SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:11   #1
Critter
Patriot Customs

Mozilla Thunderbird

I am trying to use Thunderbird for the first time. I set the account up the same as I did my OE, but my server won't accept the password, says my box is locked. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can still check my mail with OE just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:35   #2
G21-30

Last edited by G21-30; 07-06-2004 at 13:59..
G21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 19:19   #3
SamBuca

Send a message via AIM to SamBuca
Your box is locked when another email client is accessing it. You can't read your mail with two programs simultaneously.
Old 07-05-2004, 19:25   #4
Critter
Patriot Customs

It happens even when outlook express is closed. Is there something else I need to do?

Old 07-05-2004, 19:26   #5
SamBuca

What is the exact error message, verbatim?

Do you have more than 1 account set up in Thunderbird?
Old 07-05-2004, 20:56   #6
Critter
Patriot Customs

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.comcast.net responed: box locked

That is exactly what is being thrown up in a grey box. I am using the correct password.

Old 07-05-2004, 21:01   #7
SamBuca

And you're absolutely sure that Outlook is not running, there's only 1 account in Thunderbird, and no other application is trying to access your mail?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58   #8
Harlequin
I need a weapon

When you installed Thunderbird did it give you the option of importing all your OE information or did you set it up manually?
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:26   #9
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

You may have closed the OE window but do you still have a mail checker in the system tray?

DanH
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 13:24   #10
Critter
Patriot Customs

I only have it checking one account.
I took it out of the sys tray.
I set it up manually.

I'm thinking about uninstalling it and then re-installing it. Should I let it import the OE settings instead?
Can I not use this to check more than one e-mail address once I get it up and running?
Is Comcast a problem with this by chance?

Old 07-06-2004, 17:48   #11
SamBuca

You can test Comcast by doing the following:

1) Start -> Run
2) Type 'cmd'
3) Type 'telnet'
4) Once that window opens, type 'open mail.comcast.net 110'.
5) After the greeting (it might just say +OK), type 'USER yourusername', hit enter, it will say "+OK" or something similar, then type 'PASS yourpassword'.

If it says "+OK" or something similar, then it works fine. If it says the mailbox is locked, then there's a problem.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:43   #12
Critter
Patriot Customs

Thanks Sam, it checks out okay. I'll proceed with the deletion and re downloading of thunderbird to see if that does it, stay tuned please.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:53   #13
ronin_asano

do you use the installer builds or the zip builds? i always had better luck with the zip builds.
ronin_asano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:55   #14
SamBuca

Speaking of the installer, remember to completely uninstall and wipe out your current Thunderbird (or Firefox for that matter). Your email and data are stored outside of the program files. The default installation is 'Mozilla Thunderbird' in the 'Program Files' directory...after you uninstall it, make sure that directory is gone as well.

While my problems were with Firefox, the same issues apply here. Old config files, plugins, etc can cause problems with new versions. Installing to a clean directory fixed everything.