Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2004, 18:46   #1
MrsKitty

Whole Boneless Pork Loin

I came by the grocery store tonight and found a whole boneless pork loin. I have never cooked one of these things before.

What do I do with it?

I was thinking of just salt & pepper-ing it then putting it in a browing bag on about 350* for awhile?

Anybody got any other suggestions?
Old 02-10-2004, 19:16   #2
Penman
Goauche User

The Chinese BBQ (Char Siu) marinades would work well. You can usually get the marinade mix at an Asian grocery store, the Noh brand from Hawaii is good. Have some soy sauce and hot mustard for a dip, along with some toasted sesame seeds.
Old 02-10-2004, 19:49   #3
hunter66

Send a message via AIM to hunter66
I would add your favorite spices and marinade and put it in the crock pot with some fresh garlic and some red potatos. Turn it on when you go to work and add a salad for a nice meal when you get home. Or if you can watch it, I would smoke it in a smoker or on the grill.
Old 02-10-2004, 20:23   #4
noway

that's my second best cut of pork next to the butt.

I like to marinade the outer edge with a slight mixture of cayenne pepper and mild English mustard. Slow smoke for about 1hr per pound. Thin sliced and it goes about good with anything. One small pork lion ( under 4lbs ) last me on avg 2days.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 20:58   #5
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

A friend of mine takes pork loins and marinates them in chopped garlic, olive oil, and Konrikos Greek Seasoning blend.

Bake in oven...DELICIOUS!
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 23:44   #6
hwyhobo

I vote for dry rub with herbs, salt, and pepper, and then slowly smoked.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 00:08   #7
Medford4
Hired Gun

Haven't tried it yet, but when I get one, I'll season it, marinade it, and stick it on my rotisserie.;a

If someone wrote a book about your life, would anybody want to read it?

Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who won't.
NRA Endowment member
Medford4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19   #8
nickg

just throw it in the oven and roast it according to the directions. this ain't "rocket surgery" here!! ;f ;f

the ones already marinated are quite good. next time i get one though i'm going to get a plain one and do my own usual marinade.

they are QUITE tender and juicy. YUMMY!!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:30   #9
grenadier

What kind of "ethnic" seasonsings do you want?

Here's a marinade from a Korean's kitchen:

Kikoman soy sauce (from the metal cans)
Dark sesame seed oil
Crushed garlic buds
Cracked black peppercorns
Molasses (sugar also works fine)

This marinade penetrates rapidly.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45   #10
rdsharp

I like to salt and pepper the meat, then rub on herbs de provence (a mixture of marjoram, thyme, savory, basil and rosemary), and brown the roast off in a heavy pan. I then remove the roast, and add about 5-6 sliced golden delicious apples to the pan (yes, they will cook down to almost mush) and lightly saute in the pan drippings. Return the meat to the pan, and roast in the oven at 350-375 until the meat reaches the desired internal temperature.
rdsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 15:33   #11
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Cut through it about 2/3 of the way. Make a mixture of canned peaches, thyme leaves, garlic and 2 sticks of butter. Stuff that inside and tie it up.
Salt and pepper the outside, roast at 300f untill inside reads 135f. Let sit for 20 minutes. Carve and be amazed!
Old 02-11-2004, 18:39   #12
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Misskitty, please don't fall for anyone telling you that you have to cook pork to medium well or more. Pork is perfectly safe to eat medium rare to medium and it's wonderful that way. Especially the tenderloin. YUM. In fact, I have a pork tenderloin thawing downstairs at this very minute.

From the CDC web site:

Q: Is trichinellosis common in the United States?

A: Infection was once very common; however, infection is now relatively rare. From 1991-1996, an annual average of 38 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

Shoeless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
View my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

and
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 18:56   #13
hunter66

Send a message via AIM to hunter66
Yeah, mad cow and bird flu is also very rare, however, you still should cook pork to at least 150 degrees. That I can promise you.
Old 02-11-2004, 22:34   #14
MrsKitty

Hi yall,

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided that this bad boy is going on the grill this Saturday when we will be home all day long;f I don't know what I didn't think of that on my own.

This thing is HUGE! It will take several hours over low heat. I am assuming that it is ok to just treat it like a boston butt when we do BBQ?

I plan on making some BBQ sauce too. Secret recipie;f

Mmmmmm....I can't wait.
Old 02-17-2004, 13:50   #15
hispeedlodrag
needs vacation

I like pork loin roasts, but I find the supermaket variety to be more lean than I like. If I can't find one with some fat, I brine the roast or top it with strips of bacon to keep it moist.
Many times I stuff the roast with sauteed mire poix, breadcrumbs, fresh sage, and dried fruit such as: apples, figs, prunes, or apricots. Port sauce goes well with it too.
hispeedlodrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:41   #16
9mm4me

Dry rub(paprika, oregano, cilantro, coarse ground sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, dried ground chipotle pepper,garlic powder, sugar)

Pat dry the roast and rub liberally with dry rub. Smoke with mesquite until digital thermometer reads 160. For final 15 minutes spread on your fav BBQ sauce doped up with honey. This forms a beautiful glaze. Let sit for at least 5 to 10 minutes before carving.

Last edited by 9mm4me; 02-18-2004 at 02:45..
9mm4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 17:32   #17
mtnflk75
Hermit..,..

Whole Pork Loin..

I deep fried one on New Years, it was awsome. I cut it into thirds ( it was about 18" long) rubbed it well with garlic, course black pepper and Tabasco Seasoning Salt. Fried it for about 25 minutes, was golden brown and really moist and tender. It was a big hit along with the Prime Rib that I deep fried also.

" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome..., neither am I... "
mtnflk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 00:11   #18
Medford4
Hired Gun

Was watching Jim Zumbo today, and he had a simple recipe for a Bear roast that I'm sure would work just fine for pork. Just season the roast with anything you like, put it in a roasting bag, tie it tight, put a few slits in the top of the bag, put it in a roaster, and bake it in an oven at 200 degrees for 7 hours. It will be falling apart tender by then.

If someone wrote a book about your life, would anybody want to read it?

Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who won't.
NRA Endowment member
Medford4 is offline   Reply With Quote