Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2004, 21:24   #1
ECVMatt

Hiking around the LA, CA area....

This would seem like a good reason to alway have a gun handy while you are out and about in the woods....

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2752064/detail.html

Matt
Old 01-12-2004, 18:04   #2
legalbroker

ECVMatt,

You once gave me some great info on packing in the CA mountain areas. I now make every attempt to pack either my 1911 or G22 when humping in the mountains. After you gave me the info, my friends and I went hiking and ended up being stalked by an animal. I was carring my 1911. We never could see what it was, but we were being stalked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
legalbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 18:30   #3
SMUNK
Detached Member

Quote:
Originally posted by legalbroker
ECVMatt,

You once gave me some great info on packing in the CA mountain areas. I now make every attempt to pack either my 1911 or G22 when humping in the mountains. After you gave me the info, my friends and I went hiking and ended up being stalked by an animal. I was carring my 1911. We never could see what it was, but we were being stalked.
Uh, I assume you don't have a carry permit.

Aren't you packing illegally then? Is it worth it?

Couldn't you cary a walking stick and a knife instead?

Believe me I'd like to be able to carry, but the legal ramifications could put you in a prohibited class and ban you from firearm ownership.
SMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 18:52   #4
ECVMatt

I have never had a problem carrying exposed..

in the mountians or deserts. As long as it is not a national park. I also have never had a ranger ask to check my backpack ect to see if I had a firearm. I would rather get the ccw ticket that get eaten. Legalbroker, I am glad the info was of help to you.

Matt
Old 01-12-2004, 19:11   #5
legalbroker

Well spoken ECVMatt......to many liberals here in CA that are worried about animals and laws. People come first to me, especially women,children and elderly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-12-2004, 19:20   #6
SMUNK
Detached Member

Re: I have never had a problem carrying exposed..

Quote:
Originally posted by ECVMatt
in the mountians or deserts. As long as it is not a national park. I also have never had a ranger ask to check my backpack ect to see if I had a firearm. I would rather get the ccw ticket that get eaten. Legalbroker, I am glad the info was of help to you.

Matt
I'm cool with carrying exposed. Sounds fine to me.

CCW Ticket? Its a misdemenor for the fisrt offense but you get arrested I believe. Second offense is a FELONY.

I appreciate the info too guys. I just want to make sure you don't get in any serious trouble. Yeah I know that being alive with a misdemenor is better than being dead and legal, I was just curious as to what method of carry and your knowledge of the rules. I appreciate the info too.

Is open carry legal outside city limits?
SMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 19:22   #7
legalbroker

If you are worried about packing a gun, carry it in your backpack or conceal it in a pouch. That is what I do.

Be safe!

Old 01-13-2004, 09:45   #8
commander

Re: Hiking around the LA, CA area....

Quote:
Originally posted by ECVMatt
This would seem like a good reason to alway have a gun handy while you are out and about in the woods....

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2752064/detail.html

Matt
Ignore the advice about CCW without a license. You will go to jail. Probably for a felony! If convicted, you will lose your gun rights! Also, a pistol in a backpack will do absolutely no good if you are attacked by a mountain lion. You will not have time to get to your weapon.

In California, most County, State & National Parks are off limits to carry of firearms for self protection. Even with a CCW License, you cannot carry in a National Park.

If your outdoor activities are done on National Forest or BLM land, you can have a self-defense firearm at your campsite. With few exceptions, such as within a wilderness preserve, you could carry a firearm (openly) IF you have a legal reason and can articulate it. "Self-defense" may or may not fly, depending on the LEO you encounter. IMHO - It's too subjective.
Hint - have a hunting and or fishing license and know the regulations. Many critters are open season all year.
Target shooting is also a legitimate activity unless you're in an area closed to shooting.
Big Dawg, Thin To Win, Sub Club & .40 S&W Club #4577
NRA - Endowment Member

commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:20   #9
ECVMatt

I did not mean for this to turn in to a CCW debate.

Matt

Last edited by ECVMatt; 01-13-2004 at 11:26..
ECVMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:40   #10
Ned Ludd

Send a message via AIM to Ned Ludd Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Ludd
This debate was of more than academic interest to me last weekend. I led a Boy Scout Troop on a hike to the top of Santiago Peak. My wife was very worried about mountain lion attacks. She wanted me to take one of my guns. I thought about it, but decided not to do it. Not only could have gotten serious trouble, it could cause a lot of trouble for the Boy Scouts and the other parents.

I've been looking for a legal way to carry in the local mountains. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Most of the areas to locally are closed to hunting and target shooting. California permits that allow open or concealed carry don't help either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--NL
Old 01-13-2004, 13:15   #11
commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned Ludd
California permits that allow open or concealed carry don't help either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--NL
A Calif. License to Carry Concealed Firearms is valid anywhere in the state with very few exceptions. They are: Federal courts and military installations, National Parks, sterile areas of airports, polling places, picket lines and maybe guns shows.

While still legal, other places, with security personnel and magnetometers guarding the entrance, may refuse you admittance. Some Orange County locations are Sheriffs Stations, certain court buildings and several amusement parks.

CCW or not I'd get and carry some pepper spray to go on Boy Scout outings. Preferably the big can (2.5 oz. is still legal).
NRA - Endowment Member

Old 01-13-2004, 13:22   #12
legalbroker

Agreed Matt, this discussion was not intended to be a ccw permit talk. It was about protecting loved ones.

Old 01-13-2004, 13:35   #13
commander

Quote:
Originally posted by legalbroker
Agreed Matt, this discussion was not intended to be a ccw permit talk. It was about protecting loved ones.
FYI - I'm not debating CCW issues here. Just trying to answer the original post.

I offered a polite warning against breaking the law. You don't seem to be interested so let me put it another way.

Eric don't like people advocating illegal activity on his forum.
NRA - Endowment Member

Old 01-13-2004, 14:02   #14
Stormfeather

Send a message via ICQ to Stormfeather
I truly agree with ya matt, But why break the law? A good solid walking stick or a can of Mace works just as well without all the legal ramifications.

Loki Stormfeather
ECV LSD 3
What Say The Brother?
Stormfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 14:32   #15
ECVMatt

Always good to here from a brother....

After reading commanders post I became a bit concearned with what I was doing. I am a teacher and a felony would preclude me from my trade. So I went to the CA AG's page and found out some interesting info. I was curious because I have had a few interactions with DFG, BLM, and rangers and not once did anyone say a word about my handgun. I learned from the AG's site that if you are actively enguaged in hunting or fishing then you can legally carry a gun. You may also keep a gun at your campsite as well as carry it on your person at your campsite. I guess since most of the time I am hunting or fishing there is no problem. I also carry my gun exposed. I do not hike in the local state parks because for me getting outside does not mean being around a bunch of people on hiking trails. I like to go to desolate places that are far away from cities and such. When I talked about rangers checking packs, I guess I should have explained where I normally go to get a way. But, since I normally hunt or fish while I hike this really isn't an issue for me. I you go to a park where firearms are prohibited then a stick or peperspay would be a good alternative. I think I will just stay out of those places and not worry about it.

Matt

Satisfactory??
Slim Princess 395
Old 01-13-2004, 18:29   #16
duncan
Lifetime Membership

We should adhere to the law.

It's a personal moral question.

But it's also a survival question as to whether you want to risk a possible mountain lion attack, or more likely, an attacked by some felons without protection. A knife or pepper spray may be legal to carry as well.

Let's just be responsible about what we say before we type it here.
Old 01-13-2004, 22:17   #17
arnold ziffle
aka dingle

and so recorded
arnold ziffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:03   #18
Stormfeather

Send a message via ICQ to Stormfeather
always good to see a brother as well

aye, I second that, and so recorded!
bean feed next month anyone?