Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2004, 17:02   #1
RussP

Seems we've had our first bit of controversy...

Since it occurred in a thread I started, you get to hear my opinions about it.

Veterans are a peculiar bunch. We are all ages, heck, we are all everything. The common bond began with this:
"I, RussP, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Every one of us swore that oath. During the time we served we honored that oath. But serving in the military is much more than that. It is the people, the relationships, the stories, the memories both good and bad, that binds us into a unique family.

As with any family, we have disagreements. Opinions differ, life experiences differ, heck, I have a brother that lives 6 to 9 months out of the year in India studying and teaching Yoga; my other brother is, well, a social reformist. Do I love them any less? NO! We talk about subjects we agree on in one venue, and we talk about those we disagree on in another.

I believe that is what Patricia meant in her post. This is the place, at least in my opinion and her's where we can talk about those events and people and experiences that came after we raised our right hands and said, "I, RussP, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;.."

There are plenty other forums within Glock Talk where politics can be argued. Hey, if you just want to vent, try the Ox and Alex Forum, if your skin is thick enough.

Like I said above, we're going to have our differences. Lets just discuss them in the most appropriate forum.

With Respect to All,
;?
RussP

Last edited by RussP; 04-25-2004 at 17:25..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:51   #2
glockjeeper
G19/J Frame fan

You want to discuss something I thing we all agree on? That would be those stupid berets we're forced to wear now!;Q
Old 04-26-2004, 23:49   #3
Central Texan
AmericanSoldier

Quote:
Originally posted by glockjeeper
You want to discuss something I thing we all agree on? That would be those stupid berets we're forced to wear now!;Q
HOOAH!

Hey Russ, that was a good post! I just recently found out about this part of GT (thanks for the invite ) and look forward to hearing yall stories, and adding mine as they come about. I'm excited to be able to talk with those that have been in my boots before I was in them and learn from their experiances. To know that there is a "peacfull" place to come to and discuss our common bond, well, that's just more of a reason for me to come to GT each day. I agree with you 110%!!!!
Lone Star Glocker #25

Last edited by Central Texan; 04-26-2004 at 23:54..
Central Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:25   #4
CarlosDJackal

Quote:
Originally posted by glockjeeper
Good post RussP.

I used to ear a Maroon Beret with pride. But only because it marked me as being part of the Elite Airborne. Practically speaking, I hated the darn things. I could only keep the right ear warm (I was an Arctic Paratrooper from 1985-1988) and saw no real utility for it.

IMHO, those type of headgears should only be authorized and required for dress uniforms and not for everyday use.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:09   #5
RussP

Thanks...

I have to admit, I got a little po'd when I heard everyone would wear berets. The distinctive colors of the beret head covers assigned to the elite units set them apart.

I flew with and was adopted by a few units that earned me the right to wear certain colored scarves, ascots, blouse my Class A's, little stuff like that.

But when someone wearing a beret walked by, I always made an effort to nod to that individual, a little extra acknowlegement, especially the PJ's.;?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28   #6
glockjeeper
G19/J Frame fan

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by CarlosDJackal[i] IMHO, those type of headgears should only be authorized and required for dress uniforms and not for everyday use. [/B]

That I will agree on. I do think they "look" good and all but as an everyday item they SUCK. They don't help keep the sun out of your eyes either. I mainly didn't like the decision to go to them because they stole the color from the Rangers. That was just wrong. Does anyone know if they like the tan berets they have to wear now?
Old 04-27-2004, 13:17   #7
Central Texan
AmericanSoldier

I only know 2 Rangers on a personal level. They both have agreed that the only thing they like about the tan beret is that it sets them apart form regular soldiers. They both said the Army should have let them keep their black ones and if they realy wanted to make the rest of us wear one that we should have had to get the tan ones. I agree, why make the Ranger's change when it's been their tradition for a lot longer than us.
Frankly, I think they make us look to "Eropean". I dont like the look at all, not for a normal everyday soldier.
I know the Army has already made it's decision and it doesnt show any indication that it will change it's mind anytime soon, but I still wear my BDU cover except for in formation where we HAVE to wear our toilet seat covers. Other than that we pretty much have a choice of what headgear we wear. Being that I'm stuck in the motor pool the soft cap is usualy the headwear of choice anyways.
Lone Star Glocker #25
Central Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 15:30   #8
FatBob

I just got out of the Army last summer, after 7 years of active duty. I don't remember one time in those 7 years when I was given the choice of what headgear I wanted to wear. Personaly I hated the beret. When we were given the "change over" to the beret, I was deployed, and when I redeployed, I got screamed at for not wearing the beret I was never issued! So I was issued a beret that day (Army style) 4 sizes to small, no unit crest, and forced to wear it. Anybody see someone wearing a new beret that wasn't shaved or shaped! That was me for a day, an NCO that was always pressed and polished (MP) wearing what looked like a black bakers cap, because that was what I was told to do. After my duty day was over I went to the pawn shop off post, and bought a beret that fit me (PX was completely out of them), and spent the whole night in a stinky wet wool hat, trying to shape it for the next morning. Oh the good old days!
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 20:39   #9
MR. Fantastic

Sounds like you all should have joined the Marines instead. But, then again you would be stuck with those silly virtual reality/digital cammies. Although, they are practical in the sense that you don't have to spend so long pressing them out (wrinkle free).
Semper Fi ^1
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 18:49   #10
JoeG19

Quote:
Originally posted by MR. Fantastic
Sounds like you all should have joined the Marines instead. But, then again you would be stuck with those silly virtual reality/digital cammies. Although, they are practical in the sense that you don't have to spend so long pressing them out (wrinkle free).
Semper Fi ^1
Mr. Fantastic: You probably don't remember the 'herringbone utilities'. The neatest work uniform the Corps ever had. Went out of style in about 1960. When???????? 1960? - Semper Fi - 'ole joe

LFI-1
The Only Latin I Know:
Montani Semper Liberi
Semper Fidelis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JoeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 14:42   #11
shrpnl

Send a message via Yahoo to shrpnl
I'm from St. Louis and belong to a local VFW Post. When we heard that the Black Berets were being taken away from the rangers one of our members who was a ranger back in 67-69 decided to protest. He walked from St. Louis, MO to Washington DC. We were all very proud of him. As for current Rangers, I know a couple who were highly ticked off that they lost the black berets they worked and bled so much for. I never did like the idea of every soldier getting a beret. I feel it was a recruiting scam to get more people to join. Anyway, thanks for listenting.

AIRBORNE!!!!!!

Lets Glock and Load!!!!
shrpnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:19   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I was under the impression that the ranger who did that walk was serving at the time. He had served in just cause, and wore the berret of a fallen ranger from just cause.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 00:19   #13
Onion11
Pluck Off!

Came across this online, you might find it interesting...

http://www.rangerblackberet.com/
Onion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:46   #14
shrpnl

Send a message via Yahoo to shrpnl
Hey AK, you are correct. There were actually several Former Rangers that took the walk as well. I believe they were all or mostly independent from each other. The gentleman from my post was just one of them. I actually think that one former Ranger walked from coast to coast. That may have been the active duty Ranger that your talking about though.

Lets Glock and Load!!!!
shrpnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:20   #15
xtrik8ifc

Send a message via Yahoo to xtrik8ifc
so called airborne Baret

as for the maroon baret.that baret did not belong to the airborne. The first troops to ever wear that color were the Armored units and if I remember correctly was designed and put in to service by one of the greatest generals this country will ever know Gen.George S. Patton.I agree that the decision to use it for a daily uniform utility was not well thought out. The change came after my ETS but I just can't imagine wearing the silly thing to work in the moterpool trying to do your PMCS. The old ball cap style just seems to me to serve the pupose much better.Oh well who are we to argue with all the brilliant minds in the 5 sided puzzle palace.
#349 40 S&W club
#4177 1911 club
xtrik8ifc is offline   Reply With Quote