Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-21-2004, 18:27   #1
Eye Cutter

Awesome Concepts At the BE Forum

It's been a while since I've had a chance to read the posts over at the Brian Enos Forum.

These forums contain a treasure trove of information for newbies to GM's regarding training drills, mental preparations, concepts and skills development.

Problem is, there's so much good info there, you don't know where to start reading!

Here are some of my favorites...

Quote:
Deliberateness is the source economy of motion, efficiency is the result. Think about it. Why or how do the top guys shoot good points, quickly? If your pistol just waves or wanders toward a target in general, it will not land on a specific location on that target decisively. You must train yourself to see ahead of the gun. You drive the gun with your eyes. Especially with iron sights, your focal plane must be continuously moving, continuously shifting, for this to happen. But for your focus to decisively snap to a precise spot on the next target, your eyes must have seen and your mind must have known exactly what happened on the previous target. When this occurs, you have unlocked the door to quick, precise transitions.
The two activities of calling and acquiring eventually must blend together - harmoniously, simultaneously, almost effortlessly guiding the action.

be
Eye Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 18:37   #2
Eye Cutter

Quote:
Regardless of shot difficulty or speed, knowing precisely where the bullet went before it arrived is the key that unlocks all aspects of successful shooting. And as no two shots fired are ever the same, shooting demands the discipline of continuous learning.
be
Old 06-22-2004, 00:49   #3
mikey177
Remember

Re: Awesome Concepts At the BE Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
But for your focus to decisively snap to a precise spot on the next target, your eyes must have seen and your mind must have known exactly what happened on the previous target. When this occurs, you have unlocked the door to quick, precise transitions.
Doc,

Is BE talking about follow through and calling your shots in these statements, or something more advanced?
mikey177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23   #4
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

This is also one of my favorites, and it comes from our very own MC_OLIVER, posted at the mental threads

When we look at something, we take it for granted (..well, I do) that what we are looking is the correct image. Sometimes, given enough time, we realize there is more to the image than what we had previously assumed. Okay I'll give it a term "visual preconceptions."

Let's take for example a target with a narrow A-zone bordered by no-shoots. I don't know about you guys but everytime I put the sights on target, I don't want any whites near my sight pic. And I've always settled for c-shots in these cases. Lately, I'm trying to program myself that I still have a safe and correct sight pic even when there's white at the edge of my rear sight.

Or take recoil for example. I've always wondered why a spring or load change takes some "getting used to" visually. I realized I was expecting the gun to recoil "this way" but I no longer "see" it because it has already changed. So now I need to know how it's supposed to look like recoiling before I can successfully track it through it's new recoil cycle.

Or that very low port that requires you to crouch short of going prone. These times I see the top of the slide yet I still manage to hit targets with this sight pic. It's because I know I've seen this sight pic before, and I know when I see this it's enough to get a hit (most of the time .)

With high-speed shooting, for me, the difficulty becomes apparent when I'm presented with weird target arrays I have never shot before. It's probably because I have yet to experience the visual input necessary to guarantee I get good hits. And do so while taking less and less time processing what I see.

One thing I learned, though, is that dry fire is one good way to train my eyes to know what I should be looking at. Duh?

Sorry for the long post and I hope I made sense.
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:47   #5
Eye Cutter

that's what so spooky about BE's concepts! I guess it boil's down to focus and seeing what you need to see. It's hard to explain until you can do it yourself. You get to understand what he's saying only when you experience those concepts for yourself and you seem to shoot in a slow motion fashion.

It's a state of being aware of everything that happened, what's happening, and what you want to do next! The past, present and future gets muddled up that it's one continuous slow motion blur!
Old 06-25-2004, 17:55   #6
4eyes
Provocateur

Confidence to know that you can, relaxation, and aggressive attitude to "DO".
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 21:08   #7
mc_oliver

Here's a new posting by BE on blinking

The most difficult instant to see the sights lift is during slow, aimed fire.
The easiest is during rhythmic fire, when you're not trying to hit anything in particular. Just casually watching....
You don't have to be looking right at the sights to see them lift. Actually it's probably easier if you aren't.
If you don't see the sights lifting and returning, you're probably blinking.
IMO it's valuable to know whether you're blinking or not without depending on seeing your sights lift or not.
When you first try to know this it helps to have a friend confirm whether or not your blinking by looking at your eyes while you shoot. But eventually you'll want to know this for sure by yourself.
With a friend watching, fire a magful of rounds at a slow cadence and see if you can confirm whether you are blinking with your friend. Without exception, everyone I've worked with on this cannot tell, at first. You have to learn to tell if you are blinking by yourself.
While repeating the experiment, shift 98% of your attention to your aiming eye and your facial area surrounding your eye (leaving a trace of your attention to simply watching the site's activity. This is not easy to do because we never do it. We're always casting our attention out, often straining to see the targets, holes, or even the sights. Keep repeating this until you become comfortable firing with absolutely no concern over where the bullets are going. At this point you should be close to knowing what it feels like to be aware of your face and eye while you are firing. If you keep practicing this awareness excercise - begin and end each training session with it - after some time you'll become sensitive to whether you're blinking on your own. This is vital for progress. You must learn to calmly see everything that is happening even though firecrackers are continuously exploding right in front of your face.

[number 2]
Yea, the blinking problem is a tough one, but it can be beaten if you apply yourself properly.
The longer blinking has gone on unnoticed, the harder you may have to work to correct it.
First, definitely use all the ear protection you can deal with.
It's good to realize that it is a natural/normal reaction to blink, because, shooting a pistol is not much different than having a firecracker go off in front of your face every time you pull the trigger. So don't make it bad. The usual approach, when we label something as bad or undesirable, is to want "get rid of it." This usually just makes the problem worse. Instead of wanting to eliminate it, just LOOK at the problem - become aware of what is REALLY going on. That's why on the tape I talked about shifting your attention to the your face, eyes, or the area around your eyes when you are shooting. This moves your attention into an area you were previously unaware of. (This is the most powerful tool we possess to permanently change behavior.) Now at this point, the important thing is to NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTROL what is happening. Instead, just place ALL your attention in your face while firing into the backstop at nothing in particular and notice whether or not you are blinking. Just notice what your eyes/face are actually doing as you fire shots. (In the beginning it helps to have a friend confirm if you’re blinking or not.) Shoot slowly for awhile, then at a medium speed, and then more quickly, paying attention to what your eye/face is doing at various shooting speeds. Then place 9/10 of your attention in your face (leaving the other 1/10 to aim) while doing the same thing shooting groups on a target.
You yourself must know if you are blinking before your body will make the necessary adjustments. Your body will correct its activity BASED SIMPLY ON YOUR CLEAR INTENT TO CALL THE SHOT. (Which implies that your eye remain open through the shot cycle.) With experience you will learn to relaxedly just look right at the sights during the firing cycle. But again, it’s not natural so you must cultivate it.
I’ve also found it helps to consciously open the eyes a little wider than normal, like if you noticed something interested and wanted to look more closely at it. Even disregarding the blinking factor, I see better/more when opening the aiming eye just short of the “deer in the headlights” look.
Start your practice sessions with a few slow fire accuracy drills, monitoring for blinking, and then do the same to end your day’s practice. That’s good stuff.
Again – you must learn to know for certain whether you are blinking or not. Once you’ve learned to know whether or not you’re blinking, the problem is just about whipped.
Even after shooting/competing for 20 + years, I’ve noticed, if I haven’t been to the range in awhile, I may blink a little for the first shots. Always pay attention.
be
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 21:15   #8
mc_oliver

Re: Re: Awesome Concepts At the BE Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey177
Doc,

Is BE talking about follow through and calling your shots in these statements, or something more advanced?
Mikey, yung concept nila on follow through is an advanced type. Unlike the kind of follow through we get to hear a lot where you hold the gun steady for a while after the shot, sa kanya hindi. He advocates learning to see the gun through it's recoil arc. It's when you learn to see how the sights looked like before it jumped that you already know where the bullet will hit. Seeing this, you no longer have to wait for the gun to settle back on target. You can actually start moving the gun while it's still recoiling because you've already confirmed your hit in the initial phase of the recoil cycle.

Totally unheard of concepts na minsan itanong mo sa ibang shooters dito, they give you back a blank look. That's also one reason gusto ko mag shift muna to a dot kahit hindi open baril ko. I'm hoping I can train my eyes to observe the little things the dot does that we take for granted sa iron sights.

Also, the first hurdle to be able to do this is to know if your blinking or not during firing.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:13   #9
Eye Cutter

mc_o: madali ma-cure yang blinking. pahiramin kita ng eyelid speculum para hindi ka mag blink! ikakabit mo when you're already on the firing line! ;K

Band of Glockers

Last edited by Eye Cutter; 06-26-2004 at 07:46..
Old 06-26-2004, 08:39   #10
Allegra

Re: Re: Re: Awesome Concepts At the BE Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Mikey, yung concept nila on follow through is an advanced type. Unlike the kind of follow through we get to hear a lot where you hold the gun steady for a while after the shot, sa kanya hindi. He advocates learning to see the gun through it's recoil arc. It's when you learn to see how the sights looked like before it jumped that you already know where the bullet will hit. Seeing this, you no longer have to wait for the gun to settle back on target. You can actually start moving the gun while it's still recoiling because you've already confirmed your hit in the initial phase of the recoil cycle.

Totally unheard of concepts na minsan itanong mo sa ibang shooters dito, they give you back a blank look. That's also one reason gusto ko mag shift muna to a dot kahit hindi open baril ko. I'm hoping I can train my eyes to observe the little things the dot does that we take for granted sa iron sights.

Also, the first hurdle to be able to do this is to know if your blinking or not during firing.
alam mo fafa oliver, sinubokan ko na lahat yan eh
Muntik na masira ulo ko kahahanap
If you "try " to look for it, lalo mahihirapan hanapin. Naks
I just went back to the basics. See the target, lagay sights sa target etc.
And I just pratcticed and I practiced some more.
Soon, SYET, nakikita ko na nga dapat ko makita! Tama nga si fafa BE!
Thats why, naintindihan ko lang libro nya nung mejo advanced na shooting ko. Naks ulit
In short, wag mo hanapin, dadating yan
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:12   #11
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
mc_o: madali ma-cure yang blinking. pahiramin kita ng eyelid speculum para hindi ka mag blink! ikakabit mo when you're already on the firing line! ;K

Band of Glockers
or this
Band of Glockers
along with some topical oxybuprocaine(anaesthetic) ;f Dyok onli;f
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 00:52   #12
mc_oliver

Mga docs, I'm at a loss for words! ;z ;z

Master A, oo nga eh. Practis lang naman talaga katapat nito. Pero ang 'di ko maintindihan bakit masarap pa rin hanapin yung sagot sa equipment. Tulad nung magic load na hanggang ngayon hinahanap ko pa rin. ;f
Old 06-27-2004, 03:01   #13
Eye Cutter

Yeah, equipment need not cost you an arm and a leg. But it must be functional and tailor fit to your style of shooting. Most important, it must work 100%. That's one less variable to worry about and you get to focus on the shooting and not think if the equipment will breakdown or not!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58   #14
jasonub

on the varilla cup something weird happened. i shot like i was shooting an open gun. i was looking at the target and the a's appear before my eyes. i forgot what be said about this type of shooting. i was so engrossed at the incredible sight of putting 2 a's one after the other, that i also did it on the 12-15 meter target and swinger at that. so stupid i got an alpha mike and another alpha mike. i reengaged the last but not the first.

now i dont know what stage im at again. i now have to will to see a type 2 focus again:( :( (both sights and target are blurred)
jasonub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:19   #15
Eye Cutter

yeah, sometimes you have to slow down to process all the visual input properly to get good hits!

an example here is when you experience a jam and you try to make up for lost time after clearing it and your gameplan goes down the drain that you start to pile up mistakes instead.

rather than try to go faster, its better to slow down and get good hits instead!
Old 06-27-2004, 21:28   #16
jasonub

well the results got in i screwed up major. it seems that its slow to make sure of an a. after analyzing my shooting, i now remember that i shoot at the target and then look at it if there are 2 a's, if not i shoot again:(

as brian said you have to trust what you did and move on.
jasonub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 22:46   #17
Eye Cutter

...lalo ka mabagal if you start verifying your hits all the time. pag kalabit, alam na kung saan tatama yung shot na yun (calling your shots).

otherwise, pigil ang putok, matagal ang pauses and transitions between targets also slow down...
Old 06-27-2004, 22:53   #18
Eye Cutter

the time i verify shots is when i didn't see or i was not sure where the front sights were when i pulled the trigger. madalas mangyari yan. specially when our eyes move on to the next target even before sigurado ka na sa last shot!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20   #19
Allegra

Quote:
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Mga docs, I'm at a loss for words! ;z ;z

Master A, oo nga eh. Practis lang naman talaga katapat nito. Pero ang 'di ko maintindihan bakit masarap pa rin hanapin yung sagot sa equipment. Tulad nung magic load na hanggang ngayon hinahanap ko pa rin. ;f

Pareho lang tayo ng problema
bili ako ng bili ng bagong bike parts kahit parati ako talo sa mga siklistang sa uniwide lang binili ang bisikleta.
kahit I klnow the answer is " just ride "
Old 06-28-2004, 08:31   #20
Allegra

Quote:
...lalo ka mabagal if you start verifying your hits all the time. pag kalabit, alam na kung saan tatama yung shot na yun (calling your shots).

otherwise, pigil ang putok, matagal ang pauses and transitions between targets also slow down...

Kaya nagiging pigil, kasi may tension
Pimipilit mo mag A ( naninigurado ), takot ka mag miss or d, match pressure, tinatrashtalk ka ng kalaban etc.
Habang tumatagal, lalo na tumataas tension, at lalo na bumabagal
easier said than done pero you got to step back and relax
To "see" faster, dapat navisualize mo na beforehand lahat ng dapat mo makita sa stage na yun