Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2004, 17:08   #1
nu2carry

TFR's

Are you guys sick of these? How many times have you been affected by TFR's?
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html

Guess I will have to change my flight times and plans again for the umpteenth time for some Politico.

Oh that's right this is not just your run of the mill politico! This is theeeee MAN!

Guess all us non-important-types just gotta tow the line and mind our TFR's.

I know this is really stupid, but when the Prez is jetting around for campaign purposes is his campaign fund picking up the tab or are we?
nu2carry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:35   #2
Andrew Tacquard

If he is in AF1, then yeah us. I am sure it is a standard thing that all of them do. Get use to TFRs, they don't just occur for politicians. I've seen flight plans changed for sporting events in Houston and San Antonio (super bowl and march maddness). Thank you local terrorist for that one. They are a neccessary evil.
Andrew Tacquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 15:29   #3
sopdan
In Expatistan

Monday's my first TFR here at BTL, but we've actually known about it for a week now so its not much of a surprise. I'm not scheduled to fly on Monday anyways, so it doesn't really affect me.
sopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:19   #4
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Tacquard
If he is in AF1, then yeah us.
That is not entirely correct. If it is a campaign trip the re-election campaign funds pay for the costs regardless of the aircraft he actually flies on.

While having AF1 to use as a campaign vehicle is always the best perk for an incumbant president, it does not come courtesy of the american taxpayer.

And just to clarify a point before someone else calls me on it, any AF aircraft that the president is on is called AF1, not just one particular aircraft.

One of the former presidential fleet 707's that Kennedy and Johnson used has been restored and is available to walk through at the Pima County Air Museum in Tucson.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 19:01   #5
Dig

Texas T is correct. Press pools and visiting staffers also pay to ride in advance press acft prior to events, they also pay for every seat they take in HMX-1 press/staff helo's.
Old 05-02-2004, 21:04   #6
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Dig
Texas T is correct. Press pools and visiting staffers also pay to ride in advance press acft prior to events, they also pay for every seat they take in HMX-1 press/staff helo's.
Would you happen to know the costs?

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Old 05-03-2004, 08:10   #7
Andrew Tacquard

I didn't realize that the prez had to pay to fly on AF1 for campaign trips. I wonder how they calculate the cost.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:47   #8
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I too am curious if anyone knows the price/cost.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 21:46   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Bush's campaign is required to reimburse the government for the campaign portion of trips, including flight costs for himself, first lady Laura Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and campaign staff. Reimbursement is based on first-class service, walk-up coach fare if there is commercial service but no first class, or the charter rate if there's no commercial service.

That's a heck of a deal if you ask me. I'd like to be able to charter the AF1 747 for the price of a regular first class ticket.
;a

It is clear, for instance, that the first-class fares cover only a small fraction of the cost of operating Air Force One. The Air Force estimate is $2,912 per hour, which includes fuel, oil, water and latrine costs. The General Accounting Office has put the cost at more than $34,000, and the Republican Party used the figure of $35,000 in 2000 when complaining about travel by Hillary Rodham Clinton, who at the time was first lady and running for the Senate.

Last edited by Texas T; 05-03-2004 at 21:52..
Old 05-04-2004, 18:59   #10
Andrew Tacquard

So we are paying the rest of the bill. I am sure 2,912/hr (JP8 or what ever the AF uses, oil, maintence, pilot/air crew pay, water. latrine, food) is a pretty conservative cost estimate. But that doesn't bother me. I figure it is a perk of being the prez and have no problems with the as long as the Prez or VP is in the jet. But I don't agree with using it for a senate campaign.
Old 05-04-2004, 20:29   #11
Wulfenite
The King

That's kind of one of those things where if you put more restrictions on it the politicians would just "game" it more. Instead of just doing their campaiging and moving on they'd hang around for an extra 1/2 hour to meet with the local National Guard Captian or whoever to make it look like a "rally the troups" trip on the books.

I figure the Campaign pluses are counter balanced by the fact that he incumbant has to make real decisions during the campaign. They cant just get away with saing "well if I were in charge I would have done X".