Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2004, 15:45   #1
VonFatman

Taking kids hunting...Success story!

A great hunt last Saturday, May 15th. I took a 13 year-old young lady (Jessica) and her grandmother (Joyce) over to Kansas to see if we could nab a gobbler.

We had to work at it as the gobblers in the area had been hunted a bit...did not whack one right after fly-down.

We chased a very vocal gobbler from one end of the farm and back...after numerous set-ups, at 9:30am we sat up for the last time. He was w/in 100 yards...I called but after a couple gobbles he hushed-up on us...Jessica and I nodded off a bit...I'm old, she doesn't have an excuse!

A quarter to ten, the gobbler was real close! Estimated 50-60 yards up in the timber. After ten minutes of soft clucks and no indication that he was coming in, I scanned the area before doing some loud cutting...low-and-behold two nice Jakes were 20-25 yards to my right! They never made a sound.

I whispered to Jessica and got her wheeled around when they walked past a thick patch...she finally got eye-balls on the birds....
She took the lead Jake at 24 steps!

It was a dandy shot...Jessica had borrowed my Mossberg Model 500 Camo Youth gun. She used the standard Mossberg FULL choke tube with Remington 3" #6's.

The bird was graveyard dead when he hit the ground!

It turned out the bird was a bit special (besides being Jessica's first turkey—first turkey hunt—or for that matter first hunt of any kind)...it had three beards (one was visible when she pulled the trigger) and it was a hybrid Merriam/Eastern. This farm was Merriam stocked years ago and the Eastern birds inter-breed with them. My son and I have taken five of these hybrids over the years (off this particular farm)...note the light tipped tail feathers.

This was a great hunt. Jessica's 15 year-old sister whiffed on a beautiful adult bird from 19 steps several weeks earlier...(I had called in four adult birds, all in a strut, all at the same time) But her sister missed and Jessica was READY to rub it in!!

I hope to call in a few more next week, a friend is coming in from Salt Lake City for his first turkey hunt...it'll be a bit warmer, but it's never to hot to talk turkey!!

Bob
Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Old 05-21-2004, 16:23   #2
mpol777
Feral Member

Sounds like a great hunt for both of you. Personally, I think naps are a great hunting technique. As long as you don't snore.
Old 05-21-2004, 19:10   #3
JC26

That success is an understatement! So many good values. Kudos.

jc
Old 05-22-2004, 22:39   #4
VonFatman

thanks...

mpol777,
Snoring....I do, but must not have done it too loud that day!
JC26,
Thanks!
Bob