Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2014, 20:10   #1
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Here goes nuthin'...

Loading up my first rounds tonight. 175gr. cast lead, 800x and Winchester primers. Can't decide which load to use. Lyman 49 has one with a COL of 1.253, starting at 7.7gr, and one measuring 1.260 at 7.0 starting. It is from a Lee tumble lube mold.

Wish me luck!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Well based on what I have seen a 175 Cast TCBB from the Lyman mold has better gas sealing bands and the LEE TL has smaller thinner bands.

Good lube is essential when driving these puppies down the pipe!

I size mine (Lyman 175 TCBB) to 0.4015" Lubed with Carnauba Red from White Label. Working well from S&W and Glocks. No leading. I pushed my 156gr Devastator cast HP (same design as the 175 TCBB but with HP nose "Obsolete Mold") to 1400 fps with very little leading.

Some are now using Poly Powder coated paint baked on with good results and no lube.

I use 1.2550" for my Overall Lengths this yields good feeding, just insure you have a very tight bullet to case fit to prevent setback issues!

You will need to use slightly more case mouth flaring, seat bullets to proper depth without any crimp being applied, and crimp in separate step for best results.

Best of luck!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 18:07   #3
Andrew Wiggin

I think you've got some room either way. I just posted a test of a 195 gr Mihec that I loaded over 8.0 gr 800X. No pressure signs there. I'm not saying you should start there, just that you ought to be well within safe limits.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 18:31   #4
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Good luck buddy!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 19:33   #5
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Things got hectic last night, and tonight ain't looking any better. I have a Dillon case gauge and 10 ammo boxes coming. I'll need something to put it all in, and want to triple check my cases, just to be sure. I'm fine with hand weighing every charge. What are some good methods for this? I don't have a powder trickler, and am using a small Lee dipper and a Terminator scale.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Old 06-25-2014, 19:55   #6
ctious

The 175 Lee tc I had dropped at 184. I loaded those all the way to 11.3 gr with zero issues. It was the most accurate load I have found. Not to add it was doing 1610 out of my 6 on long slide.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 19:59   #7
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I just want some good plinking loads. Say about 1100 fps, but I have a lot to learn about working up, ladders, and such. Zero plans for max loads or nukes any time in the near future. I'd like to be able to reuse the brass a few times. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by Angry Fist; 06-25-2014 at 20:00..
Old 06-25-2014, 20:11   #8
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Using the dippers, try throwing some in the scale pan and see just how close to the same weight they are to where you want to be.

You can't beat having the trickler to drop a kernel at a time especially with 800X. I use an RCBS Uniflow set to throw slightly under to exactly the target weight. Trickle up the lighter to exact...I work very close to the upper edge on many 10mm loads, but my target stuff benefits as well from being on the money with extreme accuracy!

Some powders like Power Pistol, AA#7, CFE, AA#9 throw extremely accurate and powders like Blue Dot, LongShot within -0.1 to +0.1 grains, sometimes +/- 0.2 grains but these are not the norm.

800X is a different flake and can show +/- 0.3 depending how it settles in the hopper. from my RCBS uniflow it is usually closer to target weight.
Old 06-25-2014, 20:16   #9
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I was really hoping for some AA9, to be able to go a little faster, but I'm sure some will be available soon. Thanks, Shadow! I need to make it back to the 10 forum, as I haven't been there since y'all started it.

Old 06-25-2014, 20:33   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

You're welcome, I'm still around here but am moderating over at the 10mmFirearms Forum
http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

Have been doing pull downs of many factory/commercial ammo and documenting what is found...If you get a chance drop by!

The AA#7 & #9 are good powders but Power Pistol, CFE, 800x and LongShot will get you more shots and performance for less powder used saving $$$.
Old 06-25-2014, 20:37   #11
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
You're welcome, I'm still around here but am moderating over at the 10mmFirearms Forum
http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

Have been doing pull downs of many factory/commercial ammo and documenting what is found...If you get a chance drop by!

The AA#7 & #9 are good powders but Power Pistol, CFE, 800x and LongShot will get you more shots and performance for less powder used saving $$$.
That's what I meant! I was like the ~30th member there (MO Fugga). I was there last night researching 800x, and saw the Underwood pull-downs. I'm glad you guys have your **** together there. Very informative!

Old 06-25-2014, 21:24   #12
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Thanks! Preservation and documentation will keep the history alive and well for the 10mm cartridge, as others can learn of the products they buy, use or just want to research and load their own.

Mike McNett started listing stuff here as he tested but since he went big time, it has consumed his socializing here. But I learned a lot from his notes here as did many others.

I'm constantly seeking knowledge to produce better ammo for myself, so I test when I can. I'm currently trying out the new CFE Pistol powder, it has been slow, but its only because getting a place to set up the stuff & chrono to gather data and to evaluate the results. Getting velocity readings, collecting the brass and in some instances capture of the fired bullets, making visual observations on location and then taking measurements to document the findings.

Just today I managed to get off one 9x25 Dillon load tested, it was very hot out and beat the rain storm. But I like doing the test!
Old 06-25-2014, 21:28   #13
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

BTW, this must be in the acronymfinder, because of you and the girl in the picture...

What does GTDS stand for?
GTDS stands for Glock Talk's Drunk Squad (firearms forum)

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Glock-Talk's-Drunk-Squad-(firearms-forum)-(GTDS).html
Old 06-25-2014, 21:28   #14
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Sounds like fun! From the beginning, I wanted to try 9x25, but didn't. Got 6" barrels in 10, 40, and 357 but sold them all.

Old 06-25-2014, 21:30   #15
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
BTW, this must be in the acronymfinder, because of you and the girl in the picture...

What does GTDS stand for?
GTDS stands for Glock Talk's Drunk Squad (firearms forum)

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Glock-T...m)-(GTDS).html
I'll be damned.... Makes me feel like Steve Martin finding his number in the phone book!

Old 06-26-2014, 15:27   #16
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I'll be damned.... Makes me feel like Steve Martin finding his number in the phone book!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:18   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by _the_shadow View Post
thanks! Preservation and documentation will keep the history alive and well for the 10mm cartridge, as others can learn of the products they buy, use or just want to research and load their own.

Mike mcnett started listing stuff here as he tested but since he went big time, it has consumed his socializing here. But i learned a lot from his notes here as did many others.

I'm constantly seeking knowledge to produce better ammo for myself, so i test when i can. I'm currently trying out the new cfe pistol powder, it has been slow, but its only because getting a place to set up the stuff & chrono to gather data and to evaluate the results. Getting velocity readings, collecting the brass and in some instances capture of the fired bullets, making visual observations on location and then taking measurements to document the findings.

Just today i managed to get off one 9x25 dillon load tested, it was very hot out and beat the rain storm. But i like doing the test!
this exactly ^^
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 15:20   #18
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

OK, so I have 50 cases charged, and with the dummies, have the seating depth set to 1.260. I am using a Lee Taper Crimp die on my 175gr tumble lubed (alox) lead boolits, with the tiny bands. The book says correct mouth diameter is .423, so is that where I need to be? I have walked them down from .430 to .426, and don't want to get them too tight. Used 7.0gr of the hand-weighed (what a PITA) 800x. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2014, 15:24   #19
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Gratuitous, impromptu bench pic... Damn! I need a reloading room.

10mm Reloading Forum

Old 06-29-2014, 08:55   #20
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The case mouth crimp should be good at that setting although most commercial jacketed bullets read about 0.4215" to 0.4235". Just so the bullet is tight inside the case with no movement, no in/out or twist play that could possibly lead to setback issues. Another thing is by not over crimping you don't stand the chance of squeezing the bullet's diameter smaller which could give leading issues.

Using your barrel chamber as a cartridge case gauge do they drop in/out freely without drag? I prefer a real case gauge, for its tolerances are much better for all barrel fit I think they are cut at 0.4230". "In other words if if it fits it ships!"

It sounds like you have it well covered though! Best regards!