Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:31   #1
Cola di Rienza
Vordhosbn

Hardee's: bunless hamburgers

http://www.fastfoodforums.com/forum/...oto=nextoldest

DES MOINES, Iowa (Dow Jones)--Bunless burgers are going on the menu at Hardee's restaurants.

Bowing to the popularity of low-carbohydrate diets, the fast-food chain said it is offering customers the option of ordering Thickburger sandwiches with the meat wrapped in lettuce leaves.

The low-carb Thickburgers come in three sizes - one-third pound, one-half pound and two-thirds pound. Prices for the charbroiled bunless burgers are the same as those with buns, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday. Hardee's is a unit of CKE Restaurants Inc.

As a 30-year fast-food restaurant veteran, spending eight to 10 hours a day inside a restaurant and on the road, Dan Zeliff, regional vice president for Hardee's in St. Louis, has eaten more than his fair share of fast-food over the years. "I admit, I probably overindulged," said Zeliff.

But when Zeliff decided it was time to cut back on consumption, he didn't want to sacrifice quality or taste. So, he began ordering Hardee's 1/3-, 1/2- and 2/3-pound Angus beef Thickburgers(TM) without the bun. To his surprise, the bun wasn't the only thing Zeliff lost; he ended up shedding 40 pounds. Not wanting to be left out, his wife also joined him on his low-carb kick. She lost 30 pounds.

"I actually wasn't trying to diet," said Zeliff, "I just wanted to cut a few calories. I was surprised with the results."

"Dan's story was kind of an eye opener," said Brad Haley, executive vice president of marketing for Hardee's. "And, after hearing many similar stories from other employees, franchisees and our guests, we decided to investigate the opportunity as a possible new product idea. What we found was that about 32 million Americans are currently reducing carbohydrates in their diets, and that number is growing every day."

"We knew that Hardee's could offer a better low-carb burger than any other quick-service burger chain because Hardee's offers big, seasoned Angus beef patties. In fact, Thickburger patties taste great right out of the charbroiler with nothing on them, and no other chain can say that."

The new Low Carb Thickburger is made from a 1/3-pound Angus beef hamburger patty and wrapped in iceberg lettuce leaves. The amount of ketchup was reduced compared to other Thickburger menu items, but the product has a full dose of mustard, mayo, cheese, tomato, dill pickles and red onion. The resulting five grams of carbohydrates, or three net carbohydrates (carbohydrates less fiber and sugar alcohols), make the product an appropriate option for even the most stringent carb counters.

The Hardee's Low Carb Thickburger is served in a paper "half wrap" and comes in its own cardboard carton, both of which make eating a lettuce- wrapped, bunless burger a much easier task than would be the case with typical fast-food packaging.

Participating Hardee's restaurants will begin selling the Low Carb Thickburger on Monday, Dec. 15. Suggested retail price is $2.89, though prices may vary.

Introduced in January of this year, the Hardee's line of Thickburgers gives burger lovers a level of quality and taste unparalleled in the quick- service burger industry. Made from 1/3-, 1/2- and 2/3-pound Angus beef patties, the Thickburgers are charbroiled, topped with premium, quality ingredients and are served wrapped in individual boxes. Including the new Low Carb Thickburger, there are now a total of nine Thickburgers on the Hardee's menu.

CKE Restaurants is the first quick-service restaurant operator to promote a low-carbohydrate burger on its menu. In addition to the Hardee's Low Carb Thickburger(TM), CKE has also introduced the Low Carb Six Dollar Burger(TM) through its Carl's Jr. restaurant chain.

==========================================================

Has anyone tried one of these things? It seems a bit silly to me.

I believe I'll start marketing my own two-step program to cater to these trendy dieters. I'll call it the Get Off Your A** and Stop Eating Fast Food diet. ;f
Cola di Rienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31   #2
noway

Hey, I've been doing that for years, Specially when I run out of bread or buns and to lazy to run down to the store to get more buns.

LOL.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:33   #3
commander

I eat a Carl's Jr. 1-2 a week. 6 dollar low-carb burgers are great.

In & Out will wrap your double-double or 3X3 or 4X4 in lettuce if you ask nice.

Subway wraps.

TGI Fridays has a low-carb menu.

Grocery stores sell Brayer's "CarbSmart" ice-cream for desert.

Somehow I think this Atkins way of life is more than just a "fad diet".
Big Dawg, Thin To Win, Sub Club & .40 S&W Club #4577
NRA - Endowment Member
http://www.calccw.com
http://www.occcws.com
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 19:29   #4
colorado23

Oh, I love In-N-Out Burger! Now I have to go to Vegas, closest one to me.^7
Old 01-09-2004, 20:08   #5
Cola di Rienza
Vordhosbn

Quote:
Somehow I think this Atkins way of life is more than just a "fad diet".
Well, when the Atkins people are still doing it 10 years from now, I'll concede. Until then, it's my belief that the majority of them will put their weight back on eventually.. same as 90% of the people who hopped on the slim fast bandwagon when it first hit the market.
Cola di Rienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 21:30   #6
MrsKitty

I have heard the Hardee's burgers are good.
Old 01-09-2004, 23:25   #7
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Had one today. Good beef, but pretty messy. Especially when driving 75 mph...
Old 01-11-2004, 14:31   #8
darin2

Quote:
Originally posted by Cola di Rienza
Well, when the Atkins people are still doing it 10 years from now, I'll concede. Until then, it's my belief that the majority of them will put their weight back on eventually.. same as 90% of the people who hopped on the slim fast bandwagon when it first hit the market.
FYI, Atkins has been around since the 1960's .....so it's been doing it more like 30+ years.

The Hardee's burger is pretty good. I had one a few weeks ago.

Darin
darin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 21:36   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Cola di Rienza
Well, when the Atkins people are still doing it 10 years from now, I'll concede.
Enthusiasm for the 32-year-old diet is as strong as ever in established markets, helped by a strong internet profile, celebrity association and the lure of rapid weight loss.

It is estimated that 30 million people in the United States have adopted low-carbohydrate diets, of which the Atkins model is the most stringent and the most popular.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...437522442.html

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:51   #10
nickg

my atkins diet starts and ends where is says NO POTATOES OR PASTA OR BREAD.

how bout a big ****ue you to dr. atkins!!!