Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2004, 22:56   #1
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Should I buy an ATI X800 Platinum Graphics Card? HELP PLEASE!

I love to game on my system. I have never been able to go top of the line with a graphics card either. Well, with the latest release from ATI, the X800 Platinum I may have to do it! But, I have some questions I would appreciate some help with. The card is AGP 8X which I know is backward compatible with my 4X board (a SONY VAIO 2.4 P4, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB WD with 8 meg cache). But, would I be wasting money not having the 8X AGP? If so WHAT card would you GT'ers recommend. Right now I'm playing Star Wars Galaxies, but I also like Nascar Thunder 2004, Max Payne 2 and other High Frame-Demanding games.

thanks everyone
RaiderRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:18   #2
gudel

you could be a nice used glock for that card
if i were you, i'd do something first on the mobo and cpu.
gudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 13:19   #3
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
My suggestion: get the card.

See if it makes much difference. If so, then you are happy.

If not, well, in a month or two buy a new MOBO combo, a mainboard with CPU installed and tested. Something like a 3.0C Pentium 4 in an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

Then you might need a different set of memory (if the new frontside bus is 800MHz, for instance) and probably a new power supply with a higher wattage rating.

You'll have a 1337 system in short order.

Good luck,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 16:58   #4
grenadier

Don't bother at this time.

The best bang / buck is the ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB card, which is an 8X AGP card that will work just fine for you, at under half the price of the x800-series.

By the time the Radeon 9800 Pro is considered too weak to run the standard game, the price in cards superior to the x800 will have dropped significantly as well.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:07   #5
Darkmage

I 2nd what Grenadier said. I just got my 9800 Pro a couple of weeks ago. Smooth, creamy UT2004 goodness!
Tech Forum #42
Glockers of the Old Dominion #42
Darkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:12   #6
Halo

I almost never buy the "top of the line" in anything, especially video cards. You can usually get the "second best" for significantly less money, and it's still quite capable for most software. One thing to remember, the game manufacturers are in the business to make money. If they release software so demanding that anything less than the latest-greatest-costliest hardware won't run it, they won't be in the business of selling games very long.

I run a 9600 XT. It is quite adequate for everything I've tried so far. When it has outlived its usefulness, I'll once again buy "whatever is one model below the latest, greatest."
Kalashnikov Club #545
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 13:15   #7
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Thanks for everyone's comments! Most all of you sound a lot like me, I always go one step under for a graphics card. I'm not sure what I'll do ;Q I did find some good numbers on testing of AGP 4X boards vs. 8X with the same cards and setups and the differences were very minimal!

thanks again,
Old 06-16-2004, 23:41   #8

I just upgraded my 9800 Pro to an X800 Pro and I cannot believe how much better the X800 performs - and the 9800 Pro performs great. If I were you and money wasn't a problem, then sure, get the X800 Pro or XT. But if you want to save some $$$$$, then the 9800XT's have come down in price and are still bloody fast.

Just for your info, to give you a performance idea.

I have a:

Pentium 4 2.8E "Scotty" @ 3.4GHz
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Sapphire X800 Pro 570/580
1GB Corsair TwinX PC4000
etc, etc, and my CPU is STILL holding back the X800 Pro. ;P
Old 06-17-2004, 01:12   #9
Dieseler
Temet nosce

Send a message via AIM to Dieseler
Personally I would grab a 9800Pro. The price is right and it'll be a good card for a very long time. Heck, my 9600Pro plays all games with nearly maxed details!

I think the x800 is a bit overkill for the rest of your system. You'd never pull the full potential out of the card.
Dieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 15:52   #10
Its The Truth

Yea, its overkill. 9800 pro is the highest Id go with that setup. When you get a new system, then look at a faster card. By then prices will be coming down.
Its The Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:54   #11
RBR

I have a ASUS GeForce FX 5200 (128ddr) right now that seems pretty weak (barely runs Halo). Would a Radeon 9800 pro make any real difference?
Old 06-19-2004, 14:09   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by RBR
I have a ASUS GeForce FX 5200 (128ddr) right now that seems pretty weak (barely runs Halo). Would a Radeon 9800 pro make any real difference?
Oh man, night and day. You will crap yourself at the improvement in not only performance, but image quality. There aren't many games out there yet that can slow down a 9800 Pro with AA and AF on. ;f

Also remember that Halo is CPU dependant. ;g
Old 07-05-2004, 00:21   #13
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Bit the bullet

Well,

I don't know if I made the right decision, but I ordered the X800Pro from BUY.COM. They sent me a coupon for 10% off any purchase. I got the card for about $385 shipped. I priced the 9800pro's and they were still at $289. I hated not to go ahead and get the new one. I hope my system doesn't hold it back too bad. Any tips on what I can do to speed it up or help it out would be appreciated. I will let everyone know how it does when I get it in! I can't wait ;N ;N ;N ;N

Anybody who wants to pre-order the X800 XT its on sale at bestbuy.com for $449. I know I couldn't run it with my system ;1
Old 07-06-2004, 22:39   #14
Darkmage

$289??? For a 9800 Pro? That's surprising. That must be the 256 MB version. I have a 128 MB version that was only about $210 w/shipping.

Oh well. Enjoy your card!
Tech Forum #42
Glockers of the Old Dominion #42
Darkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:36   #15
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Yeah, it was the 256mb version, it went down this week to $249 with free shipping at BUY.COM though :(
Old 07-09-2004, 16:20   #16
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
MoP--

Nice PC!

I am running a Prescott 2.8E also, with stock cooling and Arctic Silver Ceramique instead of that useless stock thermal pad, and it resides in a P4C800-E Deluxe, much like yours. You, sir, know how to build a decent gaming rig! Just remember, when OCing a Scotty, keep the voltage low! I have seen 'em OV and cook at only 1.6v...not good.

I use 1024MB (4X256) of Corsair PC3200LL TwinXMS, however, as I do not OC much, esp. not with the 'AI' our mainboard's BIOS likes to use. I can get to 3.4 with manual settings, but I have seen what can happen when you get a little carried away with ramping the voltages.

I run twin 120GB Maxtor Diamond 9's on the ATA133 RAID 0, and since that frees up the other four IDE channels, I use a Sony DVD/CD-RW in one, two CD-ROM 56X drives, and a Lite-On
DVD-/+RW in #4.

I don't suppose you are using a Thermaltake case? I use a Xaser III Skull series...supa-sweet. Do you run an Antec PSU? How about a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS sound card?! If so, this is almost spooky!!

This is, simply put, the best gaming PC I know of around this area. Even if I do have a Gainward "GS" 5900XT/1300 Ultra 256-bit 256MB nVivia card pushing 450 core/780 memory, I can best even the 256MB 9800Pro in a similar system due to the OC the ExperTool gives the card. It might, however, be due to the Prescott's better FPI ect. giving us better number - crunching abilities. The math capabilities of this core have whupped up on the 3.4EE and the Athlon 64 FX-53 in benchies, BTW.

I don't care, though...either way, I always get over 40FPS in Far Cry, so I'm happy!

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. To avoid being OT, I still say getting a new vid card for an older PC is better than using the old junker in a new platform...sometimes the newer graphics solution does wonders, meaning you might be able to get a few more months of use from the older box. And if it doesn't, at least you have one component for your new killa rig already!
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 21:52   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by fastvfr
MoP--

Nice PC!

I am running a Prescott 2.8E also, with stock cooling and Arctic Silver Ceramique instead of that useless stock thermal pad, and it resides in a P4C800-E Deluxe, much like yours. You, sir, know how to build a decent gaming rig! Just remember, when OCing a Scotty, keep the voltage low! I have seen 'em OV and cook at only 1.6v...not good.

I use 1024MB (4X256) of Corsair PC3200LL TwinXMS, however, as I do not OC much, esp. not with the 'AI' our mainboard's BIOS likes to use. I can get to 3.4 with manual settings, but I have seen what can happen when you get a little carried away with ramping the voltages.

I run twin 120GB Maxtor Diamond 9's on the ATA133 RAID 0, and since that frees up the other four IDE channels, I use a Sony DVD/CD-RW in one, two CD-ROM 56X drives, and a Lite-On
DVD-/+RW in #4.

I don't suppose you are using a Thermaltake case? I use a Xaser III Skull series...supa-sweet. Do you run an Antec PSU? How about a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS sound card?! If so, this is almost spooky!!

This is, simply put, the best gaming PC I know of around this area. Even if I do have a Gainward "GS" 5900XT/1300 Ultra 256-bit 256MB nVivia card pushing 450 core/780 memory, I can best even the 256MB 9800Pro in a similar system due to the OC the ExperTool gives the card. It might, however, be due to the Prescott's better FPI ect. giving us better number - crunching abilities. The math capabilities of this core have whupped up on the 3.4EE and the Athlon 64 FX-53 in benchies, BTW.

I don't care, though...either way, I always get over 40FPS in Far Cry, so I'm happy!

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. To avoid being OT, I still say getting a new vid card for an older PC is better than using the old junker in a new platform...sometimes the newer graphics solution does wonders, meaning you might be able to get a few more months of use from the older box. And if it doesn't, at least you have one component for your new killa rig already!
Hehehehehe.

Time to creep you out. I have a Thermaltake Damier Case (Almost identical to the Skull) and a Soundblaster Audigy 2. My PSU is the 480w Thermaltake Silent Power which they sent me to review. THey also sent me the case to review a while ago, and although it weighs one metric tonne, I really like it. I actually review for www.pcextreme.net

Here is my complete rig:

Pentium 4 2.8E "Scotty" @ 3.4GHz (1.55v Vcore) (bought)
Thermaltake Silent Tower CPU Cooler (reviewed and kept)
Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480w PSU (reviewed and kept)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (bought)
Sapphire X800 Pro 570/580 (bought)
1GB Corsair TwinX PC4000 (bought)
Thermaltake Damier Case (reviewed and kept)
Samsung 172X 17" 12ms LCD (reviewed and kept)
200GB Maxtor SATA HDD (bought)
LG 52x CD-RW/16x DVD drive (bought)
Pioneer A-05 4x DVD-RW (bought)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (bought)

I can't wait for Doom 3 and HL2, heh. Bring em on!

;b
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52   #18
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

GOT IT

Well, I canceled my Buy.com order since I called ATI and they said they probably wouldn't be shipping anymore out until mid to late Aug :( . I found a Sapphire X800 Pro on EBAY and ordered it and I must say my graphics are now mouth-watering ;f I love the card, and my system doesn't seem to hold it back at all, except on Benchmarks. That's ok, as long as I can see the difference, may try to get me a P4 3.06 processor a little later. ATITool has helped me over-clock a tad and I'm looking into doing the soft-mod to open the other 4 pipelines, then I will have an XT
Old 07-27-2004, 10:58   #19
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

Forgot to ask this! What kind of card cooler would you guys recommend? It gets up around 80C at times ;g
Old 07-27-2004, 21:54   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by RaiderRodney
Forgot to ask this! What kind of card cooler would you guys recommend? It gets up around 80C at times ;g
I have the Zalman ZM80-C HP heatpipe cooler on mine, and it dropped the temps 10C WITHOUT a fan. I only have the window fans blowing into the case and onto the cooler. If you go that route, pick up some Arctic Silver as it is better than the crap that is included with it.

It is somewhat of a messy pain to install since you have to use so much thermal compound, but the stock Sapphire cooler comes off in about 5 seconds. It's just three screws and can easily be reinstalled if you ever sell the card or have to RMA it.

It overclocks nicely with that cooler also. I get 570/570ish.

I tried the soft mod, flashing the BIOS, AND connection the bridges to open up the other 4 pipelines, but it didn't work. :(