Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2004, 14:41   #1
onemangang

Victory!

So what do you think about the "New American Motorcycle"?
I test rode a Kingpin recently and was really impressed. Nice ride. It did have a noticable whine to it but that was my only complaint.
Do you think Polaris/Victory will be here in the long run? I've heard they're releasing 2 bikes per year until '08(?.
I've wanted a HD inthe past but man, I hate the idea of passing myself on the highway!
IMHO, The Vegas and Kingpin are THE prettiest production cruisers out there.;a
onemangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:57   #2
rauchman

Greetings,

At the motorcycle show in NYC this past January, I really got a chance to see Victory's line up. I must say the Kingpin and Vegas are gorgeous motorcycles. Having said that, from what I have read, the Harley's still have them in actual quality of parts and build. By this I mean the Harleys barely have any plastic on them, while the metrics and Victory's do. I have to say the Vegas felt like it was built just for me. I found the ergos really nice. From what I've read the Kingpin actually handles better than the Vegas. Nice looking bikes for sure. And their engine is supposed to be comparitely very powerfull.
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 17:13   #3
Target Shooter
I'm Broke

Send a message via Yahoo to Target Shooter
Quote:
Originally posted by rauchman
Greetings,

At the motorcycle show in NYC this past January, I really got a chance to see Victory's line up. I must say the Kingpin and Vegas are gorgeous motorcycles. Having said that, from what I have read, the Harley's still have them in actual quality of parts and build. By this I mean the Harleys barely have any plastic on them, while the metrics and Victory's do. I have to say the Vegas felt like it was built just for me. I found the ergos really nice. From what I've read the Kingpin actually handles better than the Vegas. Nice looking bikes for sure. And their engine is supposed to be comparitely very powerfull.
Plastic? What are you talking about? I have a 1999 V-92c
All of my body parts and covers are made out of sheet metal not plastic. The only plastic that I can find is in my tail light lenses and turn signal lenses. I don't think those can be made out of steal.
Get your facts straight. Power wise it is a 92 CI 1507 cc V-twin engine. Plus It doesn't mark its teritory like a HD.

Last edited by Target Shooter; 01-26-2005 at 17:18..
Target Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 17:31   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The engine that Victory uses, is it a proprietary design or is it a clone of H-D V-twin, or are they using Japanese V-twin?

The Victories look really sweet, except that the names are kind of dumb. I guess they are having a Vegas-type or gambling-type naming theme?
Old 01-26-2005, 18:22   #5
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I am pretty sure it is thier own design. But, obviously it is meant to be "Harley-like". By that I mean it is an air-cooled 45 degree twin. That's about as far as my first hand knowledge of the Victory goes. Whether it is a single pin crank like the Harley (god, I hope not) and such, I am not sure. I hear LOTS of good things about them (like they actually make good power, unlike Harley excluding the V-Rod, but come on that ain't no Harley). I do like the fact they are an American motorcycle company, other than Harley obviously, that is actually making money and not losing it. I wish they would get some good engineers together and make a good sportbike (not some Buell wanna-be, maybe like an I-4 or hey an I-5 doesn't sound bad). They did a good job jumping into the sport quad market with the Predator. It's not perfect but it was a really good job for thier first attempt.

I also think the Victories look REALLY good, for a cruiser that is. I think Victries are only second to the Roadstar Warrior (sans butt-ugly exhaust) in the cruiser looks dept. Also I give them props for being the first bike company to sell a stock bike with a 240 rear tire. Now if only they can make a 17 in. version of that and put it on the next gen Hayabusa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 20:44   #6
norton

Victory has the power of the Polaris company behind them. I think its the reason the company has survived. Otherwise they might have gone the way of Excelsior Henderson and the New Indian.
The first year the Victory came out, I wasn't very impressed with it. Honestly it looked like something that might have been built in a skilled workmens garage. It simply didn't have the finish and fit of H.D.
That said, I think they have come a long way.
I was one of those people who thought Victory would give H.D. a run for their money when the bike first came out. It was at a time when Harley was selling out all of their inventory early in the model year. And the Victory was available.
I have talked to several guys who own Victory's and seem to like them.
I am not a fan of H.D.
But if I were going to plunk down mega bucks for a new cruiser, I would probably go with the Milwaukee bike. Just because it will always be easy to sell.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 21:35   #7
Target Shooter
I'm Broke

Send a message via Yahoo to Target Shooter
Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
The engine that Victory uses, is it a proprietary design or is it a clone of H-D V-twin, or are they using Japanese V-twin?

The Victories look really sweet, except that the names are kind of dumb. I guess they are having a Vegas-type or gambling-type naming theme?
On mine they were using the evo's. Nothing Japanesse or plastic about it.
Target Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:04   #8
rauchman

Greetings again,

Went to the 05 motorcycle show last weekend in NYC. I have fallen in love with the Victory Hammer. It is, without a doubt in my mind, the hottest factory production out there. 100 cu in motor, dual disc Brembo brakes, inverted fork, the first factory cruiser I know of that comes with a 6 speed tranny, and of course a 250mm rear tire. When sitting on it at the show it surprassed anything I've sat on for comfort. This will be my next bike!!!!! Go Victory. Oh yeah, my wife has fallen in love with the Arlen Ness Kingpin. Anybody have $40K laying around for 2 Victories???
Old 01-27-2005, 12:52   #9
Compy
CompensateWhat?

Arlen Ness did the styling for the Victory bikes. I think he did a pretty good job. From reading on their website, they don't seem to mention it at all. If it were up to me, I would be telling EVERYONE!

The motors are made by S&S, but I have no idea how close they are to the HD V-twins.

Victory seems to be pulling together and picking parts from some of the best aftermarket makers out there. If I were looking for a cruiser, Victory would get a really close look from me.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07   #10
quinch
Turgid Member

If they under-cut HD by 3-4K they would grab HUGE market share while staying in the black per unit.

Polaris a manufacturing focused group, a step away from the public. Too bad. They could easily grab big sales numbers. When or if they put effort into moving units, I'm buying a bike AND stock.
quinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:15   #11
rauchman

The motors are made by S&S, but I have no idea how close they are to the HD V-twins.

I think they use dual overhead cams. Not sure about that. I understand they put out more power than anything in a comparable size cc displacement from the factory.

If they under-cut HD by 3-4K they would grab HUGE market share while staying in the black per unit.

I may be wrong in this but while the Victory bikes are initially in the same price range as the HD, I think they come as a more finished product than the HD. I agree though, if they did make their prices a little cheaper they would take a big chunk of the market share.
Old 01-28-2005, 14:16   #12
Compy
CompensateWhat?

Quote:
Originally posted by quinch

Polaris a manufacturing focused group, a step away from the public. Too bad. They could easily grab big sales numbers. When or if they put effort into moving units, I'm buying a bike AND stock.
Undercutting the competition is not the only way to sell items. Victory makes a better product. They should and do charge for it, though not as much as I would expect. After a quick glance on their website they seem to range from $13k to $17k. About the same as a Harley.
Old 01-28-2005, 15:14   #13
Stephen
Hola!

I really like the Victory bikes as well. There's a dealer a block away from my office and I often drive by (slowly) to see what they have out.

I've not yet rode one but have seen a few in traffic. Definitely nice bikes.

FWIW my sis-in-law has a Polaris 4-wheeler and loves it... the engine is great and has had no issues at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"...I could talk about industrialization and men's fashions all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude..."
Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:56   #14
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

Sharp looking bikes.
Read all about them at
http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/victory/default.aspx
Old 02-02-2005, 20:33   #15
lethal tupperwa

Victorys

"Victory has NEVER used a harley clone engine or a Japanese engine. It has always been their own design. It is not exactly air cooled...it has an oil cooler the size of a small radiator and it holds 6 quarts. It's whine comes from it's gear drive primary. It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about them."

Answer is from a happy Victory owner

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 02-02-2005 at 21:03..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 00:27   #16
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Re: Victorys

Quote:
Originally posted by lethal tupperwa
"It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about them."
Like it's OUR fault they are a new company.

So it is an oil-cooled set up kind of like the old oil-cooled GSXRs (again held 6 quarts of oil and had a radiator sized oil-cooler). Tho oil-cooled GSXRs were known for being strong, reliable, and very powerful. Hopefully Victory will continue the trend.

Still wishing for a REAL american sportbike (as in more than 2 cyliders and can actually compete with the japanese). Come on Victory, build it and they will come.

epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote