Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2004, 16:18   #1
vertigo7

Hiking with a long gun

I'm thinking about taking up hiking as a second hobby. I'd like to take along a lightweight levergun for defense, either slung or stored in a closed sleeve lashed to my pack. I've not been able to find a plain-english description of what's allowed and what isn't, either on public land or in National Forests. Can I do this in Florida or Georgia? If so, what are the requirements to do so?

vertigo7
Old 03-26-2004, 17:11   #2
noway

Can't speak for GA but Florida equals no for the most part. If you hike on private land have at it. BUT if you hike any of the public trails ( i.e take a look at the Florida Trails Association routes ) and most of these travel thru public hunting WMA and WEA areas that if they are closed and you are found to be carrying a weapon, it will most likely be seized and you will be give a citation or arrested.

btw; A slung and specially a sleeve weapon strapped to your back or pack is very hard to deploy for self-defense. If you feel you need a weapon, then carry a knife or small concealable gun and don't let the gamewardden find it if you are stop. But once again a gun in a close hunting seasons on state public land can net you big trouble.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 17:47   #3
mpol777
Feral Member

Every National Forest has it's own ranger station. Multiple stations in the case of large areas. Give them a call and ask because the rules, or at least how the rules are enforced, differ depending on the area.

I agree with noway, a slung rifle is not very good for defense. I carry a Marlin 1894P (.44 mag) with me during bear mating season and when the cubs first start to venture out with mom. These are times when they'll really be out and about and short tempered. It's light enough you can just carry it in your hand and not get tired.
Old 03-26-2004, 21:18   #4
vertigo7

Aww nuts. Well thanks anyhow for the information guys...
Old 03-27-2004, 16:10   #5
fireslayer23
Roadwhore

We were allowed to carry pistols in Colorado during a hike in June but they have a little different set of large animals out there.
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.

NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, JPFO Life Member
fireslayer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 23:55   #6
noway

Also contact the florida trails and scenic trails association and state parks along with FWC.

http://www.florida-trail.org/

http://myfwc.com

Be advise like I posted earlier, alot of trails goes thru state manage WMA ( Wildlife Managed Area ) WEA ( Wildlife Environment Wreas ) and also state National Forests/Preserves/parks ( i.e Big Cypress, Ocala national Forest, Avon Park Bomb range, Meritt Island , etc.... ), so the local governing authoritys will need to be contact for correct procedures and the DOs and NOTs on firearms.

my 2 cents thoughts;

Most wildlife here in FL will leave you alone and for the 2 legged animals common sense and using your eyes and ears and brain are the best weapon to have to proctect you and keep you out of harms way.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57   #7

Wait wait wait... you want to go hiking and camping in Georgia?

havent you ever watched Deliverance?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!