SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2004, 14:40   #1
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Extra full

How many of you guys have used a Saiga Semiauto 3" 12ga for turkey? Do I really need an Extra Full choke for a typical Turkey hunt situation? Or will the fixed Full choke do the job?
thanks
-MG21

Last edited by MrGlock21; 05-14-2004 at 14:43..
MrGlock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 18:12   #2
mpol777
Feral Member

I've killed plenty with a standard full choke in 12ga. My first turkey was taken with a modified choke 20ga. The new stuff out there offers more range, but the old stuff does the job.

Depending on the caller, in my case it was my uncle, range isn't that much of an issue. I can't call a turkey for spit, but he can get them so close you could just grab 'em. Well, maybe a little further than that, but darn close. ;f
Old 05-14-2004, 18:34   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Well, one thing i've never been accused of is being real smart. Never heard of the shotgun you mentioned. But in 30 some years I have seen a whole lot of birds (turkeys) put down. If you use a standard full choke, you got enough. A 20 ga.with modified has brought down tons of gobblers for us. "Like the 12ga better". Just do your part. Man it is getting that bird in close and doing your part that is the bottom line here. 12ga. mod/full, 20ga. mod/full, # 4's/6's, out to 30yards, you got meat. Don't make the mistake of trying to get real fancy in this 'gaget filled world.' Just keep it simple and use cover wisely and camo, do your home work, and have fun.

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:04   #4
VonFatman

Just bring them in close...

That's 1/2 the fun anyway! Call them 20-25 yards and aim head and neck...not a problem if you use a standard full choke. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle and have installed a Hastings extra-full turkey choke on this gun...I guide alot and want the extra range in case I need to finish off a crippled bird for a new hunter
An extra full tube does make a diffrence. I think it's a good idea if for no other reason than to give you a tighter pattern for a follow-up shot...in case you don't drop him first pull of the trigger.

My .02

Bob
Old 05-25-2004, 07:11   #5
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

I’ve shot all of my latest (6) turkeys using Remington’s Hevi-Shot & an Improved-Cylinder (IC) choke tube. (My gun & the Hevi-Shot have been used for 5 other turkey slayings too, by family/friends.) Using a choke tube tighter then Modified (M) will more then likely get you a worst pattern with the Hevi-Shot. I got a better pattern with my IC tube then I did with my M tube when I did my testing… YMMV.

FYI, when I was using lead (actually it was plated lead) shot I did use an XX-Full choke tube… it is a very nice tube & remember giving $100+ for it 5 or 6 years back.