SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2004, 21:49   #1
ARGlock

Gun Suggestion for Mom

Hey Ladies,

This is ARGlock/ Clay from Arkansas. I'm interested in knowing what are your favorite concealed carry guns? The reason I'm asking, is I am about to purchase my mom who has recently turned 70 a new CCW gun. She has plenty of firearm experience so this is not a problem. I am just concerned about the strength in her hands to be able to pull back a slide. She really has a tough time pulling on my G22 so I'm thinking of maybe a revolver. Maybe a .357 but load it with 38's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just curious what you ladies would suggest.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Take Care and Happy Shooting!!!

Clay ---- ARGlock
ARGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 22:58   #2
tinagrrl

Personally I like the G27 with a 357Sig barrel. It is hard to pull back the slide, so it might not be right for your Mom.

How about the G26 or G19?

If talking about revolvers, S&W Ladysmith in 38 Spl. might just do the trick. It's very highly recommended.

I have an old Ruger Security Six in .357 Mag as a nightstand gun. If I'm awakened late at night, I don't have to remember anything -- just pull the trigger.

It is just too bulky for CCW as far as I'm concerned, but as they say, YMMV.
tinagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:03   #3
c-mama

I don't carry, yet, but this is my beaut:
Women's Issues

Smith & Wesson 65LS 3" barrel. It shoots .357 mag and .38 spl.

I love it!
c-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:17   #4
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

i got the g26 for mother's day and i love it. i'm definately not the strongest person and didn't have a problem racking the slide. actually, now that i've been shooting it, i really think nothing of it.

as for revolvers, i'm not crazy about them. i had a bad experience with a rented snubbie (it was the first time i ever fired a handgun) and it really turned me off to them. maybe someday i'll try a revolver again, but for now, it's the g26 for me.

ps i don't carry yet either but i got this gun with the intent of ccw.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick www.homefree1996.com.
Proud parent of a Young Marine. www.glcyoungmarines.org
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Vicki Farnham suggests that you ask her and let her try out a whole bunch of guns.

What does she say?

As a suggestion, some folks like the Beretta 380s with the tip up barrel for a semi that is easy to use.
NTI, TSRA, NRA,IDPA Niner #2001 Black Rifle AR-101 Wheelie 442642 L'star 101 J Snub 432http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...05_Feature.htm
Being an Academic Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Glenn E. Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 13:27   #6
Vic303

Buy her whatever pistol she likes, or a 20" barrelled, 20ga shotgun... but for simplicity sake, I'd suggest a revolver of some sort of at least .357 (load 38+P). I'm partial to Ruger GP100's...
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 21:11   #7
Mrs. VR
Administrator

a little off topic, but interesting...it sounds like a fair number of you ladies prefer revolvers. I enjoy shooting my G17, but as far as accuracy, I am WAY better with the revolver, does anyone else find this to be the case?

ps- since I live in MD, and cant carry,I cant answer the original question, but my 67 year old mom has shot the .357 with the .38 ammo with no trouble, and she has arthritis in her hands. I don't remember if she tried any of the other guns, sorry!
Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 14:59   #8
Melissa Ann

I would suggest taking your mom to a range that rents guns and letting her try a few out. Slides can be tough to work. But then so can 6-pound DA trigger pulls on revolvers. And everyone's hands are different. Would she prefer smooth stocks? Would checkering be easier to grab hold of? Would checkering cut up her delicate skin? Maybe she'd like the rubber grips....

I would recommend trying a 9mm Glock - they're lightweight, easy to use, easy to maintain, hard to break or screw up.

Try a revolver - I'm not real familiar with the various types out there. A .357 is going to be loud and kick - but shooting 38s out of it is a nice deal. My boyfriend does that - he's got arthritis pretty bad.

Personally, I use a 1911, but it's heavy.

I would also go with at least a 9mm or 38special. Personal opinion.

But let her actually pick it out. It'll save you both some frustration.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Melissa

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." -Morihei Ueshiba
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:37   #9
Vic303

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
a little off topic, but interesting...it sounds like a fair number of you ladies prefer revolvers. I enjoy shooting my G17, but as far as accuracy, I am WAY better with the revolver, does anyone else find this to be the case?

ps- since I live in MD, and cant carry,I cant answer the original question, but my 67 year old mom has shot the .357 with the .38 ammo with no trouble, and she has arthritis in her hands. I don't remember if she tried any of the other guns, sorry!
I can't say I 'prefer' a wheelgun over my 1911's, but there's a time & place for a wheelgun in every shooter's collection. They're simple. Tough to break or jam. Easy to use. I would agree in SA mode my Ruger GP & I are more accurate, but that is probably due to good fit, and less motion inherent in the pistol. (no slide motion). But my preferred carry pistol is a Kimber Ultra CDP.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:53   #10
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Revolvers

I have an old POS (piece of *****) 22 revolver my dad bought in 1965 for about $25. I can really nail someone with it but I think it is in part because of the barrel length. It is easy to use and clean.

I also own a Colt .380 Pocketlite. It has been reworked but the trigger pull is just too much for me (I've heard it has 12 pounds of pressure on the trigger) and I just bought a Glock19, which I just love and it is breezy easy to use. A little tight right now, but it will loosen up.
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:38   #11
Melissa Ann

Quote:
(on revolvers, they are...) Tough to break or jam.
True, but when they break, they break BAD. My boyfriend has a passion for revolvers and I love watching him shoot them. He's got several. And in the last 12 months, 4 of them have found themselves out of commission. ;P 3 are at Smith & Wesson right now getting worked on. He shoots so much, he apparently just plain ole wore em out. (1 was bad gunsmithing, but the other 3 are just worn out.)

SouthernGal - the Glock will loosen up - lots of dryfiring and practice. Fun guns.

Take care

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." -Morihei Ueshiba
Old 06-23-2004, 12:46   #12
Vic303

Quote:
True, but when they break, they break BAD.
Yeah, if you manage to jam up the cylinder it's a pain, but I've never managed, even with my ancient .22 H&R 9shot. Sorry to hear your SO has had such problems with his S&W's...maybe he should by Rugers?;f (I had to say that...really!)

But considering the original poster wants this firearm for his 70yr old mother, I doubt she will be shooting it SO much as to wear out any pistol. If I'm wrong, more power to her! (You GO Girl!)

However you have to admit the manual of arms for a wheelgun is far simpler than that of ANY semi-auto.

Either way, as long as the Mom is comfortable with her choice of pistol, and can get some practice, that is what is really important.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:59   #13
Melissa Ann

Quote:
But considering the original poster wants this firearm for his 70yr old mother, I doubt she will be shooting it SO much as to wear out any pistol. If I'm wrong, more power to her!
D-oh! I forgot the original question. my bad. ;g

FWIW, boyfriend puts maybe 10-20thousand rounds thru the pistol he's shooting that year (some years it's his Glock, some years it's the revolvers). So, it's not hard to imagine how they wore out. IIRC, he actually looked at a Ruger, and thought the trigger was too different from the Smiths he's been shooting all these years. He's got a nifty little Taurus he took outta the safe last night. Nice little gun.

Old 06-23-2004, 18:27   #14
Vic303

Wow! 10-20K per pistol per year?! I'm impressed! No wonder he wears stuff out! I used to have the time & $ to shoot that much, but then kidlets came along & I get to be at home with them, so there went the shooting time & budget, but then again I do get to experience the joys of watching my daughter try to jam baby carrots up her nose, and make her breakfast cereal in the dogs' water dish (dumped a whole box of cereal into the dish too...& was merrily eating from it when I caught up with her!) I didn't get pics of the dogwater dish incident, but I did of the carrots in the nose from the other night!