SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:21   #1
frettedfive
KE5BSR

DC Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004

Effective July 1, the District of Columbia is enforcing the new Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004. This act restricts the use - while driving a vehicle - of a cellular telephone, mobile telephone or other electronic device without the use of a hands-free accessory. Violations can result in a fine of $100.

Though I don't live in DC, I'm curious as to how this law will be applied to mobile ham operation. The wording seems to suggest that a ham talking with a mic in his hand could be charged under the law because the "electronic device" was not hands-free.

If laws such as this start being passed throughout the country, I'm fearful that this could put a damper on mobile ham radios.

Thoughts?

KE5BSR

"You can't just find cake. Cake isn't naturally occurring."
frettedfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:29   #2
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

"Are we on VOX!?"
"No"
"Go ahead Houston..."

:joker:
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 20:16   #3
00Buck

DC Distracted Driving Safety Act of 2004

I know they were talking about a similar law here and it would include using radios. I guess if you could figure out a way to use a mic with VOX you would be ok but you would have to do it without a headset because they are illegal here too. I have run mobile for many years without a problem. When traffic gets bad I sign off. I can see why people complain about the cell phones though, they are just too distracting for some people.
BIG DAWG #1251
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #1251
00Buck is offline   Reply With Quote