Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:07   #1
FURocious

Maxed out the MGIB

The lovely state of Illinois paid my tuition 100% and the MGIB gave me appx $27,000 tax free over 4 years. Graduated with honors with a Criminal Justice degree from Illinois State University last May. Called the VA office yesterday to inquire about my remaining months of benefits I thought I could use for the police academy, and they told me I had "Zero" months remianing for benefits. The VA rep congratulated me for maxing out my benefits.

That got me thinking about the enormous pot of money set aside for vets which goes mostly unused.

Moral of the post, USE YOUR BENEFITS BROTHERS!
Old 07-03-2004, 09:26   #2
johnny5bravo

First off, Congratulations!!! I am thinking of getting out Jan 2006 with 9 1/2 years of service. How and/or why did the state of Illinois pay 100% of your tuition?
johnny5bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:24   #3
FURocious

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny5bravo
First off, Congratulations!!! I am thinking of getting out Jan 2006 with 9 1/2 years of service. How and/or why did the state of Illinois pay 100% of your tuition?
If an Illinois resident(for 6 months before enlistment) enlists in the armed services for more than 180 days and then returns to the state of Illinois within 6 months after discharge they are granted the Illinois Veterans Grant. The state does not hide this at all, they give it to a service member outright and with no hassle.
Old 07-05-2004, 23:38   #4
Bonk

I used up all of it except about two and a half months' worth. I think I'm past the time limit to use the rest of it, having gone in in 1990.

Plenty of guys never touched a dime of it. Sad.
Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 14:48   #5
usmcmonty
100% American

I've used several months of it so far and starting next month will be dipping into it again.

Studying the same thing as you FURocious. However, I plan to get my degree and re-enlist. The thought of having a degree to fall back on is nice but the current climate in LE is not one I wish to enter.
usmcmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:07   #6
Wildebeest

Another moral to the story...

Is to check out your STATE Veteran's benefits on top of the Federal ones. Many state veteran's benefit programs are not as well publicized as Illinois. You earned 'em, go get 'em.
Big Dawg #1354
Sub Club #1354
Carolina Glocker #22
.40 S&W Club #354
Wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 21:53   #7
jwalk2515

Re: Maxed out the MGIB

Good job.

I am going back this fall to University of North Texas to spend some more of that money as well. Mine expires in 06, when its gone, Texas will pay mine as well due to the Hazelwood Act. I'm changing from I.T. to Political Science, hopefully law school when the time comes.

Semper Fi
Lone Star Glocker #36, Top Guns 357sig #47, Sub Club #2515, Big Dawg #2515
USMC 1988-1996 Sgt, 2515
US ARNG 2004-Present SSg 11B/ 12H
jwalk2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 21:10   #8
MR. Fantastic

Outstanding, I will start my 9th month of eligibility in August and I'm going for criminal justice as well. It's nice to know I have 27 more months of benifits comming but it is also a drag knowing I still have so long before I'm done with school. Well a plus is the MGIB covers close to $40,000 if not more now.

Congrats.;Y
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:00   #9
hillkillr
shi-kami

Can't wait to get my first check later this month. Hopefully between the GI bill and the VA I can get a full 8 years of benefits. It's funny, One of the reasons I signed up for the Army was for the GI bill. Allots happened since then, I completly forgot about it for a good three years. I even considered staying in without any further civilian education. Now, here I am, back where I origanally wanted to be, going to college. It's been a long time coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hillkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 20:05   #10
MR. Fantastic

Quote:
Originally posted by hillkillr
Now, here I am, back where I origanally wanted to be, going to college. It's been a long time coming.

I'll second that ;Y
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15   #11
G21Pro

MGIB Max Out

I will be entering my final year at the University of California at Irvine. I will have maxed out my MGIB and Army College Fund. Apparently the ACF is an additional amount on top of the MGIB. I have a couple months more of school than I have the MGIB/ACF entitlement, but the office that handles my verifications said that they usually pay you to the end of the year even if you are short a month or two. I am going to max out twice as much as the original thread starter.
G21Pro is offline   Reply With Quote