Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-18-2004, 21:44   #1
berniew
Liberty

If you had to buy a Dell

What do you think of this system? I'm looking at a new primary desktop

Dimension XPS Pentium® 4 Processor 550 with with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
M348B - [ 221-5477 ]

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
WPXP - [ 313-7222412-0688420-1922462-4610 ]

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)
2GB5 - [ 311-3771 ]

Video Card 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 XT
X800XT - [ 320-3916 ]

Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy™2 (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capability
SBA2X - [ 320-0667 ]

Hard Drive 74GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (10000RPM)
74S - [ 341-0990 ]

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 12X CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) w/double layer write capability
12DVDRW - [ 313-2708430-0945 ]

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices 3.5 in Floppy Drive
FD - [ 340-1927 ]

Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
IN - [ 430-0742 ]

Dual Monitor Support DVI-VGA Adapter to connect 2 CRT Monitors to dual capable Video Card
2TI4600 - [ 320-0456 ]

Speakers Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Speaker System
KLIPSCH - [ 461-3821A0246235 ]

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
U3OS - [ 950-1390950-1392 ]
Old 07-18-2004, 21:54   #2
gudel

if i was buying something like this, i'd try to find a sound card that is built in to the board, more hard drive capacity, skip the floppy and replace it with wireless and no need for 3 yrd onsite. gigabit can be dropped and get cheaper price, i'd do it and get 100base-t instead.

definitely need bigger hard drive. i used up about 90Gb already.
gudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 22:14   #3
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally posted by gudel
if i was buying something like this, i'd try to find a sound card that is built in to the board
why onboard sound?

and to the original poster, what do you do with your computer?
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 22:23   #4
Stanze

Sounds like a kick-butt system, I think for all those specs you can build it yourself for around half the price of a XPS.

If you must spend that kind of money, I'd go with ah Alienware, http://www.alienware.com Way cooler looking tower IMO.;f
Stanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 00:02   #5
gudel

onboard sound is easier to deal with, with stuff you do like watching dvd, playing games, you can't tell which one is which. the rest of sound blaster lines are just gimmick. sb live mp3, sb live gamer, audigy this, audigy that, yeah right ;Q their days are numbered. they haven't come up with grounbreaking products since what, the original sound blaster /sound blaster 16?

also sound blaster makes great bloatware for their drivers ;f

(and yes i own and use soundblaster live right now)

i suggest you consider building the computer yourself. you get the exact parts. kind of like buying a custom 1911 but a lot cheaper since you are the computersmith ;f

Last edited by gudel; 07-19-2004 at 00:07..
Old 07-19-2004, 01:47   #6
srhoades

With all that newer and higher priced (as well as higher marked up stuff) you could save probably $1000 by building it yourself.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:02   #7
berniew
Liberty

Thanks

floppy and gig ethernet included

I'm looking for speed off the primary drive. slower cheaper fdrives can be added later

I already have wireless adapters so I can skip that

Quote:
if i was buying something like this, i'd try to find a sound card that is built in to the board, more hard drive capacity, skip the floppy and replace it with wireless and no need for 3 yrd onsite. gigabit can be dropped and get cheaper price, i'd do it and get 100base-t instead.

definitely need bigger hard drive. i used up about 90Gb already.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:03   #8
berniew
Liberty

It will be used to watch some DVDs and play some games, other than that the standard stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
why onboard sound?

and to the original poster, what do you do with your computer?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04   #9
berniew
Liberty

Right now we are at $3000 (how do others compare?), and since I will be getting it through my work I am "stuck" with Dell

Quote:
Originally posted by srhoades
With all that newer and higher priced (as well as higher marked up stuff) you could save probably $1000 by building it yourself.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43   #10
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Bernie, three large should buy you a lot of PC and I’d like to see you get your money’s worth.
Quote:
Originally posted by berniew
It will be used to watch some DVDs and play some games, other than that the standard stuff
It doesn’t take a $3k PC to do that, or anywhere near it. But it ain’t my money so, if you want a PC at that level, the first question I would ask is how much tech support will you likely need? Do you know which is the ‘any’ key? ;e

If you consider yourself an ‘advanced’ user, I definitely would recommend you build your own. This naturally will mean you won’t have a single 24/7 tech support line to call in the event something goes wonky. For three grand I could build a monster that will dim the neighbor’s lights when you switch it on. This definitely will give you the biggest bang for your buck but it severely curtails the Tech Support options. All your components, however, still will be warrantied.

If you’re comfortable using a PC but feel icky if you have to open the case and move or change anything, I’d have a look at Alienware. They build PCs for hard-core gamers and adolescents with a gold card so their stuff is pricey. However, they also build for home users who put a strain on their hardware. Among the hard-core gamers – who really put a hurt on their PCs – Alienware is widely regarded as the best off-the-shelf PC money can buy.

Then there’s Dell who, in my opinion and Consumer Reports’, builds the best ‘store-bought’ PCs from any major company. The specs you posted would be a fire-breather, and Dell has 24/7 Tech Support. Depending on your proficiency and comfort level, this might be the best option. But be aware that the people who do Tech Support at places like this generally are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Increasingly, that drawer isn’t even in the U.S.

EDIT:
Sorry, Bernie, I overlooked your last post. Plz disregard all the above.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:23   #11
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
For three grand I could build a monster that will dim the neighbor’s lights when you switch it on. This definitely will give you the biggest bang for your buck but it severely curtails the Tech Support options.
he doesn't need tech support when he's got GT's tech talk
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:29   #12
berniew
Liberty

No problem.

Good data for others. I'm curious to know what others could buy/build this kind of system for $ wise.

I've worked in IT (onsite support, help desk, desktop support, and network admin roles) for about 8 years.

I've got A+ for Mac and PC and have Microsoft certifications from Windows 95, NT, 2000 up to XP (I'll probably do 2003 certs soon ;g )

The last time I built my own machine was around the PII era, but I've helped plenty of others build or upgrade

But still have plenty to learn

Our company buys Dell and 3 year support because we are able to get it cheaply and because we have machines flung all over the place.

Since I don't know where a mchine might end up, we get all machines with the same level of support instead of dinking around wondering what the deal is on a particular machine

I know it doesn't take a $3K machine to do what I want but since I have the option, I think I prefer that to a $300 machine, and I might as well get as much Dell as I can, hence the thread title

Quote:

EDIT:
Sorry, Bernie, I overlooked your last post. Plz disregard all the above.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13   #13
SamBuca

Send a message via AIM to SamBuca
First thing you should do is go into the CMOS and disable hyperthreading. It causes lockups on a lot of programs.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:16   #14
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
he doesn't need tech support when he's got GT's tech talk
Yeah, but hiow will he know which of the 163 different opinions to trust?? ;g

Bernie, I think you're looking at about $2000 +/-10%, not including shipping, to build equivalent hardware DIY (pretty close to srhoades' estimate).

A lot of prople swear by NewEgg.com -- and their service does get high marks -- but they have a retail outlet in Tennessee now, meaning they want to charge me sales tax (this is a non-starter). I get my prices (and most of my parts) from pricewatch.com.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 07-19-2004, 12:23   #15
gudel

Quote:
i guess that beats calling tech support in india. ;Q
Old 07-19-2004, 12:28   #16
SamBuca

Send a message via AIM to SamBuca
Quote:
I'll explain myself if necessary...100% customer satisfaction so far

Dell is one of the more impressive companies out there...all of our machines at work are Dells, my laptop is a Dell, and when there's enough spare change laying around I plan to get a Dell for home.

Their website is top notch...type in your service tag and all the stuff you'd ever need is at your fingertips. Their ordering system is very good. The discs you get are wonderful incase you need to reinstall. Their hardware itself is excellent: flat panel monitors are great, keyboards don't wear out, mice work nice, the new cases they're using are sturdy, the wiring inside is professional...I can't say enough good things about Dell.

Think of the little extra cost for a Dell like going out to eat...everything is done for you and you're pampered. Sure, you could hit the grocery store and make the meal yourself for less...but sometimes you want it the easy way ;f
Old 07-19-2004, 12:36   #17
gudel

Quote:
and since I will be getting it through my work I am "stuck" with Dell
at work people often ask us the IT guys to build them computers. you're not "stuck", you have the choice, unless you're using corporate money to buy your dell, then you are stuck ;f
Old 07-19-2004, 12:58   #18
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
i guess that beats calling tech support in india. ;Q
I don't type with an accent (southern or other) so, for all you know, my real name could be Raj Patel. ;f

Our Manufacturing IS guys leased ~ 250 Dells for the admin staff. They are decent PCs.

-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Old 07-19-2004, 13:34   #19
gudel

you should read this thread here

quite an interesting read.
Old 07-19-2004, 14:09   #20
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Berniew;

Just so you know...any PCI audio solution is better than the onboard, even a premium one.

My Asus P4C800-E Deluxe uses AC97 chips to do its thing, with 5.1 and all that.

It also uses CPU cycles and system RAM to run. Worst of all, the MOBO sound was sitting on the same IRQ as my Vid card and my USB Controller....and in XP there is no way you can change that if you are using the ACPI.

I then picked up a Creative Labs Sudigy 2 for under $100. It is a PCI card, of course, so I can allow the BIOS to set it to different interrupt just by yanking it and reinstalling it in a different slot. You do not need to do a Complete install...just the drivers are all I use, so there is no bloat.

So now my sound isn't all crunchy, I get from 10 to 50 more frames per second in games, and my games do not hesitate (or crash) because of IRQ conflicts.

Sorry, Gudel, but anyone who is a power user will avoid using their onboard sound. There are just too many issues.

And, BTW, the Audigy 1 or even the older SoundBlasters make for a whole lot better audio output....louder, clearer, you name it...just all-around better.

Just FYI!

Best regards,

FastVFR
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote