Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2004, 21:21   #1
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Best time to buy used?

I'm looking to buy another bike, hopefully a Ducati Monster. I've noticed that the average price for a used model fluctuates throughout the year. I haven't been keeping track very carefully, though. When is the best time to buy? I was thinking late summer, when the season is nearly over and the new model year is out.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:04   #2
Glock30fan
Cmbt Tupperware

I think that the best time to buy a used bike would be in the winter. Most people who plan to sell a bike do so during the riding season to max out their profit (or minimize their loss, I should say). Alot of people selling in the winter probably did not plan on selling, and likely need the money. With fewer buyers in the winter, and more desperate sellers, prices should be less than later in the spring, when everybody goes crazy with spring fever. I sat on a bike I wanted to sell last fall, until May of this year to try to minimize my loss. The problem with buying in the winter is a much smaller selection.
Glock30fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:16   #3
jemontgomery
GEMINI

Send a message via Yahoo to jemontgomery
agree with glock30fan; wait til feb. in chicago (ice and snow) get your financing all arranged, better yet have cash. wear protective gear (the salesmen will be all over you)!
Old 06-07-2004, 15:59   #4
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Thanks for the replies. The rationale for winter does make sense. I'll be keeping a careful watch, if I can hold out that long. Every time I see a bike go by on a nice day, I have to fight off the urge to sell a kidney or worse yet, my G21 to get one. This'll be the second season without, wheelie withdrawal is NO FUN!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 20:07   #5
rbielak
PPD

Winter is typically best for buying used - folks looking to dump their ride so they don't have to worry about the hassle of winterization, storage, de-winterization, etc. Plus, they are stuck indoors and can't ride it.

If you live in a warm climate state, then it really doesn't matter much.

If you're buying NEW, the best time to buy is when you can pick up last year's model at thousands off the selling price because the NEW year's models have shown up and they want the old ones off the floor. Also, keep an eye out for incentive programs from the manufacturer, or even good financing deals -- but I suggest you go with financing from your OWN sources (e.g., credit union, etc.), and NOT the dealer/mfg.
Old 06-16-2004, 21:13   #6
Mark II

I bought my bike, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (new) in Jan 2003 for $4,100. 5 months later I noticed the same bikes with 5K mi on them going for 5K or better, Definitely winter Time.

Mark
Mark II is offline   Reply With Quote