let alone food. Heck they elected Hitlery ... but that is a different complaint. Usually its a major disappointment.

To me the secret is in the bread. You can't get good bread outside of Philly. The closest that I've found is Publix Supermarkets bread. It is still not the same though ... too clean. Bruce and Shoeless probally have found the same.

Most places call thier sandwiches Subs. Which is good since they are not up to same level as hoagies.

Anyone else miss tastycakes?

member -
- Fighting For Your Right To Bear Arms
mike from philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 20:43   #11
Glock30 CCW
Gary in Pa.

Quote:
The true connoisseur knows that they are called Tasty Kakes ;a ;a ;a

Hey! Philly ain't the only one's who call 'em hoagies!

Up here on da Poconos (Wilkes-Barre & Scranton), every street has a pizza joint, a sub shop, a bar, and a church! ;f

When I lived in San Diego, they were submarines. . . . .But I've called the beloved life-necessities (nest to Hot Wings and Pizza!) Hoagies since 1984.

Saaaay - I've thought of another one . . . . . . Gotta go start another topic!

Gary in Pennsylvania
CZ-75D PCR Compact
CZ-75BD POLICE
Old 12-07-2003, 21:19   #12
HandyMan Hugh
NRA Life Member

Re: Hoagies, Subs, or Heros?

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock30 CCW
What do YOU Guys call 'em? And from what part of the country are you? Up here in the North East, I believe hoagie is the preferred name (followed by sub) - ain't no hero's here!;f

If anyone has another name to call it - let's here it!^c

(does a speedie qualify? What the heck is a speedie?)

Gary in Pennsylvania
Gary, I somehow sense that you haven't been In PA for very long. Spiedies are meat cubes, (pork, chicken, beef, or lamb) that have been marinated in a "sauce" for at least two days. The "sauce" (marinade) receipes are often closely guarded family secrets. The Speidies are then grilled and served on buttered italian bread. DEEEELICIOUS! Some of the best ones are made with Salamida's State Fair Speidie Sauce, or are bought at Lupo's Deli in Endicott, NY.

Speidies are largely a reigional dish, and we locals make quite a big deal of them. There is an annual Speidie Festival at Otsiningo Park just outside of Binghamton that draws about 20,000 people over a weekend.

If you find Salamidas Speidie Sauce on your grocer's shelf, try some. You cut the meat into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes and marinate for at least two days. A little longer is better. Try'em, you might just like'em.
HandyMan Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:16   #13
Glock30 CCW
Gary in Pa.

Quote:
Salamidas Speidie Sauce
Yeah - we've got the speidie sauce here. But it's usually found right in the deli either on or around the glass display case. Here in Lackawanna County, they don't advertise . . . . . and it isn't all that popular (like you said, it's regional). BUT, when I was stationed @ Ft Drum, NY - I'd hear the insanely catchy radio commercials for Salamidas Speidie Sauce allllll the time. Even in Susquehanna County, Pa (on the border of NY state.)

We don't have a Quizno's here yet, but we see the TV commercials all the time.

Gary in Pennsylvania (since 1984)
CZ-75D PCR Compact
CZ-75BD POLICE
Old 12-08-2003, 08:01   #14
mike from philly

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock30 CCW
The true connoisseur knows that they are called Tasty Kakes ;a ;a ;a
As a product of a Philadelphia Public Schools, I'm lucky that I speak english let alone know how to spell. ;a

Actually, I've been away from Philly for 20 years .... thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Gawd, do I miss Philly food. Nothing compares.

member -
- Fighting For Your Right To Bear Arms
mike from philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:15   #15
Leigh

GRINDERS!
Perhaps the only great thing that came from living in western Mass for 4 years...Thier gun laws/politics suck pond water but this joint called Angelina's in Pittsfield had the BEST grinders ever made!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:20   #16
Glock30 CCW
Gary in Pa.

Quote:
As a product of a Philadelphia Public Schools
Yeah - I was victimized by that school system from 1984-1988.

According to my report cards, I did average to pretty good.

Then I moved to the Poconos and the North Pocono School District. They had computers, science/chemistry labs, a huge library, and a strong teaching faculty. And I was handed 3 solid F's and a D on my first progress report (freshman year HS).

It was like going from one extreme to the other!

The struggle was hard, but I passed that year and went on to be a B+ A- student.

Gary in Pennsylvania
CZ-75D PCR Compact
CZ-75BD POLICE
Old 12-08-2003, 08:36   #17
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

We call em subs here in SC, and it's hard to find a decent sub anywhere around here.

The best sub I have ever eaten was a Gondola from Avanti's Italian Restaurant in Peoria Illinois. It's the best bread I have ever tasted. It's got a chewy crust and a sweet taste, man it just makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Cuban sandwiches are awesome to. Every time I'm in the Tampa/St.Pete area I usually live on Cuban sandwiches. There is an awesome little Cuban restaurant in St. John's Pass that has makes a great Cuban sandwich. Columbia's in Ybor City makes a good one to.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 21:08   #18
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Quote:
Originally posted by mike from philly
I can get Tasty Kakes here, Mike! Ooooh I love me some-a dem Butterscotch Krimpets!

Shoeless
View my

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 21:16   #19
J Sand
Lost cause

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleGribble

The best sub I have ever eaten was a Gondola from Avanti's Italian Restaurant in Peoria Illinois. It's the best bread I have ever tasted. It's got a chewy crust and a sweet taste, man it just makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
DaleGribble...I've been there as well. They are quite possibly the best subs. I just wish there were places like that around here.
J Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:16   #20

originally posted by mike in philly:
Quote:
To me the secret is in the bread. You can't get good bread outside of Philly. The closest that I've found is Publix Supermarkets bread. It is still not the same though ... too clean. Bruce and Shoeless probally have found the same.
You bet Mike. It's funny how the best hoagie I have had in my 17 years in Florida, comes from Publix (a supermaket chain). Publix also makes the best bagels, better than any deli in South Florida. Now that is saying something!

Bruce