SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2004, 18:42   #1
Smiles007

Send a message via AIM to Smiles007
World War II's forgotten theater

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I will start here anyway. The recent celebration of D-Day along with my desire to wear my grandfather's dog tag has gotten me thinking about this. I know that the D-Day invasion was the largest amphibious assault in history and marked the beginning of the end for Germany, so D-Day and Normandy are significant in an enormous way.

However, what about places like Guadacanal(sp), Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, the Solomons, Bataan, Corregidor, and the other islands/battles of the Pacific theater which led to the destruction of the empire responsible for Pearl Harbor? Where is the recognition for all the members of the Pacific war? I know there is a day to celebrate the end of the pacific war just as there is a day to celebrate the end of the European war. However it seems to me that day is more focused on whether or not we should have dropped "the bomb" and less on the fallen of that theater.

Does the Pacific have it's day? If so, when? If not, why not?
;l
Big Dawg #657
Niner's Club 48
Smiles007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 20:19   #2
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor during the 50th annivarsary of the VJD (victory in japan day). There was quite the celebration and it was great to see and spend time with all of the vets who were there. I also got to see Bob Hope and one of the Andrew Sisters.

Before that I was stationed in Sasebo, Japan and traveled all over south east asia. During one of my last trips we stopped in Indoneasia and New Guiena to clean up and paint some WWII memorials. Though this never made news back in the states it meant alot to me. My grandfather and uncle were stationed in New Guiena with General McArthur and my uncle was kia there. After leaving there we hit PI and I got visit my uncles grave, the only member in my family to ever do so.

I wish there were more celebrated anniversaries for the pacific theather, so people will not forget and also to give respect and honor where it's due.

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 22:20   #3
CarlosDJackal

I disagree about the Pacific being the forgotten theater. Our struggle against the Japanese is immortalized by such memorial as the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA and the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, HI.

The true forgotten theater is the Aleutians Islands. Our soldiers' efforts to drive the Japanese out of what is basically American soil (after we bought it from the Russians) has been lost in history.

If you look at most history books, even from the 60s and 70s, there is barely any mention of the struggle against the elements our Soldiers and Aircrews faced. There is hardly any mention of how under equipped these brave sould were specially against the elements.

People do not seem to realize that hundreds of Soldiers and Aircrews actually lost their lives in that theater. These men are just as much heroes as those who fought in the Pacific or Europe.

But I suspect that just like most Combat Veterans of their generation, these brave men really do not care if they receive any recognition for their efforts.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 14:09   #4
Nestor
Lean & Mean

We all were in Army, but if you want to take a look at ordinary people forgotten fight : http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=254089

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 13:26   #5
Smiles007

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDJackal
I disagree about the Pacific being the forgotten theater. Our struggle against the Japanese is immortalized by such memorial as the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA and the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, HI.

The true forgotten theater is the Aleutians Islands. Our soldiers' efforts to drive the Japanese out of what is basically American soil (after we bought it from the Russians) has been lost in history.

If you look at most history books, even from the 60s and 70s, there is barely any mention of the struggle against the elements our Soldiers and Aircrews faced. There is hardly any mention of how under equipped these brave sould were specially against the elements.

People do not seem to realize that hundreds of Soldiers and Aircrews actually lost their lives in that theater. These men are just as much heroes as those who fought in the Pacific or Europe.

But I suspect that just like most Combat Veterans of their generation, these brave men really do not care if they receive any recognition for their efforts.
^6 The more I think about it, the more I agree with your entire post. I fired off my "rant" without putting as much thought into it as I should have, especially considering the topic. For that I apologize. December 7 has become to the Pacific what June 6 has become for Europe. As far as the last sentence, I know that you are right. However, as Scott mentioned, I just want to give honor and respect where it is due.
Big Dawg #657
Niner's Club 48
Old 06-14-2004, 15:19   #6
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiles007
^6 The more I think about it, the more I agree with your entire post. I fired off my "rant" without putting as much thought into it as I should have, especially considering the topic. For that I apologize. December 7 has become to the Pacific what June 6 has become for Europe. As far as the last sentence, I know that you are right. However, as Scott mentioned, I just want to give honor and respect where it is due.
There is a special Pacific War Museum in Texas (Fredericksburg) ;?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/nimitz/

Old 06-14-2004, 15:26   #7
engineer151515

I'd put Peleliu on that list too.

Veteran's Forum

Veteran's Forum

Last edited by engineer151515; 06-14-2004 at 15:37..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 17:57   #8
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by engineer151515
I'd put Peleliu on that list too.
The images tell much, engineer151515.

Y'all should go read the reports of the battles....

http://www.peleliu.net/

;?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 18:03   #9
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by Nestor
There is a special Pacific War Museum in Texas (Fredericksburg) ;?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/nimitz/
Nestor, like most who "adopt" America, when you and your family do arrive, you'll probably know more about this country than 90% of those born here.

Proud of you!!!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 22:17   #10
Smiles007

Nestor, thanks for the link. I am definitely going to have to check out that museum.
Big Dawg #657
Niner's Club 48
Old 06-15-2004, 13:16   #11
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally posted by RussP
Nestor, like most who "adopt" America, when you and your family do arrive, you'll probably know more about this country than 90% of those born here.

Proud of you!!!!
I belive that people without knowledge about homeland's history are like trees without roots. If we will make a move I will teach my children as much about history of USA as I can (and Poland too ). Thank you friend. Adam

Old 06-15-2004, 13:17   #12
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiles007
Nestor, thanks for the link. I am definitely going to have to check out that museum.
You're welcome friend, I hope I will see this museum too.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:57   #13
CarlosDJackal

Quote:
Originally posted by engineer151515
I'd put Peleliu on that list too.1
I thought Peleliu was part of the Pacific Theater? Or is my geography waaay off?
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 15:54   #14
TheBelly

forgotten units

http://www.99thinfbnsep.org/

99th Infantry Batallion - Para-Ski troops. Nothing quite like jumping out of a plane to PLF with skis on your feet, just to slide down the hill to shoot some Nazis,

OR

(my grandfather's unit)

OSS Norso Special Forces. We have a video set of him telling some war stories. Not the happiest of times for him, barely an American citizen at the time. Until the day he died he was never sorry, nor did he regret serving his new country.

This We'll Defend!

So 'true'. Nothing 'false' with a dog.
Either they love you, or they can't stand you.
RIP Lilly
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote