SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2004, 22:54   #1
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Duck story, attempted murder.

I wasn't hunting. I was with my daughter today at a municipal park which has a duck pond.

At one point, I noticed two ducks run from the bank into the water and begin swimming across the pond. One was a female, with a white head and a black stripe along her throat, and a dark body. The other was a male, all white. The male was holding on by it's beak to the females "shoulder". The female was clearly trying to get away, and the male was holding on as the two moved toward the opposite bank. When they reached a point about 10 feet from the opposite bank, the female stopped. The male then climbed on the back of the female, transferred his grip to her neck, and tried to force her under the water. He dunked her several times, each time she bobbed up and he kept trying to hold her under the water. Suddenly, I saw her mate swimming as fast as he could to her. He was leaving a wake only a
fast duck could make, and when he reached his struggling mate he rescued her from the assailant. The defeated duck swam away, and the happy couple celebrated.

Have you ever seen a duck attempt murder? I have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 00:42   #2
TriggerTripper

I’ve seen geese get a bit wild, but I've never seen a couple of ducks go at it that intense. A couple years ago I saw two rooster pheasants have at it. It much more violent than I thought it might be. I had imagined that they would scratch and peck at each other while flapping a few wings… forget that! They jump about 6 feet in the air and come down with their talons pointing like daggers, land on each others heads and pound each other into the dust. If they ever unleashed something like that on me while I was hunting I think they might win.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16   #3
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
I've seen ducks do that a good bit. He was just trying to get lucky ;f Almost like a rooster on a hen, except with water ;g

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:43   #4
Cola di Rienza
Vordhosbn

There's a small civil war era dam not far from here where my father takes my younger siblings to have fun and look at the waterfall. Last summer when they went one morning, they noticed a male goose and two female geese coming towards them from the other bank. When the geese got closer, they began to throw pretzels out to feed them. The geese kept on coming and when they made it to shore, they went flipping nuts on my sister who was about half the size of a goose at that time. My dad had to beat them off all the way back to the truck.

The youngest still cries whenever she sees a goose.
Cola di Rienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:19   #5
ElevenO

TScottW99 is right. What you witnessed was a couple of ducks trying to breed.
ElevenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:06   #6
vafish

Quote:
Originally posted by Cola di Rienza
My dad had to beat them off all the way back to the truck.

Isn't he teaching the geese to keep coming back?;a
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:18   #7

I was fishing as trout stream a few years back with a friend when we saw 2 Canadian Geese swim past us. We thought nothing of it as they approached the river bank about 20 feet downstream from us. Well, all of a sudden they are now ripping baby Canadian Geese from the undercut bank and shaking them like rag dolls and tossing them into the river dead. I said to my friend, like hell they are going to kill those babies. I threw rocks like Pedro Martinez at those damn geese.
The Geese took off after getting drilled repeatedly. We did not look under the bank to see how many were left, we figured that they were scared enough already.
My friend and I came to the conclusion that the Geese were probly males and they were getting rid of the future competion for food or breeding.
I know this was "Mother Natures" way, but had we not been near houses and so close to the Fish and Wildlife office, we would have been eating Goose for dinner.
I am a diehard fisherman and hunter but if I see another human being or animal getting attacked I am going to intervene.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:59   #8
vafish

Geese usually mate for life. They are very good parents. It's pretty unusual that both parents would be gone away from a brood of chicks at the same time.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02   #9
Cola di Rienza
Vordhosbn

Quote:
It's pretty unusual that both parents would be gone away from a brood of chicks at the same time.
Maybe someone ate them for dinner? ;f
Cola di Rienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:45   #10
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Quote:
Originally posted by ElevenO
Yup... why just last week when my wife & I were in the pool... uh, never mind, scratch that one.
Old 03-21-2004, 23:38   #11
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Quote:
Originally posted by ElevenO
They were of different, what, breeds? species? I considered the possiblity of it being an attempted duck rape, but since they were different I figured that there'd be no hanky panky interest. Also, when he climbed on her back, I didn't see a wang. He was trying to drown her, unless it's common for ducks to mate in the water with one holding the other underwater for as long as it takes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:02   #12
Steve Moses

I doubt he was trying to drown her. Same species ducks will mate the same way. Ducks can stay underwater a long time, as many of them feed off the bottom.

It looks pretty rough, but that is the way nature is.

It is pretty easy to assign human traits to animals. For instance, male baboons tend to beat the heck out of their females when they look at other males(domestic violence?), and male lions seldom hunt and spend quality time with the cubs (child abandonment?).
Steve Moses is offline   Reply With Quote