Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2004, 19:22   #1
Sixgun_Symphony
NRA4EVR

How many here use wood burning cookstoves?

Food Forum
Sixgun_Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:43   #2
chip00

There is a challenge for the cook.
Mom cooked on one while we were on vacation in Northern Ontario
and did a good job of it. The same stove we used to warm us up on those cold August mornings in our one room log cabin.
(Frog Rapids Camp, Sioux Lookout, Ontario)
Old 03-08-2004, 10:11   #3
lwt210

I used to have this friend that would let me hunt on his seven hundred acre farm who had an older "potbellied" wood burning stove and oven.

The thing was probably decades old and was quite small for a stove/oven.

This old man that I befriended had a huge farmhouse which he used for storage ever since his wife left him. They had no kids and he lived alone in a little two room hut which he built behind the farmhouse. He used that stove to heat and for all of the cooking that he did.

I would come in from the woods in the mornings (sometimes with deer but most times not) and he would have the biggest, best tasting "cat head" buttermilk biscuits going in that little wood burning stove and a pot of coffee perculating on the top. He'd have thick cut bacon going on a little cast iron skillet right next to the coffee.

As soon as I got within a hundred yards of the hut and barn, I could smell the aroma of that breakfast awaiting me. I was the only one that he would let hunt on his land and he would feed me every morning. In return, I would help him with his cattle and woodworking chores that he had neglected to get around to. We had a good time even though several generations seperated us.

That wood burning stove and the biscuits that he would make in it is one of the fondest memories I have about my high school/college days.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:51   #4
noway

My grand parants had one and still have it after 50yrs + of use. ( they have converted to electric range but use the stove now a a heat source )

Great old stove that serve for cooking foods, keeping a kettle of water hot and warming the house. A great challenge to cook on but if you want to mimic the old days when gas was not around this is the thing todo it on. Very little bit of maintenance is need and they never wear out, just add wood ;f
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:53   #5
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

You can see my wood cook stove on the right of this top picture. This picture was taken before I moved into my house in 1998. I moved in the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and the next day I fixed Thanksgiving dinner for 7 guests on the wood stove. I cooked EVERYTHING on/in the wood stove including the pies. I also have a propane stove, which admitingly gets more use today than the wood stove, but for the first 6-9 months I lived in my home I used the wood stove for 99% of my cooking.

Food Forum

Below are some pictures my mother-in-law took of me this past December as I fixed breakfast.

Food Forum Food Forum Food Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote