SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:50   #1
TriggerRider
Premium Man

How do you 'Carry' when Riding ?

Since we are both 'motorcyclist' and 'firearms' enthusiasts, I thought that this question might have relevance in our new 'Moto' club.
I'm always looking for new ways to 'carry' while riding (legally, of course - I have had my Indiana 'permit' for over 25 years).
My primary concealed carry weapons (Glock 27, or Taurus 85 titanium)
are usually carried IWB (when wearing a jacket), or in my Tourmaster mini-magnetic tankbag.

What method of 'motorcycle-carry' works best for you when considering
ACCESS, COMFORT, CONCEALABILITY, ect. ???
TriggerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 17:07   #2
MikeG22
CLM Number 11
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeG22
Sawed off shotgun in a side saddle.

J/K...I live in the PRK, no carrying here.
MikeG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 20:00   #3
TriggerRider
Premium Man

MikeG22 - well, it's too bad you're "just kidding", because I thought your 'Method' was a good idea !!!;N
Old 06-04-2004, 20:40   #4
Rule10b5

I usually carry my G26, IWB in an Alessi Talon Plus. I've had a couple of friends go down while carrying Glocks, and nobody has had a discharge. I'd rather carry my 642, but the Glock for some reason seems safer to me.

The part that annoys me about it, though, is that I refuse to ride without full gear, and ripping off a leather/kevlar glove seems like it would add a second or so to my draw. Quite frankly, I wish I could put a shotgun in a side saddle because the trigger guard is bigger and I wouldn't have to lose the glove. Then again, sliding on my Rem. 870 would probably be a bad thing ;Q
The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney.
Rule10b5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43   #5
USMC79to83

I keep the G-20 in the Tank Bag... It's handy enough, and not in the way.

There's no way I'd get a holster under my leather jacket (why do they shrink so much over the winter, anyway?). And if I could, I'm not sure I'd want it on my body, in the event of a get-off.

However, where I live, much of the good riding in over the border in the PRK. <sarcasm> But they don't have Bad Guy's there, they have strict anti-gun laws, nothing to worry about. </sarcasm>

db
Old 06-06-2004, 19:48   #6
TriggerRider
Premium Man

Yeah, Nothing at all to worry about. ;z

I've thought about the question of whether I want a 1.5 pound metal object on my hip in case of a get-off. Good Point- But............it's nice to get off and take a break, pay for gas, go to the restroom, ect., --- and Have your Gun With YOU.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:12   #7
Glock30fan
Cmbt Tupperware

I carry my S&W Bodyguard in a light holster tucked in the inside pocket of my leather jacket on any ride outside of my neighborhood. I also take the wife's cell phone, which came in handy after a midnight slide last year (p.s.-I am the only person on earth that has never had a cell phone, although I consider the wife's phone as important or more important than the Bodyguard while riding).
Glock30fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 18:56   #8
TriggerRider
Premium Man

I agree 'Glock30fan' - a cellphone is another Must Have

Just purchased my 'cell' about 9 months ago - and I thought I was the last person in the country to finally own one !

Last edited by TriggerRider; 06-07-2004 at 19:02..
Old 06-07-2004, 20:04   #9
rbielak
PPD

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerRider
I agree 'Glock30fan' - a cellphone is another Must Have

Just purchased my 'cell' about 9 months ago - and I thought I was the last person in the country to finally own one !
A cell phone is a MUST for ANYONE who carrys a pistol, regardless of whether they ride or not.

Summer: G27 OWB - yes, OWB Fobus paddle. But I *always* wear full leathers. Winter: G30, same as above.

With either, (2) extra mags are on the left side, OWB, Fobus paddle.

Sometimes, it all rides in the RKA 16L tankbag, sometimes in the RKA 27L tailbag, sometimes in the Givi E460 hardcase.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:27   #10
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

You should worry about getting away first if you're on a bike

Oh, and don't use your bike for cover. Think about where the gas tank sits, then think about what happens when gasoline reaches something really hot. ;f

I carry my Kel-Tec in the tank bag, most times. Tried IWB, but that hurts and it would really hurt if I had a get off (which happens way more frequently than I'd like).

Laura

http://www.bikergoddess.com
BikerGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:53   #11
Researcher

I carry a 23 IWB at about 3:30. My jacket covers it up.
Researcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 21:07   #12
TriggerRider
Premium Man

posted by BikerGoddess
Quote:
You should worry about getting away first if you're on a bike
Exactly, 'Goddess' - that's why my machine has 143 H.P. and the speedometer goes to 180 M.P.H.^5
Old 06-08-2004, 22:58   #13
mtb_mmw
Road Rash

Send a message via Yahoo to mtb_mmw
Saw a 1911 tucked in the back of a bikers jeans during a bike rally in Austin here last Saturday. I know I wasnt the only person either who saw it. I was in broad day light and there were hunderds of bikers around
mtb_mmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:05   #14
G36pilot

Keltec 380 in pocket holster tucked into either my leather vest inside breast pocket or jean front pocket. Will try the G27 in the vest at some point.

The G27 fits nicely into my jacket's inside breast pocket. When making a pit stop the jacket is unzipped for semi rapid firearm access.

Now that summer's here... G23 in a Galco fanny pack. The larger one has room for wallet, keys, etc.

Get Off issues aside place tank bag & saddlebag transport in the same category as off body transport. You won't have it readily available when you are most likely to need it. Not that lethal force is justified for property theft, but should you surprise the subject during the act and he decide to do you harm, the perp will be between you and your firearm. As always your first choice is to disengage, but what if you're not allowed to?

Another travel tip is keep a can of pepper spray in a black nylon velcro closure cell phone holder. Using the holders spring clip, I attach it to my RK's windshield bag for access during traffic stops. In two seasons of riding I've never been asked what's in the holder. My ready answer will be windshield cleaner. This should remove unwanted pests from view.

One could simply wear pepper spray on your belt as I do during a pit stop. Cold weather days it's popped into my weak side jacket pocket.

Pepper spray is nice to have at all times while armed and an especially good "de-escalator" during a low to medium intensity parking lot encounter.

As others have said, keep a cell phone handy. Mine is always on my person in case I have to move fast or become separated from my bike. IMO your defensive firearm should be too.

G36pilot
G36pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:11   #15
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Quote:
Originally posted by G36pilot
Get Off issues aside place tank bag & saddlebag transport in the same category as off body transport. You won't have it readily available when you are most likely to need it. Not that lethal force is justified for property theft, but should you surprise the subject during the act and he decide to do you harm, the perp will be between you and your firearm. As always your first choice is to disengage, but what if you're not allowed to?
Only way someone would get between me and the tankbag is if I have an unplanned dismount. Otherwise it goes with me. I don't leave anything on the bike that I want to keep, period.

Laura

Old 06-09-2004, 15:04   #16
G36pilot

Biker Goddess- that's a good plan. Keep it in your control.

I should have mentioned my riding style is often long distance touring. Fuel stops with extended leg stretching or meal consumption. Scenic overlook stops with possible hiking and photo expeditions- extended separations from my ride and packed travel gear. During those times nothing irreplaceable or of possible danger to others is left behind. Just as you rightly suggested.

To justify the ability to move quickly and defend oneself I'll share an account of a reserve police officer acquaintance of mine from just last year. Riding his all white HD Police Special returned to civilian use and his returning from police pistol training as the instructor, he was harassed by a carload of teenagers. Evidently the youths didn't notice his web gear complete with loaded duty pistol draped over his rider bike rest. With Stage 3 retention the pistol wasn't going anywhere, but it was openly visible on the right side. Wearing civilian clothing and riding a currently non-LEO bike he looked like a regular guy, and he is.

They tailgated for a while, attempted mild cut off maneuvers, and finally became more aggressive. Being in a congested small town he had little option for aggressive departure and made his move. He made a good choice to panic swerve and stop at a heavily populated Dairy Queen. Most bad guys desire neither high workload nor witnesses and that should have ended it. Well these youths weren't that educated and swerved alongside. The off duty officer saw the passenger window down and a pistol come up as he attempted to control the bike during the turning stop. Before he could react to the threat he was shot in the face with what was later found to be a plastic pellet similar to that fired by Airsoft equipment. It happened so fast he couldn't disengage or defend. They were long gone by the time he recovered and witnesses never got the license number. They are still unknown.

Granted that the officer did everything right with the information available as the event escalated, he still should have lost this encounter regardless of equipment carry. These youths have no idea how badly it could have gone for them under different circumstances. I mention this story as an extreme example for the need to always have a plan and be properly equipped for it. And it is OK to be separated from your equipment provided you plan for it.

Don't intend to come on heavy here, just sharing a possibility that will probably never happen to most of us. Add this to your Defensive Situational Awareness training. Stuff happens and it's usually a no warning scenario. Otherwise you would have avoided it.

And finally, I'm not an expert on any of this... just a student.

Ride safe- it's a great hobby/sport,

G36pilot
Old 06-09-2004, 17:51   #17
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Point taken. Earlier post sounded as if someone were approaching the bike while I was away from it. And then, they can steal it; it's insured and I have everything on me.

And I have a Blast, so no touring for me! ;f

Glad to hear your friend was ok. It amazes me what some people do for 'fun'...

Laura

Old 06-09-2004, 18:35   #18
G36pilot

Agreed, situational awareness is for self protection. Insurance is for property. Priority One is stay safe. Rides and gear can be replaced... walk away. Given a choice, place any aggression in that 911 call.

Ride Safe & enjoy,

G36pilot
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01   #19
madhatta

I carry in a concealment vest. Has a velcro pocket on the inside of each side.
madhatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 14:15   #20
cmbutler

I carry a M23 in a Comp-tec IWB. It stays on me at all times. My jacket is a size larger than I need so I can keep it concealed.
cmbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 21:00   #21
TriggerRider
Premium Man

Very interesting 'methods' of concealment being posted here - please keep it up - my mind is 'racing' with the possibilities that I haven't considered !
Old 06-10-2004, 21:10   #22
ArmyCop

Send a message via AIM to ArmyCop
My method varies a little, most of the time my .40 Ruger in middle of my back - IWB.
Sometimes crossdraw.
Old 06-14-2004, 22:23   #23
Ralphumor
NRA Life Member

I ride a 85 Goldwing and 84 700 Shadow and Off duty 96 Kawasaki (I call it a KawaHawg) and I carry a fobus paddle with a G23. When I work off duty its out in the open with my badge and when Im riding and not workin its covered with a shirt or jacket. I would not like to leave it on the bike but agree its gonna hurt if I have to leave B4 I want to get off. ;a
Motto club #453
Iron Butt Assoc #25491
NRA Life Member
AMA Member 20 years
Ralphumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 18:06   #24
4eyes
Provocateur

Does everyone practice shooting left handed while on the bike? Because you sure can't control the bike while shooting right handed.

Ahh. Put the throttle on the left side, did you?
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 19:36   #25
Ralphumor
NRA Life Member

Thats a good pt....However..I have a throttle lock...
Motto club #453
Iron Butt Assoc #25491
NRA Life Member
AMA Member 20 years
Ralphumor is offline   Reply With Quote