Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2004, 18:49   #1
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Reverse Thrust

Peaches' other thread got me thinking about this. I've seen several aircraft that could back up on their own and been on a few too. If you've ever flown on an MD-80 there is a strong chance that you've backed away from the gate under your own power.

I've seen the Blue Angels support C-130 back up under its own power, and when I was watching Discovery Wings yesterday I saw the C-17 land, stop, back up, and turn around in about a 1500 foot space. That's pretty impressive for a plane that weighs over 250K pounds.

Also got to see video of the C-130 that had been modified for the Iran Hostages rescue mission. It had about 8 sets of JATO rockets at various points around the fuselage because it was designed to land WITHIN a sports stadium and take off again. There is some video of a prototype (crashing) using this system at:
http://www.theaviationzone.com/media...ible_sport.mpg

But I also saw some shots on Wings of another C-130 taking off using this system and they were airborne in about 100-150 feet. ;P

Ahhh... just found some details (don't you just love google?)
http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/artic...ible_Sport.htm

Here's a shot of it taking off:
The Flight Deck

Close up shot of some of the rockets near the front:
The Flight Deck

I'd like to know what the rate of climb was.
The Flight Deck

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 16:15   #2
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Anything with a thrust reverser (or reversible props) can back up under its own power, but there are three caveats:
1) Reverse thrust kicks up taxiway debris (FOD) which then could get sucked into the engine intake or strike the props (engines are mounted too high on a Mad Dog, this doesn't much apply).
2) A/C typically are loaded with their CG very far aft. Braking while moving backwards could cause the A/C to tip over and crash down onto its tail (so coast to a stop).
3) Most airplanes have no rear view mirrors so it’s best to have clearance from someone who can see where you’re going (ground control).

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 15:16   #3
STYX

Send a message via ICQ to STYX Send a message via AIM to STYX
2) A/C typically are loaded with their CG very far aft. Braking while moving backwards could cause the A/C to tip over and crash down onto its tail (so coast to a stop).

hehe... a tail strike from breaking, horrible to explain that one to the chief pilot.

I recall doing a reverse taxi-back @ memphis, are they still done?
Old 07-06-2004, 16:23   #4
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STYX
...I recall doing a reverse taxi-back @ memphis, are they still done?
I dunno, I've never worked from MEM. Does something wonky go on there?

When I was with American Eagle (early ‘90s), we had a SAAB experience a tail strike coming in to BNA. The plane had flown in to Ft. Walton/ Eglin AFB full of Air Force types with duffel bags. The station manager failed to remove 11 of their bags from the aftermost cargo area, so the 25,000 pound A/C was 1000+/- pounds heavier (that's 1000 pounds tail heavier) on their return flight to BNA than the crew realized. The flying pilot got a stick shaker on round-out and the A/C mushed through and sort of backwards pancaked, hitting simultaneously on the mains and the keel. They executed a go-around and shot the second approach at Vref +30 (basically a flap approach at a no-flap speed). The second shot was letter-perfect but the Captain needed a whole pack of smokes before he was calm enough for his drug test.

The VPS station manager was fired, as he well should have been.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 20:27   #5
STYX

Send a message via ICQ to STYX Send a message via AIM to STYX
hehe... wow.

Yea, I really like the slabber-dog. I only have ~5 hrs in the Eagle sim, but I enjoyed it.
Old 07-11-2004, 00:53   #6
Superfueler
Glockenplane

Send a message via Yahoo to Superfueler
Until recently, pretty much all of AirTran's aircraft powered back from the gate using reverse thrust. I was on board a few times when this was done, and doesn't feel that much different than a normal pushback. I guess now that they are getting 737's, they are going to the normal method of using a tug and a towbar.
Aviation Forum #1903
Superfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34   #7
M2 Carbine

I backed up all the time.

Sorry, nobody likes a smartass.;e

;f ;f

The Flight Deck
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:44   #8
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

<----flying on 4 MD-80's starting tomorrow and then again on 7/19/04........

dayum things are packed too and I hate that!! I had no clue they could back away from the gate on their own.......
Old 07-13-2004, 10:28   #9
Superfueler
Glockenplane

Send a message via Yahoo to Superfueler
Quote:
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
flying on 4 MD-80's starting tomorrow and then again on 7/19/04........
Wow, what is your routing to fly on 4 Mad Dog's in a row?
Aviation Forum #1903
Superfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 21:55   #10
Pat Beckley

Reference backing up with reverse thrust: It is done with feet on the floor. Forward thrust is used to "brake" the backward movement. Any use of brakes would result in a tail strike, frowned upon by the maintenance department.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:12   #11
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Yep Our Marine Corps KC-130's would only back up in rare circumstances.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote