Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2004, 19:23   #1
antediluvianist

Police admit they can't protect citizens

Yeah, but the point is, the police themselves admit they can't protect journalists ( or anyone else, actually).

Tuesday, August 10, 2004 9:10 AM
IFJ: Guns not the answer to attacks on journalists

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), the global organization representing over 500,000 journalists worldwide, slammed the "more guns" response of the Philippines National Police (PNP) to the increased attacks against journalists in the country.

Six Filipino journalists have been reported attacked in the past eight days, with two journalists dead.

The PNP announced Friday that journalists would be allowed to carry firearms in response to the increased attacks against journalists.

"This is completely the wrong approach. More guns are simply not the answer to the crisis facing journalists in the Philippines," said IFJ President Christopher Warren.

"Journalists are independent observers and should not be encouraged to be active combatants in the increasingly dangerous domestic environment in the Philippines," he said.

"This move is entirely counterproductive. It will only result in more journalists being hurt," Warren said in a letter to President Arroyo.

Broadcast journalist Jonathan "Jun" Abayon was shot Sunday after an argument with his attacker inside a car in General Santos City. Abayon, 27, died Monday. It is too early in the investigation to ascertain if the attack is connected to his journalistic work.
Last week unidentified attackers shot three broadcasters from Bantay Radyo Cebu, in Cebu City. George Benaojan, Kelvin Carillo and Gildoer Fuentes survived the ambush. There were questions around the motive of the attack.

In a letter to Mrs. Arroyo, the IFJ offered cautious support for the spirit behind the moves to stop the killing spree against journalists but argued the "more guns" strategy promotes more violence and an increased state of lawlessness in the country.

"The actions taken by the Government of the Philippines are counter-productive and encourage those with gripes against journalists to resort to violence," said Warren.

"It is the job of the police to enforce the law and protect its citizens. For the police to effectively abandon their responsibility to protect journalists is an abysmal state of affairs," said the IFJ.
abs-cbnNews.com
Old 08-09-2004, 19:36   #2
9MX
Rei!

now i want 2 be a journalist;z
Old 08-09-2004, 20:50   #3
mikey177
Remember

Hey, if the journalists don't want permits to carry, I'd be more than happy to receive one or two in their place
mikey177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 00:11   #4
cznayr
Dis-member

Send a message via Yahoo to cznayr
I agree with Mikey.. However, I do not agree that all journalists could carry.. There should be an assessment made (assessments=just grease money ) Imagine Remate reporters carrying!

I also believe that most of the journalists nowadays are carrying like tulfo and bondoc. So no need for the PNP to issue statements like that.

Last edited by cznayr; 08-10-2004 at 19:44..
cznayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 00:39   #5
casmot
Re membered

Quote:
Originally posted by 9MX
now i want 2 be a journalist;z
Pwede pa kaya as a requirement my old press ID ko... ;f
Old 08-10-2004, 02:56   #6
jundeleon

Arming journalists is another senseless knee-jerk reaction by the PNP to a series of unrelated incidents that only shows the police force's inability to uphold the law.

Its the perfect solution to the wrong problem, medicine to cure the symptoms, not the disease.

If 6 cpas or 6 doctors or 6 drivers are killed in several days, will that be enough reason to adopt a shall-issue policy on PTCFORs for people in these professions?

The solution is for the PNP to put its act together and do its job efficiently and effectively.

If journalists want to carry, I think they have the right to do so but with the proper qualification training and documentary requirements that everybody else is subjected to.

I was in media for 10 years and I saw no need to carry as a journalist. I carried a gun not because of my profession then but because I lived in a neighborhood that is relatively dangerous, for journalists and non-journalists.

And believe me, with the meager take home pay of most journalists nowadays, a gun may be the last in their things-to-buy lists.
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 13:14   #7
julianz
toxic master

[And believe me, with the meager take home pay of most journalists nowadays, a gun may be the last in their things-to-buy lists. [/B][/QUOTE]

exactly ..but what if their company pays for it ? tutal journalist naman talaga ang buhay ng media outfits. kung walang foot soldiers di makakadiskarteng magisa and general.

But i agree with the statement na arming the journalist or civilianz is not the solution to the problem.

Maybe the 3oo+ newly grad cops can make a difference..our poor country is in short of PNP manpower and lack full implemantation of our laws ..puro pamumulitiko naman ang inaasikaso ng mga statesmen/women ...

Mentioning Politicians they should be the ones taking big steps on resolving this issue . mga journalist ang nilalapitan nila pag mageelection aba eh utang na loob man lamang kumilos kayo .. Politicians
julianz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 21:57   #8
jundeleon

Media outfits will never shoulder the costs of guns for their people. Some cannot even provide enough transportation and fare money for their reporters.

A lot of newspapers are barely surviving. A government-run group of newspapers based in the port area, actually one of the biggest in the country, has not paid its correspondents since February. To think that correspondents are paid only 300 to 500 pesos per story. Me araw na wala pa.
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote