SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:51   #1
Single Stacker

Gun Care

Hi BOGs:

With the high price of our pistols nowadays, it quickly dawned on me last gun show that we should really take care of our guns and always have this clean and in top condition. I know this was already discussed somewhere but would appreciate knowing how you guys do it and what do you recommend as follows:

Overall cleaning agent - Me I use good old kerosene. Just take them all down and dunk it with a little scrub using an old toothbrush.

Cleaning agent for polymer/plastic parts - For the meantime I just use cloth and wipe the dirt out. I am wary if I use anything it will melt the plastic??? hehehehe.

Bore/Barrel cleaning - I normally dunk the entire barrel in kerosene and after a while use hoppes number 9 and clean the bore using a nylon brush. Is this OK? I also have several metal brushes and a fancy one (tornado type) which I use in my Norinco but have not tried it on my .40 fearing it may damage the barrel (No damage on my Norinco yet).

Someone recommended using gasoline instead of kerosene which I am inclined to try as gasoline smells better and does not linger long. Is this OK?

Suggestions will be highly appreciated. I am sure we all want our guns to stay as shinny as the day we brought them. Now I am sure I am a certified gun nut as I clean and inspect my gun more than my car which I use daily.
Single Stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:01   #2
mc_oliver

Hmmm...because of your post naalala ko tuloy na 'di ko pa nalilinisan yung baril ko this year...

Used to do it after every match or range session, kaso tamad na ngayon. ;f

The most cleaning I gave sometime last year was an interior wipe down with FP-10. The barrel also got a scrubbing using a nylon brush with a FP10-soaked patch. That's about it.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:20   #3
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

I use Break free CLP and a toothbrush for most of the gun and Hoppe's #9 and a nylon and a bronze brush for the bore. I also use Gasoline and/or kerosene when I run out of Hoppe's, cleans almost as well, it just takes a bit longer(Hoppe's also smells nicer) I clean my guns at least once a month although I try to do it every range session if I'm up to it.
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:52   #4
batangueno
Shock Resist

I use paper towels to clean the whole gun, no solvents whatsoever just wipe it down. For the barrel, i use Hoppe's9, brass brush and a couple of patches to scrub the bore. To lube the gun, i use Militec grease except for the hammer/sear/disconnector which i use Militec oil. After assembling the gun, i wipe it with Breakfree CLP for rust protection.

That was for the 1911, for the glock, i basically follow the same way with cleaning using paper towels and scrubbing the barrel. To lube the glock, i put one drop on the barrel and spread it around. Half drop to each rail on the frame. Small drop inside the slide where the barrel hood rubs it and the last drop where the connector touches the trigger bar. The extra oil on your fingers just rub it around the recoil spring.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 05:35   #5
ogiebb

hoppes 9 for evrything wiped by a paper towel, then i use slide glide 1 on my barrel and sometimes on the rails.. followed by STI trigger slick for the hammer hooks
Old 07-16-2004, 08:04   #6
jmy
Lifetime Membership
Still Alive

Has anyone of you ever tried Militec-1?If yes,what do you think of it?how does it compare to FP-10 when it comes to lubrication?
THANKS.

jmy
Old 07-16-2004, 10:17   #7
9MX
Rei!

I discovered how OC I can be when it comes to my pistols. They get cleaned right away when I get home right away. For starters, I use a metal brush sprayed with Break Free CLP (sometimes I stuff the barrel with little pieces of cloth soaked in CLP). Then its patches and hoppes no. 9 including the easy to reach parts on the frame.

JMY,

For lubrication, I alternate with Militec (so far so good) and the excess motor oil I get each time my car undergoes a change oil.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:02   #8
casmot
Re membered

Quote:
Originally posted by jmy
Has anyone of you ever tried Militec-1?If yes,what do you think of it?how does it compare to FP-10 when it comes to lubrication?
THANKS.

jmy
I've been using Militec since I received their sample pack last year. Initially, the pistol felt gritty. But after the second application of Militec, the grittiness was gone. I even wiped the pistol dry and it still felt oiled. BTW, according to Militec, their product is not a lubricant but a metal treatment.
Old 07-16-2004, 19:17   #9
Eye Cutter

Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Haven't tried the militec or FP-10
Hoppe's No. 9 and Kleenbore Lead Away patches for barrel cleaning
Before storage, I wipe the frame down with an oily rag and put small bags of dessicant in my pistol cases.

;K
Eye Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 22:39   #10
Hermo Gut

I also use kerosene and gasoline for cleaning the metal parts of my guns.Problem is , gasoline is not good for your health as it enters the skin through the pores enducing liver cancer. I now use long industrial gloves & mask while cleaning. Also , clean in a well ventilated / secluded area as these materials are highly flammable.I use snake bore to clean the barrel in the process.

For gun oil , I've tried Breakfree , Tetra Gun , Militec ,FP-10 and Mobil. All works fine but for economy I'd say Mobil.If budget is not a concern I'd say Militec (smoother feeling than the others). I also use syringe (with flattened needle point)to oil my guns as I'm able to better reach & control the amount of oil (again for economy).;f

Before oiling I also use Hoppes No.9 to further eliminate fouling.For finishing touches , I wipe all excess oil and fingerprints with oiled cloth and store with silica gel.

For polymer frame , I use luke warm water with JOY , brush , rinse and blow dry asap (hair dryer). Wipe immediately with oil soaked cloth or Hopped patch.
BOG #941
Heckler and Koch Club #50
"There are only two ways to live your life.One is as though nothing is a miracle.The other is as though everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein -
Hermo Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:00   #11
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
For Glocks, soap and water works really good for thorough cleaning. ;f Getting lead from the barrel is best accomplished (in any pistol) mechanically with an old bore brush wrapped with some shreds from a stainless steel pot scrubber.

Lube is easy with Glocks, since they don't need much. A little CLP, FP-10, or something similar as per the manual and you're done.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote