Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50   #1
bucksarge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16
Need Input On Recent Reloads

Hello,

Just finished reloading approx. 100 rnds of 10mm.

5 didn't pass the case gauge test but fit nicely in the Glock barrel and my Bar Sto barrel. Pics links are below......showing case gauge and Glock barrel.

Am I safe in firing these? Using 7.6 gr of Unique.

http://s534.photobucket.com/user/buc...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s534.photobucket.com/user/buc...tml?sort=3&o=1
__________________
Regards, Buck

G17, G19, G23, G20sf
Kimber SIS Pro, Nighthawk Custom T3, Springfield TRP
Mossberg 500A
bucksarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:55   #2
WeeWilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PRK
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksarge View Post
Hello,

Just finished reloading approx. 100 rnds of 10mm.

5 didn't pass the case gauge test but fit nicely in the Glock barrel and my Bar Sto barrel. Pics links are below......showing case gauge and Glock barrel.

Am I safe in firing these? Using 7.6 gr of Unique.

http://s534.photobucket.com/user/buc...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s534.photobucket.com/user/buc...tml?sort=3&o=1
Kind of depends on the bullet you are loading, OAL, etc.

From the perspective of the round in the chamber, not a problem as long as the gun will go into battery.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 22:25   #3
TDC20
Senior Member
 
TDC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 647
I don't have a 10mm case gauge, so it's possible that a lot of my handloads wouldn't clear, but I've never had any problem shooting them.

I would be more concerned about why they don't clear the case gauge. Are they cast bullets (0.401")? Sometimes cast bullets can make a tighter fit in the chamber with the extra .001" diameter, depending on the brass thickness.

I can't say whether your 7.6gr Unique load is safe or not, but I agree with WeeWilly, if it goes into battery it should be OK to shoot.
__________________
A handgun is only good for fighting your way to a rifle.
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 22:28   #4
PK289
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16
The best case gauge you can ever have is your chamber. I would load a dummie round with the exact OAL and headspace of your loaded rounds. If you can chamber the round with the slide closing with no issues your good.
PK289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:40   #5
bucksarge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16
Need Input On Recent Reloads

Hello,

PK289 - Thanks for your suggestions.

TDC20 and WeeWiley -

Twice used Starline Brass
180 gr FMJ Montana Gold
OAL = 1.250
Crimp = .421
Made in a Dillon 550B
Ammo goes into battery

Thanks all....will take them to the range and fire away.
__________________
Regards, Buck

G17, G19, G23, G20sf
Kimber SIS Pro, Nighthawk Custom T3, Springfield TRP
Mossberg 500A
bucksarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:35   #6
WeeWilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PRK
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksarge View Post
Hello,

PK289 - Thanks for your suggestions.

TDC20 and WeeWiley -

Twice used Starline Brass
180 gr FMJ Montana Gold
OAL = 1.250
Crimp = .421
Made in a Dillon 550B
Ammo goes into battery

Thanks all....will take them to the range and fire away.
Everything should be jake.

Many times 10mm cases shot from a Glock chamber will be bulged enough that they will not pass a tight case gauge when reloaded using normal dies. They will almost always chamber and shoot fine from another Glock.

I pass all my 10mm cases through a Redding G-Rx pass through sizer after tumbling and before I start loading on my 550B. I shoot most of my 10mm from Glocks, but I do shoot some from a 1911 that has a tighter chamber. Some of my Glock fired brass won't pass my 1911 chamber (just like your case gauge). If you are just shooting from Glocks, no need for the G-Rx.

Have fun.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49   #7
bucksarge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeWilly View Post
Everything should be jake.

Many times 10mm cases shot from a Glock chamber will be bulged enough that they will not pass a tight case gauge when reloaded using normal dies. They will almost always chamber and shoot fine from another Glock.

I pass all my 10mm cases through a Redding G-Rx pass through sizer after tumbling and before I start loading on my 550B. I shoot most of my 10mm from Glocks, but I do shoot some from a 1911 that has a tighter chamber. Some of my Glock fired brass won't pass my 1911 chamber (just like your case gauge). If you are just shooting from Glocks, no need for the G-Rx.

Have fun.
WeeWilly,

Thanks for the info. I've checked out the Redding pass through sizer and it's on my list of "buys"
__________________
Regards, Buck

G17, G19, G23, G20sf
Kimber SIS Pro, Nighthawk Custom T3, Springfield TRP
Mossberg 500A
bucksarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 18:41   #8
Ahmid
CLM Number 299
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S.E.Florida
Posts: 2,490
I use the Redding pass through die for all my 10mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig...
Good investment..
__________________
NRA Benefactor
Ahmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 16:13   #9
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,093
If i get the rare round that won't gage, inserting it backward into the gage can help give clues about where it is hanging up. Sometimes it is a burr on the head from being chewed up by the ejector. Other times it is from galled brass near the case head (I am now sold on using One Shot for pistol brass to prevent this). The other situation is from work hardened brass that will not close up in the crimp die.
__________________
Away from Glocktalk for a bit.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 22:42   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,406
Yep Pass-Through sizing can help to restore your brass to fit the gauges.

I use the LEE FCD with the guts removed to utilize the carbide ring as my pass through die for 10mm, 40S&W, 357Sig and 9x25Dillon. I also us a bullet push pin from a bullet sizer kit that replaces the shellholder to push my cases up an into the die, as you push other cases in the emerge out the top, I just catch them and drop in a tray.
Even this case which was badly "smiled" was squeezed back to fit but it will not fix the damage of a "smile" because it is tearing on a molecular level.

10mm Reloading Forum

If you would like to read more you can drop by the 10mmFirearms forum here;
http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-1...using-lee-fcd/

here is a youtube of the Redding GRX pass-thru setup in use;
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28   #11
bucksarge
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 16
Great Info!

Thanks
__________________
Regards, Buck

G17, G19, G23, G20sf
Kimber SIS Pro, Nighthawk Custom T3, Springfield TRP
Mossberg 500A
bucksarge is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds
GT Store


Users Currently Online: 607
121 Members
486 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31