Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2004, 17:40   #1
reinbeau

Migraines

MissKitty posted in general non-glocking about migraines. I'm having my monthly one right now. For the past three years or so like clockwork I get a hormone migraine just before I get my period. It sucks. Nothing helps it. Hopefully I'll go to sleep tonight and it'll be gone tomorrow. My sister has been a severe migraine sufferer her whole life, the poor kid. She gets them so bad she's completely bedridden, there were times when she was working that she had to be driven home because she was so sick. I feel so bad for her, all I can say is I'm thankful I don't get them near that bad!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Glock Model 23, Walther PPKS .380
reinbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 22:51   #2
MrsKitty

Oh your poor sister:(

I get a migraine monthly too. Oddly, mine is always the second day of my period. I know exactly when to expect it then....

Several of my cousins have been diagnosed with migraines too so it must run in our family;g
Old 04-19-2004, 22:52   #3
MrsKitty

Re: Migraines

Quote:
Originally posted by reinbeau
Hopefully I'll go to sleep tonight and it'll be gone tomorrow.
If I can get to sleep, it seems to be the best "medicine" for me too. Unfortunately, that is rarely achievable.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:19   #4
reinbeau

I usually take a Tylenol PM and can go to sleep. The light really bothers my eyes. Well, it's this morning, and it's down to a dull roar. ;Q As well as my period has started. The headache will be gone later today. Thanx for the symnpathy, I know I have sisters out there with the same problem!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-20-2004, 22:34   #5
MrsKitty

Light gets me too:(

Feel better?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:27   #6
reinbeau

Finally, this morning, the ache is gone from my head. Not from my belly, though.

It sucks getting old!

Old 04-21-2004, 09:49   #7
jadealion

I've only had one migraine in my entire life (I'm only 23), but it was so horrible. My mother thought I was having a stroke so I ended up in the hospital. The whole thing was shortlived, about 6 hours, but every now and then my eye or my temple twinges. It makes me very paranoid.

Before I had one, I always wondered what the big deal was? Aren't they just headaches. Now I know.

jade
Old 04-21-2004, 22:45   #8
MrsKitty

hiya jadealion!

;F

Welcome aboard;f

That was a lesson you won't be forgetting, huh?^4
Old 04-22-2004, 18:48   #9
emt1581
Curious Member

Migranes do put a damper on the day.

I usually get one every 2 or 3 months. They are usually to the point where I can't walk straight or handle any light or sound. Anyways, something you may want to ask your doc about is Immitrex. I take take a nasal injection of that, lay down for about a half hour and I'm better...on cloud nine, but pain is gone fr the most part.

I'd also ask if the doc has any samples, cause they are around $25 a dose. This med might be old news, but I just thought I'd lend some helpful advice. Take care

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 23:21   #10
Cat91
Red Tabby

Boy you ain't kidding.

I used to get them real bad, tunnel vision, nosebleeds, yuck.

Nowadays I still get about one a month or so, usually when I don't eat right. I'll get harbingers-distortion in my vision, like heat blur, before, sometimes too. When I get that I try to just go home and go to sleep. Sleeping them off is the only way I've found to deal with them.

Yuck.

Miao, Cat
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:21   #11
reinbeau

12 ears ago or so I used to get what are called visual migraines. No headache, but what would happen was I'd get what I called 'crystals' in the periphery of my vision, and then I couldn't read. Anything! It was like my eyes would see the text but my brain couldn't interpret it.....very scary! This happened once a month or so, right at month's end (I was a business manager and ran things on 13 column spreadsheets). Everything looked polarized, too. Turned out I needed glasses, and going through those columns did my poor noggin in! My eyes are wierd, I'm very farsighted with an astigmatism, no one wants to look through my glasses, but once I got the specs and they went away (thankfully!)

My sister, the migraine sufferer, knew exactly what I was talking about WRT the 'crystals' in peripheral vision. She gets them before she gets her real migraines. Gives her fair warning so she can get home and take her meds, which help a bit, but she's got them really bad. ;1

Old 04-24-2004, 21:22   #12
MrsKitty

I have heard visual migraines called painless migraines too.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35   #13
Melissa Ann

Visual, painless, retinal migraines are realyl scary the first time it happens. I thought I was having a stroke or going blind. Turned out my birth control pill was too high of a dose for me and the retinal migraines were caused by too much estrogen. Imagine that.

I also get regular migraines quite often. I got them every few weeks from about 9th grade on up until I was about 34. It's a miserable existence, let me tell you. No wonder I went thru depression! Anyway, I started into better nutrition and they went away. Now when I get them, I know it's because I'm not eating right (generally speaking, my diet when I'm having migraines seems to be lacking in some Bvitaims - I'll take a protein shake that is a good source of the vitamins, and shortly, I'll be feeling much better). I've got a doozy right now in fact so I guess I'll go home to get that protein shake for lunch.

Take care,
Melissa

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." -Morihei Ueshiba
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:11   #14
emt1581
Curious Member

I got he visual ones before I got the crippling ones. I thought I was going blind to. I'd look somewhere, then I'd look somewhere else and I would see whatever it was I was just looking at. Wierd stuff!;b

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 15:03   #15
reinbeau

Quote:
Originally posted by emt1581
I got he visual ones before I got the crippling ones. I thought I was going blind to. I'd look somewhere, then I'd look somewhere else and I would see whatever it was I was just looking at. Wierd stuff!;b

-Emt1581
Yea, they are strange. I would be upstairs in the break room trying to read the newspaper, and I could see the letters, but they wouldn't turn into words....it's hard to describe. I thought I was having a stroke or something, but nothing hurt!

Old 05-09-2004, 13:40   #16
Lagadelphia

I'm not a woman but I get them sometimes too. I get the visual lines and if I can get to my meds when these start, I can avoid the worst of the pain. I'll be crabby and irritable but not in pain Sleep is your friend
Lagadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 18:28   #17
reinbeau

Sleep surely is your friend when you have a migraine. If it hits me bad I have got to close my eyes and try to sleep. Sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesn't, but usually laying down in a quiet, dark room for a few hours will let the meds kick in ;Q

Old 05-14-2004, 12:17   #18
Fast351
Dodge This!

Can guys post here? Anyway, I used to get migraines until I turned 18, and they just disappeared. I was lucky. My wife wasn't though, and started getting them when she turned 25. She tried a plethora of drugs. She uses Imitrex now, and swears by it.

I am reminded of how fortunate I am when I see her curled up in a ball with tears of pain in her eyes that I don't get them anymore. Back when I did get them, about the only thing they had for them was massive doses of ibuprofin. (I took a pair of 800mg pills to "get rid" of mine).

Anyway, see a doctor. Try to get at least a sample of Imitrex to try.

-Mike
Fast351 is offline   Reply With Quote