SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2004, 20:45   #1
CarlosDJackal

My Father passed away last week

I also posted this in the GNG forum:

He was buried Tuesday morning (May 18th) with Full Military Honors provided by the MD National Guard Honor Guard. They provided a 2-man flag detail, a 3-man Rifle Squad, a (live) bugler, as well as an OIC (Major) and NCOIC (SSG). I did not even know these guys existed but they were very professional and very precise.

He was also rendered honors by the Knights of Columbus Sunday night (May 16th). It too was a very touching ceremony. He was a 4th Level Knight of the K of C and was given a certificate and pin for more than 50 years' membership just a few months ago.

He died peacefully 5 minutes after my sister-in-law and niece from Washington State arrived Friday morning (May 14th around 9:30 AM EST). The nurse did say that he was lingering, probably because he was waiting for someone. Two of my cousins arrived the night before. All six of his children were present for the funeral as well as being present when he came home from the hospital the Saturday before (May 8th).

At 88-years old he surpassed his life expectancy and probably outlived most, if not all of the japanese soldiers who tried to kill him either with a bullet, bayonet, or through torture or cruelty during World War II.

His highest award was the Bronze star, and as it turns out he was promoted to the rank of Captain in September of 1944. This is something we did not find out until just four days before his death. So on the day after he died, I drove out to Fort Belvoir, VA (his old stomping grounds while he was attending Combat Engineering School back in the 1940s) and pucrhased a (miniature) Captain's Bars tie pin. I pinned it onto the right collar of his "Barong Tagalog" (Filipino formal wear) and it was buried with him.

If anyone in the Baltimore area is looking for a Funeral home, I cannot say enough about the Shimunek Funeral Home. They and their staff were very accomodating and customer oriented. Dave, the guy who handled all the preperation and execution was very honest and up-front about any and all charges adn he did not try to sell us anything we didn't need. He and his assistants handled all the details, including the Honor Guard, with great precision. Turns out he is also a retired CW2 from the MD-ARNG.

The funeral included the release of some White Doves to signify the release of his soul from it's earthly bounds. I know he would have been very happy with this funeral.

Thank you all for all your prayers and well-wishes.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 21:18   #2
Central Texan
AmericanSoldier

Carlos, I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss. Not only is this your loss, but from the way you described him, it's the whole country's loss. He sounds like the type of man who makes me thank God for being born an American. I'm glad to hear that the NG did such a wonderfull and profesional job with there duties. Unfortunatly, when we burried my grandfather it was a differant story. It sounds like the soldiers who were there for your father took great honor in being there. That is one duty that I can honestly say I would never want, but at the same time couldnt be more proud to take part of. I'm glad that they handled it the way they did.
My best wishes and prayers go to you, your family, and your Father.
Lone Star Glocker #25
Central Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 22:16   #3
RussP

Carlos, my prayers will continue...

God Bless Your Family...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:50   #4
USMC79to83

May God keep his soul and recognize his contribution to Freedom and Liberty.

(Crisp Salute)
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24   #5
M2 Carbine

Carlos,
Your father was a man to be proud of.
I'm sure you understand his passing is not only a loss to you and family but a loss to us all.

I have the deepest respect and admiration for the men like him of his generation.

My Uncle died a couple weeks ago and received a military funeral. (Baltimore, Maryland)
I don't know the details.
My Aunt, who is weeks or maybe days away from dying with cancer, said it was handled well.

It's hard to take, but hang in there Buddy.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 05-20-2004 at 08:26..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:29   #6
fade2black
USMC Veteran

Godspeed ;?

"And when he gets to Heaven to St. Peter he will tell, one more soldier reporting sir. I've served my time in hell" - A WWII soldier
Old 05-20-2004, 16:58   #7
CarlosDJackal

Quote:
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
Carlos,
Your father was a man to be proud of.
I'm sure you understand his passing is not only a loss to you and family but a loss to us all.

I have the deepest respect and admiration for the men like him of his generation.

My Uncle died a couple weeks ago and received a military funeral. (Baltimore, Maryland)
I don't know the details.
My Aunt, who is weeks or maybe days away from dying with cancer, said it was handled well.

It's hard to take, but hang in there Buddy.
M2, I will be sure to say a prayer for you Aunt. Hopefully the Soldiers and Airmen who rendered the Military Honors at your late Uncle's funeral were as professional as the ones who were at my Father's. They all deserve the best performance from today's soldiers.

And thanks for everyone's prayers and well-wishes.

Stay safe!!

Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 05-22-2004 at 13:22..
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote