GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2005, 23:48   #21
spongeman66

I gave up on WC820F from GIBRASS.com. I can't get it to burn clean enough, even with HOT Federal 155M primers...I wind up having to push the slide forward after about 8 rounds...WHAT am I going to do with 8lbs of this stuff??? Maybe I will work up a heavy field 12 gauge or 20 gauge load....

Did another Workup today with 95FMJ and VV 3N38. WOW!! This is an impressive powder with bullets lighter than 125 grains. 3N38 burns clean, and I didn't have any light strikes or slide not closing all the way.

52F
9x25, 95 FMJ, Remington 2 1/2 primers, COL 1.280", well used Winchester brass.
Velocities measured at 10 feet from muzzle of G29 with 3.8" barrel.

3N38 5 shot Average
14.0 1651 FPS
14.5 1690 FPS
15.0 1770 FPS
15.4 1809 FPS -> This load had less than my max expansion, but it is a cool day for TX, and I think my hot weather max is somewhere around 15.0-15.2.

Cases started to stick at 16.4...

This thread has been dead for a while...Anybody else doing load work ups???

Have fun!
Sponge
Old 02-17-2005, 22:59   #22
Seddo

spongeman66,
i built a 1911 instead of a glock. i have started but the powder i am using are made by ADI, most of them are sold in USA under different brands.

A friend has a glock and he has started loading 135-145gr projies. he is using a powder that is out of production by he has a lot left so this might not help you.

he also mentioned to me that the double tap brass had a 10% fail rate, in that the case cracked, compared to reformed winchester and pmc 10mm cases.

what brass are you using??
Old 02-18-2005, 09:34   #23
spongeman66

You are welcome to post your ADI 9x25 workups here! It would be interesting if you know the comparable powder in the US...

I use Winchester (Non-Nickel) Brass. I have had similar (split neck) failure rates with Remington Nickel Plated brass. I think the Nickel Plated stuff is strong, but too brittle to handle the re-forming for very many loading cycles. The Dillon dies are for forming, and really work the brass hard.
With Winchester brass, it takes several loadings to see head separation, or loose primers.
I would like to find some 10mm brass with SMALL primer pockets to see if my loose primer problem goes away...

I have a different purpose for 9x25 than some others. I shoot mine exclusively from my 3.8" G29 barrel. Concealed carry + velocity is what I seek...
If I were playing with 135+ grain bullets, I would stick with regular 10mm. I can actually get better velocity in similar bullet weights in 10mm compared to 9x25.

Good luck!
Sponge
Old 02-20-2005, 16:23   #24
Seddo

my purpose is a IPSC Open Gun. it is a 130mm barrel with 4 port comp. i had only started and realised the chamber was cut .003-.008 short, i was having trouble chambering rounds. i have to wait a few weeks for the gunsmith to get back from holidays as he is the only person in australia with a 9x25 reamer.

i have used 98gr coated lead with 2400, even found some 90gr FMJ's to play with. i will have to settle with 122gr coated lead or 124gr copper wash projies. when i get my gun back i will post all of my loads.

ADI equivalent powder is:
http://www.adi-limited.com/handloade...quivalents.asp

the reason my friend is using heavy projies is because we cant have calibres over 38 in australia.
Old 04-08-2005, 00:17   #25
spongeman66

Happy LEE customer and Lyman M-Dies Save the day!

If you reload 9x25 on 100% Dillon equipment, then I suppose this won't be of interest to you...

I quit using the 357 Sig die to pre-form my new 9x25 brass. I wasn't using any lube with this steel die, so it got scratched up. I also broke off (like head separation) a well used piece of brass in it, and sent it back to LEE to have them remove it. (BTW, I only sent them the sizer die, and they sent me back an ENTIRE set of 357 Sig Dies FREE...)

In the same order from Lee, I paid for a 9mm Factory crimp die SLEEVE. I put it in the 10mm FCD body, and it gives a good crimp that is MUCH easier to adjust than the Dillon Crimp die...This works very well, but, like the Dillon Crimp die, will buckle the case if too much crimp is applied. Pat Lee told me for short necked calibers they had a NEW way of doing the FCD more like the rifle calibers. I considered a custom one made, but decided to try the 9mm sleeve in the 10mm body first. Using the Dillon Sizer, I recognized that It doesn't size all the way down the brass, and I figured I might want to keep the 10mm Lee FCD to iron out any bulging in previously fired brass. I don't think the rifle-like FCD will do this...

I had a discussion with Pat Lee about how the Dillon Sizing/Forming Die narrows the neck too much, and the Lee 9mm expander has too short of a bearing surface. It was causing my 95 grain bullets to seat crooked and not be chamberable about 90% of the time. When I sent the sizer back, I included the 357 Sig expander and about 10 pieces of newly formed brass. They sent me back a 38 S & W Special expander that was longer and had been turned down to be appropriate for .355 bullets. (For FREE!) This new expander got me up to about a 90% success rate, but still about 1 in 10 NEW pieces of brass wouldn't chamber.

At this point, I considered selling my 9x25 stuff...NAH...

I was placing an order from Midway, so I included the Lyman M-Die for 9mm in the order. I had a 45ACP Lyman M-die body around, so I figured if the die body was too narrow, I could put the 9mm pilot in the 45 body and be OK. This was NOT necessary. The 9mm Lyman M-die body easily accepted the 10mm cartridge.

The long bearing surface of the Lyman M-Die pilot was EXACTLY what I needed!!! I am now up to 100% success with NEW brass!!! (Fired brass was never a problem...It was always newly formed brass that gave me trouble.)

The 5 station tool head for my LoadMaster has all 5 stations full, and has dies from 3 companies!
1st Station -> Dillon 9x25 sizing/forming die
2nd station -> Lyman M-die
3rd station -> Lee 357 Sig expander/powder die with 38 S & W custom expander
4th station -> Lee Unmodified bullet seating die set to provide NO crimp
5th station -> 10mm FCD body with 9mm FCD Sleeve.

Turns out 100% chamberable rounds with new brass!!! I am starting to feel like a Wildcat developer...

Hope this might help someone!
Sponge
Old 04-10-2005, 17:37   #26
Seddo

Spounge,

in the next few weeks i will be able to put up some more 9x25 reloads. I have just had my barrel reamed after final fitting to solve a few chambering issues. It is back in the country and should be back in my gun this week.

The few hundred reloads i have done with a dillon 550 and dillon 9x25 dies have been fine. i did have some early problems with getting enough bell on the case but a change in powder thrower fixed it straight away.

compared to my 38-45 the 9x25 seems easy to setup and reload.
Old 07-16-2005, 17:27   #27
shindawia6

anybody got some data that will give some nice muzzle flash using 124gr bullets?
shindawia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 22:22   #28
spongeman66

95 grain bullets and just about any powder produce significant muzzle flash!
I have no experience w/124

Sponge
Old 01-31-2006, 12:12   #29
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

What about Blue Dot? It's my favorite .357 magnum powder and I don't like to stock new powder types if one I already use will work..!

Great info on this thread, guys. I'm going to get into this chambering in a M21/10MM longslide, and a M29 CCW combo caliber weapon. This looks like a perfect self defense caliber
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.
Apocalypse_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:44   #30
Bullit Bill

Forgive me if this has been covered, I can't find this in a search.
If I understand correctly, the long loaded 357SIG has a standard case length and the bullet is seated out for a longer OAL, and the 9X25 Dillon essentially a 10MM necked down to take a 9MM bullet. Is the case shoulder and neck of the 9X25 the same as the SIG's? I had the idea of reaming a 357SIG chamber .120" deeper to make it the same OAL as a 10MM and shooting it from my G20L. Is there anywhere that has dimentional drawings of the 9X25?
Thanks for any help, Bullit Bill
Old 11-08-2006, 15:59   #31
spongeman66

357 sig has a straight taper, with angular transitions along the neck. Similar to 30-06, or most rifle cartridges.
The 9X25 has radiused corners along the shoulder. Similar to the weatherby magnums.

If you purchase a 357 Sig reamer, and ream your barrel, you will have a true wildcat! It will be very similar, if not better than the 9X25 in performance, but dies will be much cheaper! You would just need to experiment with your headspace when you form and reload your brass. To get it right, you won't be able to crank your 357 Sig dies all the way down...

What are you going to call it, the 357-10? 357 9X10? Sig mag? It would certainly keep up with any 357 Mag revolver using the same length barrel and bullets less than 160 grains...

Have fun!
Sponge
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04   #32
Bullit Bill

Spongeman, thanks for the info, I was going to call it the 357SIG magnum.
Old 04-06-2007, 22:59   #33
warhoggie

Songeman66,
Thank you much for all the load data! There is more data listed here than hours of searching on the Internet. Good job!
Old 04-19-2008, 21:36   #34
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Has anybody tried Blue Dot for the 9X25Dillon? If yes what loads were tested, please post some data!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 16:47   #35
tooouter

I've been working up a 9X25mm load with Powder Pistol. I'm shooting a G20 with a Lone Wolf 4.6" barrel. I'm currently up to 11.7 grains of Power Pistol set off by a CCI350 primer, pushing a 100 grain Hornady RN FMJ. OAL = 1.280"

The load averages (N=16) 1774 fps with a stdev of 18.66, min of 1753 max of 1811. Each fired case head measures .4205" without exception.

There is probably room for another grain or so of powder in the case. I'm going to go up a bit more but not by much as the brass isn't cheap. Hopefully I can get averages into the 1,800's safely.

Last edited by tooouter; 08-18-2008 at 16:52.. Reason: Added what bullet launching device I'm using.
tooouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 20:11   #36
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

tooouter, Thanks for posting the power pistol load and data! Seeing that you got those numbers with the 4.6" barrel will help me work with my S&W 1006 5" to see what differences might be. I notice my first shoots are the fastest till the oil from cleaning is gone.

I'll be shooting the 9X25 Dillon from my S&W 1006 with a Bar-Sto conversion match grade barrel I purchased from Mike McNett of Double Tap, I hand fitted it to the pistol but had to send it out to a gunsmith to have the chamber finish reamed to proper depth.

I have tested the S&W 1006 with the Bar-Sto 9X25 barrel, with DT 90/115/125 gr. GD 9X25 ammo and the pistol worked flawlessly. Velocities were not as high as advertised due to the 5" barrel I suppose.

I am going to work up some loads with Blue Dot too when I get my dies ordered and shipped in.

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2008, 20:47   #37
tooouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
tooouter, Thanks for posting the power pistol load and data! Seeing that you got those numbers with the 4.6" barrel will help me work with my S&W 1006 5" to see what differences might be. I notice my first shoots are the fastest till the oil from cleaning is gone.

I'll be shooting the 9X25 Dillon from my S&W 1006 with a Bar-Sto conversion match grade barrel I purchased from Mike McNett of Double Tap, I hand fitted it to the pistol but had to send it out to a gunsmith to have the chamber finish reamed to proper depth.

I have tested the S&W 1006 with the Bar-Sto 9X25 barrel, with DT 90/115/125 gr. GD 9X25 ammo and the pistol worked flawlessly. Velocities were not as high as advertised due to the 5" barrel I suppose.

I am going to work up some loads with Blue Dot too when I get my dies ordered and shipped in.

Thanks again!
You're very welcome! A S&W 1006 in 9X25 is an awesome rig! I can't wait to hear how your loads do, please do post 'em when you got the data. I love the 10mm, .357 Sig and now I'm sold on the 9X25.

Now that I've got the 9X25 bug, I'm tore between my next purchase of a 1006 or a Dan Wesson 10mm 1911 converted to 9x25.

I'm very pleased with Power Pistol, I'm thinking 1850 averages are safely attainable out of the G20. I only paid $88 for the barrel, so I'm into 9X25 on the cheap. For the money, I can't believe how well the Lone Wolf barrel is, it locks up tighter than stock and the chamber is very noticeably tighter while I haven't had a single malfunction with a few hundred rounds through it.

I did make some additions to the G20 that I really didn't need to, I bought a Wolf stainless guide rod and a "calibration pack" of recoil springs. I've only ran the stock weight 17 lb spring & haven't had any issues. I also added adjustable night sights but haven't noticed a big enough difference in POI between the 180 grn 10mm rounds and 95 & 100 grn 9X25 rounds to warrant the need for adjustables.

Power Pistol burns incredibly clean in this application & with my barrel length, I've yet to find anybody getting the velocities I'm seeing. I'm curious how Blue Dot compares in terms of velocity and cleanliness, please let me know so we can compare notes.

Are you getting the Dillon dies? I'm using Doubletap brass with a Hornady .357 Sig size die, then running it through an additional Hornady 10mm size die to size the last (or first) 3.6mm of the case. I don't run the .357 Sig die down far enough to entirely re-profile the neck down radius in order to not mess with head spacing. So far it's working perfectly. Since I already reload .357 Sig and 10mm I didn't have to buy any additional dies and won't as long as the brass keeps holding up.

Let me know how your experiment goes.
tooouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 22:05   #38
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

tooouter, here is a tidbit for you, Don't purchase a S&W 10XX thinking about getting extra barrels. The Bar-Sto 9X25 Dillon barrel was made early on via special order by Mike McNett for the S&W1006. Bar-Sto is NOT producing any barrels for the S&W10xx pistols and neither is any other manufacture, that's a damn shame.

I have considered the 9X25 Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 29 in the near future. I would like it longer than stock without the ports, Their longer barrel has ports maybe I could get one without.

Yes I will pop for the Dillon dies ($125+ S/H) as they are dimensioned correctly for the shoulder and have two carbide sizing rings from what I was told, one for the 9mm neck the other for the 10mm base.

You may be better off with a FUSION Arms 10mm with a conversion barrel possibly.

Yes recent testing of Power Pistol in my Glock 29 has shown better velocities with the 200XTP than with Blue Dot loads. IMR 800X and AA#9 are some powders I wish to obtain.

Here are some scans of the "Lyman 2nd edition Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook" 9X25 Dillon cartridge info, be sure to note that the test barrels were 8" for this data and there is no SAAMI Pressure set for this cartridge

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/scan0004.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/scan0005.jpg

Good to see others interested in the caliber still.
Old 10-22-2008, 20:26   #39
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I just got my Dillon dies for the 9X25, these dies will size the 10mm casing and reduce the neck down to 9mm in one sizing/depriming pass.

This comes as a 3 die set; The Case Sizer/Forming/Depriming Die, a Seating Die and a Crimp Die.

The seating die has a rounded nose and a flat nose bullet seater which you pull the pin and turn it over, re pin it and its set for the other.

The Crimp die is just that to finish the crimp process.

There is "NO" expander included with the dies, this may be part of a special powder through the expander die set up with the powder hopper. I'm not using this at this time because I am working on a single stage RCBS press for now. I dug out my 9mm RCBS die set and I am using the expander die in that set to expand the case mouths to accept the bullets (jacketed and cast), this has provided a very true straight neck with proper tension.

After I expanded the case mouths the seating process was good to go! My first attempt without expansion resulted in the cast bullet grabbing the case mouth and buckling...I new better, but I was studying how the Dillon Dies would perform. That why I grabbed the 9mm expander die.

One other thing I will do is to get the RCBS type die locking rings to lock them on the die so the setting doesn't change while using and removing them in the single stage presses. This is not a problem in the Dillon press as the dies stay in the tool head, and the nut will secure it.

After I assembled them they dropped into the barrel and head spaced properly.

Anyway here are the first few loaded with LEE 122gr Cast TC .356" over 11.0 grains of Blue Dot. This load in the 357Sig with a 125GD does 1416 fps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2356654IMG0224b.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	159457
Now I have to get to the range for some actual results.

More to come!

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 10-22-2008 at 20:29.. Reason: fix pic
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11   #40
mikeone

I just started loading this cartridge and what a blast it is. Just shot my first 100

win brass 124 precision "black bullets" 14 gr h110.

lone wolf glock 20.

I can see that the shoulder moved forward thus needing precise adj of the

forming die to to fit the barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPQbl9ao7TE

Yea this cartridge is on fire

thanks Mike
mikeone is offline   Reply With Quote