Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2004, 20:04   #1
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

For those who hunt praire dogs

Check out these videos, the last of the 4 is the best...

http://www.dogbegone.com/video.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 21:56   #2
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Be careful...the last time someone posted that, it pissed off a lot of our resident lefists.

;Q
Old 05-03-2004, 22:02   #3
El Capitan
Kalibanned

http://www.varmintvideos.com/

"Now you see 'em, now you don't!" ;0 ;N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-

NRA Life - CRPA
El Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 22:50   #4
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally posted by Drjones
Be careful...the last time someone posted that, it pissed off a lot of our resident lefists.

;Q
Bring 'em on!!

Old 05-04-2004, 22:31   #5
bambihunter
10mm collector

Here's some aftermath still-shots from last summer... I bet you can't figure out which ones were shot with a .22lr and which ones weren't...
Click here for some gross pics (some clean gun pics too)
My current 10mm's: D.W. Patriot, Razorback #70 and #118 of 150. Kimber Custom Stainless Target II, Colt Delta Elite Ultimate stainless, Colt Delta Gold Cup stainless, Colt Double Eagle MKII stainless, I.A.I. Javelina, Springfield Armory/Peter Stahl Omega Match, Star Megastar, Glock 20, Glock 29, S&W 1006, S&W 1026 Police, S&W 1046, S&W 1066, S&W 1076 FBI, S&W 1086, Tanfoglio Witness Compact in wonder finish.
bambihunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:16   #6
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I have shot prairie dogs, but only with .22's.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:11   #7
Gary42141

Is there a purpose behind killing prairie dogs, other than to simply kill them for the fun of it?

I hunt deer, and eat what I kill rather than kill for the fun of seeing something die, which seems to be the point behind shooting prairie dogs. It definitely seemed to be the point behind the videos.

If there is a point to it beyond that, let me know.
Gary42141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:36   #8
Wotan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary42141
Is there a purpose behind killing prairie dogs, other than to simply kill them for the fun of it?

I hunt deer, and eat what I kill rather than kill for the fun of seeing something die, which seems to be the point behind shooting prairie dogs. It definitely seemed to be the point behind the videos.

If there is a point to it beyond that, let me know.
^6
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:11   #9
bambihunter
10mm collector

Yes, there's a major point to it... The prairie dogs (also referred to as "ditch diggers" for a good reason) reside on farmland which is also often used for raising livestock. The prairie dogs dig thier tunnels out in open pasture and rarely in the woods. These pastures are where cattle, horses, and other livestock live and graze. They dig the tunnel, then the livestock walks along and either steps into the holes or the tunnel collapses causing the livestock injuries, usually broken legs. Of course this either costs the farmers money to the vet or they have to put the animal down. They also can carry disease, but that's such a seldom occurance that one rarely hears of it.

In both Oklahoma and Kansas (the only places I've hunted them), farmers welcomed hunters that will shoot these vermin. I have even had farmers offer to buy my ammo to shoot them.
My current 10mm's: D.W. Patriot, Razorback #70 and #118 of 150. Kimber Custom Stainless Target II, Colt Delta Elite Ultimate stainless, Colt Delta Gold Cup stainless, Colt Double Eagle MKII stainless, I.A.I. Javelina, Springfield Armory/Peter Stahl Omega Match, Star Megastar, Glock 20, Glock 29, S&W 1006, S&W 1026 Police, S&W 1046, S&W 1066, S&W 1076 FBI, S&W 1086, Tanfoglio Witness Compact in wonder finish.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14   #10
bambihunter
10mm collector

Also, I'd like to add that I consider myself a very ethical hunter, I wouldn't dream of shooting a "sport" animal that I wasn't intending on eating. However, I do shoot crows, mangy-looking coyotes (but normally leave healthy looking ones unless they are a problem), and prairie dogs. That may seem contradictory and may make me a hypocrite for calling myself an ethical hunter (if that's the way you perceive it, so be it), but I don't see it that way. I might think this way because I grew up on a farm and we had problems with varmits.
Yes, I do enjoy shooting what my buddy calls "interactive targets"...
Old 05-05-2004, 04:23   #11
Gary42141

Ahh..ok.

The videos still seem a bit perverse. It's almost as if they're getting off on killing, rather than doing it out of necessity.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:07   #12
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Consider what you do to spiders or scorpions in your house. Same thing, only on a field and, unfortunately, they're cuter.

DanH
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:35   #13
Gary42141

Quote:
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Consider what you do to spiders or scorpions in your house.
I've conceded the point to Bambihunter regarding the necessity of the act itself. If the holes dug by prairie dogs cause harm to cattle and to the livelihood of ranchers, etc, then I've no problem with it.

I think though, that when you videotape something like this and then slow it down so as to see an animal exploding into bits....there's a problem with the mentality of the individual as well as anyone who believes it to be cool, neat, fun, exciting, or entertaining.

Your results may vary.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:00   #14
PDogSniper

Gary,

Prairie Dogs do a tremdous amount of damage to pasture and crop lands. Ranchers have been battling them for centurys. If you look at the alternative shooting by sport shooters is the most humane way to control their numbers, and control is the correct word.

Ranchers have resorted to poisoning and vacuuming them from their dens. Vacuuming them litterally collects hundreds of thousands of them and they still run rampant, having up to three litters a year, with the first litter able to reproduce within that first year...;P

Poisoning wrecks havoc on the enviroment. Hawks and Eagles feed on the poisoned carcass's and thusly become poisoned themselves.

With shooting, the scavengers are able to come in and clean up with no harm to them. Snakes are then able to move in to the dens...

Does there seem to be a perversity to killing them...? Yea, maybe so. But I think it's more the satisfaction of a 250 to 400 yard shot with a .223 or a 22.250... To see the devesatation and power a round does is, for lack of a better word, a remarkable sight... My claim to fame is a 150 yd. shot with my AR15 and a Holo-Sight on it...

I'm not into persons killing for pleasure either....

The bunny huggers (I'm for protecting the spotted owl) fear the extermination of these cute little buggers. Rest assured, even if the hunters were allowed to go in with complete abandon they still couldn't wipe them out. Even so, the ranchers wouldn't allow it.

What one thing people don't think to much of is that farmers and ranchers do believe in the eco-system and everything here has it place.

I hope this puts it in to a more reasonable perspective..

PDog...

Member NRA
Member GOA
PDogSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:48   #15
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

In addition to what everybody else said about the tremendous damage that dogs do, I'd like to add that they render literally thousands of acres of land completely unuseable due to their burrowing.

They are a major problem.

And I find it interesting how people get indignant (as I said they would) over these videos. While I can fully understand their point and agree to some extent, I guarantee you there would be no outcry whatsoever were someone to post a video of people gleefully stomping on spiders.

;Q

The cuter a critter gets, the more people value its life. ;Q
Old 05-05-2004, 12:10   #16
noway

Also to add to the above, the praire dogs are know to cause damage to sewage and water lines. Numerous cities in far NW Texas have problems and implement bounties on the black tails heads. Some of the dog towns where reported to have population over the 100s and close to 1000 dogs per communities.

When no other methods are available to reduce counts, then like posted above people are paid to go out and reduce the dogs counts by shooting them. Baiting has shown in the past to be least effective & the poisons have destroyed numerous other animals and traps are pretty much useless.

Now the videos are kinda sick & glorifiys the killing and kinda feeds the anit-hunting campaign that PETA and their likes think about ALL hunters. But I personally wouldn't kill any dogs in the ways that they show. But hunting praire dogs is okay by me.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:51   #17
tjpet

Although PD's are a major pain-in-the-neck for ranchers/farmers hereabouts I shoot them for the sheer fun of it.

Nothing like looking through a 24x scope and getting your daily dose of IVG's (instant visual gratifications.)

Plenty to go around, no season or limit, and they explode so very nice when tagged just right. Around these parts we speak of the "christmas tree" effect when a dog is hit hard: red guts on a sagebrush green backround.

Last edited by tjpet; 05-05-2004 at 21:01..
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 20:32   #18
El Capitan
Kalibanned

Quote:
Originally posted by tjpet
Although PD's are a major pain-in-the-neck for ranchers/farmers hereabouts I shoot them for the sheer fun of it.

Nothing like looking through a 24x scope and getting your daily dose of IGV's (instant visual gratifications.)

Plenty to go around, no season or limit, and they explode so very nice when tagged just right. Around these parts we speak of the "christmas tree" effect when a dog is hit hard: red guts on a sagebrush green backround.
Sweet. Finally an honest response.
Ya, it would suck if people were torturing them or killing them in a way they died slowly, but damn, they simply explode. Can't believe they feel or are aware of anything, so who cares if some get excited lighting them up!

Too bad we don't have any out here in the PRK, that's one shoot I'd love to join in on.

-

NRA Life - CRPA
El Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 22:19   #19
firminw

T- Shirt!

I regurlarly wear a T- shirt showing a prarie dogs head wreathed in the objective and crosshairs of a scope. It has a caption which reads Long Distance is the next best thing to being there. I dont care who I piss off, I've sent several thousand of the little hairy buggers to the great beyond and proud of it. I am foremost an ethical hunter but I enjoy shooting these little leg breakers, it's probably one of the "funnest" things you can do with your clothes on. Let some animal nazi be riding a horse who steps in one of their little bunkers and they'll change their tune. We used to have ranchers pay us per dawg, it wasn't much but it bought beer for later that evening. I thanked each and evryone I offed for buyin' the beer. So I guess i was truly ehtical in offin' the little buggers 'cause I was drinking on them. Dont worry 'bout the animal rightist, I'm for animals having rights when they can vote and pay taxes,
Old 05-05-2004, 22:32   #20
geminicricket
NRA Life member

A few years ago, National Geographic did a photo spread of prairie dog hunting. The full color stop-action photos were maximum carnage, and the accompanying text was just about neutral on the subject.
It was just a straight up, "Bubba like to shoot prairie dogs, and ranchers let him. Here's how:"

geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote