Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:42   #1
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

FAA lookin' real efficient... uh, huh! (RANT)

How about that blistering speed with which our gummint employees have accomplished the 'Sport Pilot' rating, eh? Dummies can't seem to find their 'A's with both hands.
The new category of pilot impacts my flying not a whiff, but I still cannot help but feel disgust for the saltatory, glacial speed of this thing. Augh!
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 17:51   #2
Wulfenite
The King

Last I heard the SP program had been pulled from consideration. Is there somthing new?

From AOPA....

"Sport Pilot rule makes U-turn in rulemaking process, now back at FAA
Mar. 25 ó The FAA has temporarily withdrawn the proposed Sport Pilot rule from consideration by the federal Office of Management and Budget. Just before a 90-day review period expired, FAA Administrator Marion Blakey ordered the proposal withdrawn so that the agency could answer questions about the economic cost/benefits of the pending rule raised during the OMB review.

The White House, through OMB, evaluates all proposed and pending final rules, examining the cost and benefits of regulatory agency actions. Their review is essentially the final step in the Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft approval process.

AOPA has been advocating on behalf of the Sport Pilot rule in large part because of the proposal's recognition that a driver's license is adequate evidence of medical fitness to fly. In accordance with FAR 61.53, pilots must continually self-certify their medical fitness and must ground themselves if they know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make them unable to meet the medical requirements."
Old 04-27-2004, 04:04   #3
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

Wolf, here's my latest info..
CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES JOIN EAA IN URGING OMB TO APPROVE SPORT PILOT RULE NOW
Two senators, five U.S. Representatives submit petition with thousands of signatures

April 21, 2004 - EAA's efforts to finalize the sport pilot/light-sport aircraft rule drew the support of seven members of Congress this week, as these elected officials were invited to join EAA members and aviation enthusiasts in urging the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve the rule "in the most expeditious manner possible" when it receives the proposal back from the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The elected officials, who are also pilots or knowledgeable aviation supporters, include Senators James Inhofe (R-OK) and Michael Crapo (R-ID); and Congressional representatives Sam Graves (R-MO); Tom Petri (R-WI); Robin Hayes (R-NC); Vernon Ehlers (R-MI); and Dennis Rehburg (R-MT). Each signed the letter addressed to OMB Director Joshua B. Bolten, expressing strong support for the FAA's proposed rule, Certification of Aircraft and Airman for the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft (Docket No. FAA-2001-11133).

The members of Congress, guided by the leadership of Rep. Graves and his staff, added their names to an EAA-initiated petition that has collected more than 8,000 signatures in one week. EAA members, other pilots and aviation enthusiasts have signed the petition, which is being forwarded to OMB along with the Congressional letter.

"The sport pilot rule is extremely important to general aviation's future," EAA President Tom Poberezny said. "EAA saw a need for the aviation community to make its collective voices heard as a final step in this decade-long effort to make sport pilot a reality. EAA's groundwork with Congress also paid off when we contacted Senators and Representatives and invited them to be part of this message to OMB. They recognized that need and responded. We appreciate that support, and so does the general-aviation community."

More than 3,600 signatures were gathered at the Sun 'n Fun EAA Fly-In in Lakeland, Florida, while another 4,400 were collected on-line through an electronic version of the petition through Thursday afternoon (April 22).

The letter concludes, "The rule is ready. The marketplace is eagerly waiting. The time is now to release this rule that provides both significant opportunities and safety to our nation's general aviation infrastructure. We urge the OMB to respect the wishes of the American public and the recreational aviation community, and approve this rulemaking package as written in the most expeditious manner possible."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAA Home Page | Members Only | Member Benefits | Join/Renew EAA | e-HOT LINE
Chapters | AirVenture | Event Calendar | Pilot Services | Careers@EAA | Cool Pixs/Videos
Aviation Education | Kid Stuff | Quick Shopping | Press Releases
Volunteers | Advertising Opportunities | Feedback | Contact Us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAA Aviation Center
P.O. Box 3086
Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086 www.eaa.org
Phone: 920.426.4800
Disclaimer/Privacy Statement

All content, logos, pictures, and videos are the property of the Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.
Copyright © 2004 - Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.

If you have any comments or questions contact webmaster@eaa.org

Precious little progress, I say!
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote