SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2004, 17:15   #1
lazarus
Hard to Kill

Caught my first Fish on a Fly Rod!

After two years of sporadic hacking at trout streams, I decided to get focused. Based on some advice found in this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=224774

I went to a small lake near my home to try for Blue Gills. I started with a spinning rod to find a good spot and make sure they were biting. After landing 3-4 small ones, I broke out my fly rod. Instead of a fly, I attached a small hook to the end of the leader and baited it with a piece of nightcrawler.

On my second or third cast, I caught a small blue gill. I got 4-5 more beofre it got too dark. It was great.

At one point I took off the hook/worm and tried a couple of different dry flies I had in my tackle box, with no results. I think the key is to get some wet flies that will sink, since the fish weren't hitting on the surface.

Can anybody give me some advice on what kind of flies to use for Blue Gills?

Thanks in advance.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 17:26   #2
Ised8u
A Quiet Place

Never have really been fly fishing but it looks cool! Congrats on your catch!
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Ised8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 17:54   #3
Got Glox??
Stop Looking

Some flies work all over the US but you really have to look at what's in their environment and gear accordingly. While yes, i do use some 'odd ball' patterns, i usually stick to basics.

Here is a web site on a few patterns i own..........
http://www.flymartonline.com/modules...view_album.php
Do a search for your state insect hatch times and start there.

What i use here for Blue Gills (and other pan fish) is a water spider fly that looks like this>>>>Hunting, Fishing & Camping

I am 'still' an amateur at fly fishing, and do prefer a spinning outfit, but enjoy it very much.

Black Rifle Club #5150

OAF #5150

"As a candidate and as President, I will never pander to the extremist NRA for personal or political expediency. I will beat the NRA."

-Senator John Kerry
Got Glox?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 18:23   #4
lethal tupperwa

try

a muddler minnow size 10 it looks like a fish and floats on or near the surface so you can see it move when you get a hit.

To the eye of its hook tie a 12 to 14 inch piece of 4lb test.

to its end tie a hares ear bead head nymph about a size 10 or 12.

one that works on the surface until, you chip the finish, is a Jim Dandy. It is gray with a pattern on it and legs.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 20:19   #5
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I went the same route as you--i got a fly rig,and went down to the local park.I tied on a small "ant" style fly--i was getting some bites--and finally--bam!! yeah--what a great little fighter!!I have since caught several sunfish on it--its a blast.Try a very small fly--thats the key,i tied on some bigger spider styles and the sunfish would just peck at them on the surface of the water--they were to big--the really small flys work great.Have fun!!!!^c

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 20:47   #6
method

I used to catch some really nice bluegill and largemouth in a farm pond back in Ohio, using a 5 weight rod with poppers, sneaky pete's, and streamers. The streamers got some smallmouth and rock bass in a couple of creeks too.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:40   #7
shrpshtr

Send a message via ICQ to shrpshtr Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr
lazarus,

i was in the same boat with fly fishing until last fall when i decided to get serious with it. i read a couple of good books, set myself up with the right equipment and planned a trip with a buddy of mine to the western NC mountains to fish for a week. the first day of fishing was kinda slow, but the second day we caught 40, then 25 on the 3rd we were over 75 fish. i learned a tremendous amount on that trip and had an absolute blast. we already have another trip scheduled. it is very addicting. here are a couple of photos from the trip...they make me ready to go again today!

Hunting, Fishing & Camping Rainbow Trout

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Rainbow Trout

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

Brown Trout

My Buddy's Brook Trout

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:55   #8
lazarus
Hard to Kill

Excellent! Encouraging news.

Since my last post, I've been back out to the lake several times. I moved past the worm on a hook stage and have been catching Blue Gills very successfully on "popper" flies. I got a small assortment from the local Orvis dealer and some from Bass Pro Shops.

I've been going in the evening after work. On my last excursion, I caught 15 Blue Gills in about 2 hours. At least ten of those were good eating size. On that day, I already had dinner plans, so I released them.

I actually live in prime trout country (near the Shenandoah National Park), so I am going to go for Trout again soon.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:18   #9
Esox357

Laz, flies are expensive, so you may want to learn how to make your own. Fly tying is simple, especially if you have someone who can teach you. Congrats on the fish you have caught and keep fishing. Its addictive. Esox357
Old 05-23-2004, 16:47   #10
Yamdog

Laz good for you, you're on your way! My son and I were fly fishing for shad last Friday and the week before that we were at a lake fly fishing for perch and bass. We use size 8-10 floating flies like an Elk Hair Caddis or a popper. It seems to work best if you strip them a couple of inches then stop for awhile. By the way my son is 9 years old, and loves fly fishing.
Old 05-23-2004, 17:45   #11
freepatriot
Retired GT Mod

Congrats, Lazarus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

freepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:39   #12
Danguard Ace

Great to see there are some fly fishermen here.

Keep at it Lazarus. ^c Though I'm sure you don't need the encouragement.

While below the surface is often where the fish are, there's nothing like watching a fish crash a fly on the surface. Have you tried a gurgler yet? They tend to be lighter than classic style poppers. The main boddy is constructed of closed cell foam, followed by a tail (bucktail, synthetic material, etc.) and some flash.

Fly fishing is very addicting, even to those who never had an interest in fishing prior to picking up a fly rod. I've been at it for five years come this August. I think? ;5 I've been fishing since I was 12 and am thankful for the day I bought my first fly rod. Today I'm at 9 rods and 7 reels, ranging in applications from trout to school bluefin tuna.

Did I say fly fishing is addicting already? ^8
Danguard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 13:23   #13
Esox357

Bluegills will hit anything. I had good luck buying some foam boddies in the shape of a "thin" tear drop and tyed them to a #10 hook and had excellent luck with them. They come in green, white, and black. If you want to get fancy buy the rubber legs material and use a needle and push it through the foam to have legs on them. The bluegill will go crazy for them. Also buy some small poppers. Woolyworms work great on all species as well and is a favorite pattern of mine. I think you can buy them like a 100 for 1.00 or two. Good luck Esox357