Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2004, 19:48   #1
RussP

Unit Histories - Legends - Stories

There isn't a unit in today's military without a history, legends, and a bunch of stories.

It's fair to ask that everything be kept as close to PG as possible, okay?;f

What's yours?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:30   #2
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

unit histories - legends - stories

you folks that are good at research, check this one out. i was in the first cav, in korea, and the story was the colors could never be returned to this country, because of a bad combat record, cowardice under fire and all that. the best i can figure the first cav had an excellent combat record.

my next door neighbor, as i was growing, up was in the first cav, and his clain was the first cav raped about half the san francisco water front before they shipped out for the south pacific. eleanor roosevelt was so outraged she demanded those perverts never set foot in this country again. the colors were like, banned.

anyone have the straight skinny on that?

Last edited by Bill Powell; 05-18-2004 at 07:32..
Bill Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:38   #3
fade2black
USMC Veteran

I was in a unit similar to that in the Marines. My first unit in the FMF after school was 2/4, The Magnificant Bastards. From what I was told they bounce from Regiment to Regiment because they are the bastard battalion of the Marine Corps; the are the only unit to ever lose their Battalion Colors in battle. They were disbanded in 1994 and we were redesignated 2/6. A few years later 2/4 popped back up in Pendelton part of 5th Marine Regiment. I think they are in Afghanistan right now.
Old 05-18-2004, 18:47   #4
MR. Fantastic

Quote:
Originally posted by fade2black
I was in a unit similar to that in the Marines. My first unit in the FMF after school was 2/4, The Magnificant Bastards. From what I was told they bounce from Regiment to Regiment because they are the bastard battalion of the Marine Corps; the are the only unit to ever lose their Battalion Colors in battle. They were disbanded in 1994 and we were redesignated 2/6. A few years later 2/4 popped back up in Pendelton part of 5th Marine Regiment. I think they are in Afghanistan right now.
The 4th Marine regiment is located in Okinawa Japan and they swap batallions with U.S. based regiments on the west coast for deployment purposes. 3/4 is part of the 7th Marine regiment 18 months at a time in 29 Palms Ca. Then they do their 6 month pump in Japan with the 4th. This is during normal peacetime operations however.
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 18:57   #5
Artisan

"The horse thats facing the wrong way, the line they couldn't cross, and the color speaks for itself." -About the 1st CAV class A patch.

Rumor supposed to have something to do with a retreat that happened against orders in Viet-Nam. I havent any fact to back this up but it might be a lead for someone who wants to take the time to research.
Old 05-18-2004, 19:35   #6
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

unit histories - legends - stories

artisan, your belief in the viet nam story is one of the reasons i would like to know the real story. i was in the first cav in korea in 1960, and that story was going strong then. i do know the first cav colors never made it back to the states after WW11. the first air cav changed a lot of that attitude toward the cav.
Old 05-18-2004, 20:28   #7
Artisan

Well, like I said 'rumor'. Thanks for setting me straight on some fact though. Hope you find your information, if I get a minute or two I'll try to dig something with a hard foundation. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:10   #8
RussP

http://www.hood.army.mil/1stcavdiv/history/patch.htm
Veteran's Forum
Quote:
History of "The Patch"
The patch of the 1st Cavalry Division has a history as colorful as its design, reflecting the proud heritage of the United States Cavalry in a timeless manner.

The insignia selected for the First team patch was designed by Colonel and Mrs. Ben Dorsey. The colonel was then commander of the 7th Cavalry Regiment at Fort Bliss, Texas. Mrs. Dorsey related that the combination of the golden sunset at Fort Bliss and the traditional colors of the Cavalry; blue and yellow, were a great influence on the background color and the insignia. The choice of the horse's head for the insignia was made by the family after they observed a mounted trooper ride by their home on a beautiful blue-black thoroughbred. Later, to improve visibility, the color scheme was modified replacing the blue for black, the symbolic color of iron and armor.

On a "sunset" yellow triangular Norman Shield with rounded corners 5 1/4 inches in height, a black diagonal stripe extends over the shield from upper left to the lower right. In the upper right, a black horse's head cut off diagonally at the neck, appears within 1/8 inches of an Army Green border. The traditional Cavalry color of yellow and the horse's head is symbolic of the original organizational structure of the Cavalry. The color black is symbolic of iron, alluding to the organizational transition from mounted horses to tanks and heavy armor. The black stripe, in heraldry termed a "Sable Bend", represents a "baldric" (a standard Army issue belt worn over the right shoulder to the opposite hip - sometimes referred to as a "Sam Browne belt") which retains either a scabbard which sheaths the trooper's saber or revolver holster.

During the Vietnam engagements, the yellow background of the patch for Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) was changed to a subdued Olive Drab (OD) green in order to minimize targeting of personnel. The yellow/black patch is retained for Class "A" uniform dress. Otherwise the patch has not changed from the original design and shape.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:57   #9
RoyG
NSDQ

"A horse never rode and a bridge never crossed. And it's yellow for a reason."

The story I always heard was the North Koreans invaded South Korea The 1st CAV was sent in from Japan to defend the South. Well they came under overwhelming forces and retreated to the very south of the ROK. In doing so they left many of the units colors. Because of the retreat and having the colors fall they were banned from returning to the states until they redeemed themselves. That's why when the 11th ABN was deployed to Viet Nam they were reflagged as the 1st CAV in order for the unit to have a chance to fight and save face.

At one while I was cruising the net I found on the Institute of Heraldry web site this was a urban legend and that no unit had ever been banned from returning to the states because of retreating in battle.
RoyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 13:03   #10
RoyG
NSDQ

The Institute of Heraldry

And if your interested in reseaching Army unit backgrounds take a look at The Institute of Heraldry
RoyG is offline   Reply With Quote