Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2004, 21:12   #1
pbass

Amvets

Going through retirement processing, I took note when a briefer mentioned that AMVETS had someone on base who would look over medical records and assist in applying for disability free of charge. These guys and gals (National Service Officers) are experts. There are three here in the Tidewater area, one at Fort Monroe, one at Langley Air Force Base, and one at Norfolk Naval Base. You bring them your records, sign a power of attorney and they take over (and you get out of the way). They have a full-time person at the Court of Veterans Appeals and they WILL take your case there if they feel you haven't gotten the percentage you deserve. No time limit, the NSO who was working with me had been contacted by a 65-year-old who had never applied to the VA and this NSO got him $180,000 back pay. A really impressive service and you would be surprised how many vets I'm running across who never heard of them and never applied for their bennies, guys who have been through surgeries and everything. Just wanted to mention this in case someone out there could benefit from it.
pbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49   #2
RussP

^6
Thank You!^c

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 18:31   #3
Lou Abbott

AMVETS

:(
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I was refused any medical evaluation (for a base line) by the VA when I retired. Said I made too much money to be admitted. (over $25K). Seems like we made too many veterans over the years and the country can't afford to treat them all. Our elected officials in DC at it again. Wish I could take a few of them back to Viet Nam and see if they change their minds.
AVCM(AW) Retired
Old 05-10-2004, 07:02   #4
pbass

Re: AMVETS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Abbott
:(
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I was refused any medical evaluation (for a base line) by the VA when I retired. Said I made too much money to be admitted. (over $25K). Seems like we made too many veterans over the years and the country can't afford to treat them all. Our elected officials in DC at it again. Wish I could take a few of them back to Viet Nam and see if they change their minds.
AVCM(AW) Retired
I think some newbie got it all wrong on you. Way I understand it, the ONLY thing they use income reportage for at the VA is when deciding whether you have to make copayments or not when you visit the VA hospital. It does not affect your disability percentage rating at all, nor the benefits deriving from that rating.

Here is a list of <a href="http://amvets.org/HTML/what_we_do/NSO.html">state AMVETS NSOs</a>. They can steer you to the one closest you. No matter how long you have waited, if you have the documentation you are good to go.

As a friend of mine told me when he retired, almost anyone who has done 20 will have enough stuff in their record to get them 10% even if they feel fine. That doesn't sound like a whole lot, especially since DoD keeps the 10% the VA gives you, but that 10% the VA gives you is non-taxable. For the average retiree, that works out to an extra $50 cash a month for the rest of their life. It all adds up.
pbass is offline   Reply With Quote