SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:30   #1
40Cal
Modurbator

Anyone know a good logbook software?

I'm looking for a good program to use along with my logbook to keep track of my time. Anyone know a good program that's not overly expensive?

Thanks. ;c (But no ;c when you're going flying)

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 18:44   #2
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Safe your money and use the good old book, use only black ink and always add up everything on every line.
One thing software can't do is, CFI's can't make endorsements and so on...
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 22:46   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

You could always duplicate your log entries in a copy of Excel. It should take you about 10 minutes to set up the columns.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:44   #4
40Cal
Modurbator

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcDW
Safe your money and use the good old book, use only black ink and always add up everything on every line.
One thing software can't do is, CFI's can't make endorsements and so on...
I would never stop using the good old book, I was just thinking about using a program that would make it easier to get summaries of my time. The book is fine for the basics but it seems like everytime I apply for a new certificate or rating I end up having to go back and count up some oddball numbers because they want some strange breakdowns of time on the application. I can't think of any off the top of my head but it's stuff along the lines of "Solo-Night-Actual Instrument-Complex" or other crazy breakdowns.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
You could always duplicate your log entries in a copy of Excel. It should take you about 10 minutes to set up the columns.
I had thought about that, I just gotta mess with it and see if it would allow me to summarize my time like I'd want to.

Another reason I want to do this is so I have a back-up in case I lose my paper book. A friend of mine had his stolen when his car was broken into and went crazy trying to clean up that mess.

Thanks for the replies!

Former crusader against the Evil Forces of Fluff.

Last edited by 40Cal; 03-16-2004 at 07:47..
40Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03   #5
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

A search on sourceforge brings these:

FluPP - Flight Log Software
FluPP is a Flight Log Software for Windows. FluPP 1 is only available in german. Version 2 (we are rebuilding FluPP from scratch) will be multilingual and hopefully also available for Linux. 85.33%

jFlightLog
jFlightLog is a flight logbook for MS Flight Simulator 2004. Beside flight informations, which may be importet from savegames, it also automaticaly collects screenshots from the system clipboard during flights. Java Runtime Version 1.4 or higher needed. 34.06%

eLogBook
eLogBook is an Open Source electronic flight log book for general aviaion pilots. It is written in Perl using the Gtk-Perl libraries and uses XML for data storage. I would like to solicit developmental help to expand eLogBook's capabilities...

Flight Logbook
Flight Logbook is a program to help pilots log their flying hours easily. The layout is cool and simple and the whole project is written in VB 6.0. Provides a great inside look into how to use the Active X Data Objects to connect to a database.

Flight Recorder4J
Flight Recorder4j -- A log4j appender that removes the performance penalty associated with developing debug-message intensive code.

FlightLog
Flight Log will be an open source program to allow pilots to log their flight time. It will seek to be an alternative to commercial software. It will have the ability to record flights, total times, and provide options on grouping and sorting totals.

GPLIGC
GPLIGC is a program for analysis and 3D visualization of GPS tracklogs (in igc format) as recorded by flight data recorders used by glider pilots.
FlightNet
The purpose of FlightNet is to create an advanced flight simulator based on today's technology. A major key in the project development is the usage of multi-processors systems and LAN networks to gain a high processing power.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54   #6
Wulfenite
The King

Marc,

On the piloting boards, use of a software log is generally highly recommended for people who do or aspire to get paid for piloting.

One reason is the one cited above. figuring out obscure total times. When you only fly a couple of different types a regluar book is fine but even the big commercial books dont have enough columns to separate all the potential combinations of simple, complex, high performance, turbine, land, sea, jet, 91, 141, 135, etc.

Additionally, for resume purposes the electronic book can be printed out, bound and submitted more easily than a rag, tag combination of photocopies.

Even for the little guy the electronic books will do cool stuff like notify you when you're about to need a BFR or night landings, etc.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:27   #7
SlimlineGlock

Some use a palm pilot to record flying data and then transfer it later to the PC.

Type in "logbook" in the search field of
http://www.palmgear.com/
for some programs. Don't know if you have a palm pilot handheld, but it is handy to carry around.
Big Dawg #1275
Flight Deck #767
SlimlineGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 18:38   #8
hapuna
Trusted Member

I haven't bought it but I understand that Garmin has a package that is supposed to work with my Garmin 196 where it downloads the data automatically into a computerized logbook. Here is a link
http://www.avshop.com/catalog/addima...odimageid=4392
Looks a lot like Xcel to me.
hapuna is offline   Reply With Quote