Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2004, 15:36   #1
Topo Gigio

Going WiFi

I have the equipment to install but puter is saying not enuf resources. I run win98. Time to get a new puter???
Old 07-16-2004, 16:48   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Probably time for a new one o' those. BUT

If you're interested, resources are not necessarily things that you can get more of. Windows has an interesting (stupid) way of dedicating resources. There is your RAM (memory) and inside that RAM is two chunks of memory mapped out. These two blocks are 32 (64 for higher systems?) K in size. One is "user resources", one is "system resources".

User resources are the icons on your desktop, open windows and such. The more junk you have on your desktop, the more of this is used up without opening anything.

System resources are things for drivers and whatnot. Each time you open something, it eats part of this.

Now, when you CLOSE things, these resources SHOULD be returned to the pot or the OS SHOULD recover them. Open your file browser and go to HELP/ABOUT and you'll see resources and memory, IIRC. Close that, open another program and, while the other program is open, look again at the resources used. It will have changed.

You can see if a program is piss poor at resource management if it doesn't go back to the original value when the program is closed.

Oh, something to think about. You can have a bazillion gig of RAM, but if you run out of either system or user resources, you get out of memory errors.

This is not exact, but it's close enough for someone who's not really into this junk ;f

DanH
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 19:33   #3
berniew
Liberty

Re: Going WiFi

Maybe time to get a new OS. Or at least a clean build.

How much RAM do you have? What do you have loading on startup? (msconfig will give you some ideas)

Quote:
Originally posted by Topo Gigio
I have the equipment to install but puter is saying not enuf resources. I run win98. Time to get a new puter???