Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2004, 20:58   #1
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Anyone have an over and under or side by side??

If so,could you tell me what make/model,and how do you like it?? Im looking for a bird/skeet gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 21:22   #2
paynter2
It ain't over

I have an SKB SXS 20ga M&F. I used to use it for duck and goose hunting when I was a kid. My hinting buddy had a Beretta O&U 20ga. We never knew we were undergunned. We shot so many ducks (over 100 apiece each year) and geese (went to Saskatchewan each year) that we didn't know you needed a 12ga to shoot birds.

When we started trap shooting, we had so many AA hulls that we switched to 12ga to use the emptys.

Doubles are great fun - they kick more than your auto or pump will - lighter and no gas escaping to work the action. 12ga doubles can get old after a couple of boxes of heavy loads.

With today's modern metals and polymars, I'd look at the Benelli - I believe they have a 20ga auto at about 5.5 lbs. That would be one sweet bird gun.

I have a Rem LT20 that I use for grouse sometimes - I think it weighs about 6.5lbs. I also have a couple of m1912 Winchester 20ga - they are my favorite bird guns. They have natural feel that I haven't found in any other gun of any action type. I beleive the ruined that feel with the later M12s.
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 16:16   #3
TJC
"No Compromise"

2 Brownings, 1 Winchester, and 1 Charles DAly. All o/u's.
The one Browning is an older Superposed and the Winchester is an old 101 Pidgeon. They are both great guns. The other Browning is a Citori Featherweight. The jury is still out on this one. I just got it this season and only used it the last 1/2 of the bird season. The good thing is it is light and the interchangeable tubes.
The Charles Daly while being the least costly is a great handling gun and has done well for me on birds when I use it. Trouble is, it is a 12 bore and I don't use it much over the dogs unless it is really bad weather and I leave the others at home. ;Q

If you are looking for a good o/u at reasonable price, I would say the Browning Citori in one of the configurations would be your best bet.
Member NJSCPA

"Trust in God, but carry a P7M8, Walther, Browning or Colt"
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 16:18   #4
PlasticGuy

I do a lot of bird hunting and have experience with several different shotguns, but I don't want to write about all of them. It would help a lot if you would tell me what kind of bird hunting you do, and what your price range is.
Old 03-21-2004, 16:48   #5
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I would be hunting dove,and upland birds.I kind of want an all around double that can also perform at the skeet/clay range.The price range im looking at is the 1000.00 to 1600.00.I like the feel of the beretta silver pigeon and the franchi veloce--although im not sure of the veloce--does it hold up over time??? Thanks for all the info guys!!

Old 03-21-2004, 19:18   #6
TJC
"No Compromise"

You are in the price range of a Citori Lightning. ;f
Member NJSCPA

"Trust in God, but carry a P7M8, Walther, Browning or Colt"
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 21:18   #7
vart

I have a Beretta Silver Snipe O/U 20 ga. that I really like. However, I've always wanted a Ruger Red Label O/U with the English straight-stock. They are fantastic guns that fit me like a glove and point very well, plus you can find them for just over $1k.
Hunting, Fishing & Camping

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 21:24   #8
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dogbite
I would be hunting dove,and upland birds.I kind of want an all around double that can also perform at the skeet/clay range.The price range im looking at is the 1000.00 to 1600.00.I like the feel of the beretta silver pigeon and the franchi veloce--although im not sure of the veloce--does it hold up over time??? Thanks for all the info guys!!
Well, your hunting and mine sound like they are about the same. I have come to prefer an auto for it's lighter recoil, and a 20 guage for lighter weight and quick handling. I've settled on a Beretta 20 guage model 391, and I could not be happier. It weighs in at around 5.5 pounds, so it handles quick. It also has a lot of that weight in the barrel, so it swings well. I've found that I'm so much quicker with it that the closer shots I get lets my 20 guage perform much like the 12 guage I used to hunt with -- but with less weight and recoil.

But I know you want an O/U. You will probably have to deal with at least an extra pound, and possibly two. That will slow you down some, but as long as you stay under 7 pounds it shouldn't be too bad. I would probably opt for a 12 guage if you want to really do well at the range. Skeet is close and fast, so you would probably do fine with a 20 guage. Anything else will probably show some advantages of the 12 guage though. I guess you'll have to decide whether the extra weight is worth getting an O/U over a Beretta or Benelli auto, and whether the performance at the range is worth the added weight and recoil of the 12 guage over the 20 guage.

If you do go with an O/U, I prefer the Brownings and Berettas. The Citori is wonderful, and the Silver Pigeon would probably be my #1 pick. The Franchis are supposed to be good, but I don't have enough time with them to really comment based on first hand experience. The Rugers are good, but don't seem quite as refined as the Berettas.
Old 03-23-2004, 18:14   #9
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Thank you for all the info!!!

Old 03-23-2004, 18:36   #10
isp2605

Close to 30 yrs ago I swapped a guy my 870 TC for a Browning BSS (side by side) 12 ga, 26" brls. It's a great shooter but if I was going to order one I'd go 20 ga and 28" brl. The 26" seems just a bit too short and fast. It makes for great snap shooting on close in breaking rabbits but for pass shooting it needs just a tad bit more weight on the front to swing nicer. It's not that I don't like it, as evidenced by I've been shooting it for nearly 30 yrs. Fun gun.
I'm like Vart. I shot a buddy's English stock Ruger once and loved it. Will have to pick one up some day.
Old 03-26-2004, 17:23   #11
Alpha Male

The gun I use for the endeavors you describe is a Beretta 626EELL 20 gauge SxS choked IC/M, fixed. Its current successor is the 470 SilverHawk, although they've cheapened them up a bit.

For the price range you mentioned, you'd be better off sticking with a quality O/U that fits you well and feels good in your hands. Or, that slick little 391. Wonderful little gun for high volume shooting. Good luck.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:16   #12
Matrix8

I have Beretta 682, also a Browning. When it comes to skeet U can't beat the Beretta, their weight, balance, performance and price are outstanding.
I have put around 50,000 rounds through my Beretta, it is a good gun
Matrix8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 22:38   #13
Alaskan

The Browning citori is a great gun.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 21:15   #14
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Thanks for all the advice guys!!I ended up getting a beretta 391 in 12 after all..If felt great,and i will be doing alot more trap/skeet than hunting.I might hunt 2 times a year,so i got the "sporting" model--a little heavy ,but im used to an 870 pump with a 28 inch tube,so no problem--well--next time ill go over/under..

Old 04-05-2004, 06:37   #15
Rocnerd

Check out http://www.shotgunworld.com
It is a good site like this one for picking people's brains about shotguns, hunting, and skeet/trap/sporting clays.
Rocnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 22:29   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Well, i don't own a shotgun as nice as most of these i have seen and read about here. Some of these are really beautiful guns.

I do, however, have a remington 870 express magnum, 21" barrel. (who doesn't).

Also, i bought a "Biakal bounty hunter II" 12ga. side by side 18". I am truly blown away at how tuff this gun is. Even with cylinder bore, this baby holds an unbelievable tight pattern at 25 yards.
I shot an old tank with it here on the ranch we had down in the dump, once with #1 buck, and also with #8 dove loads. This gun held a pattern that will work perfect for birds at 25yds, and SD with the #1 buck.

Anyone looking for a $189.00 side by side, that will last like a hum-vee, i can tell you this sucker works. Won't stand beside the Rugers, and the higher end guns, and not as pretty. But it is truly worth looking into, even if you own a real nice shotgun already.

I was bored here, so i thought i'd chime in for a second.

Have fun guys.

CanyonMan

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 18:18   #17
7mmmag

I have a Beretta silver snipe 12ga O/U that is a joy to shoot, and recoil less than any of my other 12 ga. But keeping fingers crossed that I don't need any parts, because none to be found anywhere. Also an older Browning Citori 12ga 26in, a truly well patterning shotty which fits me to a T. Gorgeous wood. I would definitely suggest the Browning Citori for any competition shooting. Its a classic.
7mmmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 19:15   #18
bambihunter
10mm collector

I've owned many O/U's and a few SxS's and I have since sold them all. I just use my Benelli Super Black Eagle for it all. I will occasionally get a look at the sporting clay course until I blow thier numbers away...
It's my "one gun does it all" and with little exception the more you practice with one gun the better you are with it. I hunt with this one too, so I consider it practice.
My current 10mm's: D.W. Patriot, Razorback #70 and #118 of 150. Kimber Custom Stainless Target II, Colt Delta Elite Ultimate stainless, Colt Delta Gold Cup stainless, Colt Double Eagle MKII stainless, I.A.I. Javelina, Springfield Armory/Peter Stahl Omega Match, Star Megastar, Glock 20, Glock 29, S&W 1006, S&W 1026 Police, S&W 1046, S&W 1066, S&W 1076 FBI, S&W 1086, Tanfoglio Witness Compact in wonder finish.
bambihunter is offline   Reply With Quote