Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:44   #1
C150J
Crackberry

Prior-Service Rotorheads to Part 121?

Hi all!

Any of you guys know of any former Army Aviators that were able to transition to the majors (after gaining the appropriate amount of fixed-wing/multi) time?

Thanks!
J.
C150J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:19   #2
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

I did. I was an aeroscout-turned-C12 pilot (against my will). I flew one MI/EW tour and got out in late ’90 with just enough time to get my ATP and started flying for America Eagle in early ‘91. Never having got on with at least a national (much less a major), I quit United Express in ‘95 because I was tired of living on beans and franks, flirting with bankruptcy, and tolerating abusive management.

I put my failure to reach a point I regarded as successful down to two points: 1) I’m a rotten salesman, especially when it comes to self-promotion, and 2) The airline industry was in rocky shape and the hiring market was soft.

I've not kept up with the market and have no idea how it compares now.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23   #3
C150J
Crackberry

May I ask what you do now?

Thanks for the reply!
J.
C150J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:29   #4
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

I'm a computer geek; UNIX when I can get it, Microsloth when I have to. And yes, my original IT training came courtesy of Uncle Sugar.

Looking back at your original Q, I sould note that United Express was Part 135.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 23:17   #5
flyandscuba

You can try to jump into the air medical market -- it's gonna be Part 135. Most hosptial-owned programs, or the 135 vendors they use, look for at least 2500-3000 hours for pilots. Salaries vary. When I started a program in Tennessee in '88 we hired pilots in at $37K (single-pilot IFR Bell 412). I was talking to one of the guys I used to work with here in Pensacola, who had recently come back to a new program here (BO105) -- and they were starting pilots at about the same rate (suprising to me that no increase had occurred in 16 years!). Not sure what my old Tennessee program is paying these days. I left the program in '92 -- and the business in '93.

Definitely not the "majors", and no travel benefits -- sometimes crappy schedules (12 hour shifts rotating between days and nights, sometimes 7-on 7-off) -- but you get to deal with hospital politics, type-A personalities in your crews, landing in less than desirable conditions -- in uncontrolled LZs, etc. What more excitement could you ask for??

Last edited by flyandscuba; 06-24-2004 at 23:21..
flyandscuba is offline   Reply With Quote