Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:18   #1
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Restaurant Recommendations Wash DC

Hi all;

I will be visiting Washington DC next week and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a nice restaurant for the wife and myself to dine in. Nothing dressy, just a nice cozy place with good food, we enjoy many different types of cuisines.
Old 01-16-2004, 15:28   #2
Roland-G23
STI Convert

Send a message via ICQ to Roland-G23

I escaped from DC (off E. Capitol and 6th St. NE) in January 1996.

Armand's Pizzeria near Union Station has excellent pizza. There are a few good places to eat at Union Station. There are some nice places in the Dupont Circle area and in Georgetown.

I really can't remember any place names other than Armand's. I had a low-paying gig with the National Park Service and the ex-wife was unemployed during the time we lived there so we didn't eat out much.
Roland-G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 17:22   #3
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Roland;

Thanks for the reply. We'll probably look around DuPont Circle.
Old 01-16-2004, 22:47   #4
308endurdebate

Old Town Alexandria is always nice. Chart House is right on the water and if its only you and the wife, you can get a seat beside the fireplace.

As Roland said, Dupont and Gtown are good as well. You can hop the metro to Chinatown - although there is better Chinese food outside of Chinatown. If your here on the 22nd, Chinatown will have Chinese New Year's stuff going on and the Arch is pretty cool.

-ken

Since this is the glocktalk forum - DC is a no pistol area (unless you're DC or Fed LE).
308endurdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 23:13   #5
NoVAlooker
What Me Worry

Send a message via AIM to NoVAlooker
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland-G23
Armand's Pizzeria near Union Station has excellent pizza. There are a few good places to eat at Union Station. There are some nice places in the Dupont Circle area and in Georgetown.

Ugh!

I can't stand Armands .... but it is cheap - the all you can eat lunch special is a staple of hill life.

What kind of budget are you on, and what kind of food do you like? Lots of great restaurants in DC and if I remember correctly, next week is restaurant week as well, so you'll see some great specials (3 course meals, etc) around town. Let me know what your looking for, and I will tell you where to go.
NoVAlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 23:26   #6
NoVAlooker
What Me Worry

Quote:
Originally posted by 308endurdebate
Old Town Alexandria is always nice. Chart House is right on the water and if its only you and the wife, you can get a seat beside the fireplace.

As Roland said, Dupont and Gtown are good as well. You can hop the metro to Chinatown - although there is better Chinese food outside of Chinatown. If your here on the 22nd, Chinatown will have Chinese New Year's stuff going on and the Arch is pretty cool.

-ken

Since this is the glocktalk forum - DC is a no pistol area (unless you're DC or Fed LE).
Ugh and double Ugh!
I'd place the Chart house right up with phillips seafood - no no no no. Much better fish available. If you want seafood and can afford it (25 + plate) go to Oceanaire at 13th and G (or is it F) or McCormick and Shmidts (K St, btwn 16 and 17) or Georgetown Seafood (2 blocks south of Dupont on 19th St - which is a great place for restaurants generally). for something a little different - try Mar de Plata - Seafood South American style - my favorite unknown restaurant in DC. Its at 14 and P or thereabouts. The whole 14th street corridor has really boomed recently, and there is a nice variety of good restaurant sthere. Also might want to check out Adams Morgan - though I think its gotten overrated in recent years.

Lots of good places in DuPont - Savinos is ok (though Savino himself is a shyster and a bit pompous, but he knows what it takes to open a successful restaurant) - its right on the Circle - Going up Connecticut a couple of blocks is Anna Marias - my favorite italian place around here cause it tastes like my grandmas cooking (Magianos is pretty good too, especially for a chain, the eggplant parmasean is outstanding)

As far as Chinese goes, I'd generally avoid Chinatown as no chinese live there. If you want good chinese or korean, you have to hit the Virginia burbs - annandale is great for korean, but they are really all over the place. Try the Hope Key at Clarendon. Top notch restaurant.

For a neat Bush treat - hit the Peking Duck in Baileys crossroads - 41's favorite restaurnt and stillfrequently visited by them.

For a great guide to the best ethnic dinning - follow go here:
http://www.gmu.edu/jbc/Tyler/ethnicnewest.doc

Tyler Cowen is an Economics professor at George Mason - he also runs the Mercatus Center and is a contributor to the Volokh conspiracy blog. He has some great recommendations.

Like i said, let me know what you want to eat, and what your budget is, and I will steer you to the right place.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:59   #7
KY Moose

Try this out. www.washington.dc.diningguide.net

If you get a chance, take Metro's Yellow or Blue line to the King Street Station in Alexandria. There is a large selection of good restaurants in Old Town Alexandria along King Street.

I recommend stopping by Murphy's Irish Pub at 713 King Street. Their Jameson's Strip Steak is out of this world. It's a NY Strip seasoned with spices and Jameson's Irish Whiskey. It's even better when you wash it down with a pint or two. ;c

If you have not been there before, stop by the National Law Enforcement Memorial at Judiciary Square. Here is a link to it, www.nleomf.com
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:19   #8

Try this, heard the food is Texas style and service is great, but they don't permit packing.

http://shopping.corbis.com/search/en...ageid=11976527

Bruce
Old 01-17-2004, 08:13   #9
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I knew this was the place to ask my question. Thanks for all of the replies, and Nova I think you've hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:30   #10
NoVAlooker
What Me Worry

Quote:
Originally posted by KY Moose
Try this out. [url]
If you have not been there before, stop by the National Law Enforcement Memorial at Judiciary Square. Here is a link to it, www.nleomf.com
The memorial is great. To really appreciate it though, you need to wake up early on a bright sunny morning and get off at the Judiciary Square Metro Stop (Red Line). Exit on the Building Museum/Memorial Side (the other side is DC Govt Buildings and the Courthouse)

As yo ucome up the escalator, the beautiful red brick of the building museum comes into view. Easily the prettiest building in DC. The Frieze is a dramatic portrayal of the Civil War, its usually got a good exhibit or two, but is fun just to look at (and enter it and see the huge columns inside) The police memorial is right there too and your only a block away from Chinatown (which I've already warned you about - though its decent for Dim Sum)