Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups


Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 22:12   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 390
what do I need to get started?

For a person starting to work towards a technician level license,what is a good study guide and where can I find a place to take the test? What book helped you understand the basics better and augemented your knowledge to make you a better ham? Can I be licensed and give a radio to my wife with proper instructions as to its use, using it as a backup for other comm? What can I do if the ham bands in my area are basically dead, with few active hams, and many 11 meter hotrodders? Your advice oh wise ones is greatly appreciated .

carbonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:24   #2
Posts: n/a
Without knowing where you're located, I really can't answer.

There are several web sites that offer lots of information:

Also, PM member "Caretaker". He seems to be very active in the VEC program, and can probably hook you up with the necessary resources.

GOOD LUCK!!! Hope to cu on the air soon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 17:14   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: E. TN
Posts: 374
Arrl has the question pools, study those, qst has the practice test, do them. It won't take long, once consistantly scoring 90% on qst, take the exam and get the license. ARRL has a listing of where you can take exams. She needs the license too. There are probably more hams in your area than you think, you will be surprised. Turn the illegals in to the fcc. Go ahead and get it done, you will not regret it. I put it off for 40 years, wish I had not.

Last edited by cntrline; 07-21-2004 at 17:20..
cntrline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 16:09   #4
sacluded's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 73
Send a message via ICQ to sacluded Send a message via AIM to sacluded Send a message via Yahoo to sacluded
Don't forget Radio Shack! They have some great books there that have the question pools plus explanations.

Your wife could use your radio, but ONLY if you are present. You have to be there to be the control operator. If you want her to use the radio alone she has to have her own ticket.
sacluded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:59   #5
Senior Member
TheGrinch's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 374
These two guides will enable you to pass the technician test. The Tech license will get you on VHF/UHF, including repeaters (relay radios that extend range). All possible test questions are presented, after going through the book a few times, you will have no trouble passing the test. Others have posted links to practice exam websites, but go through the question banks three times and then take a few practice exams. The Gordon West books explain the material very well, and are a good reference for further expansion.

TheGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:55   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 390
Thanks for all the replies, the West books are on my shopping list. What would be a good setup to start with? I was thinking a 2m ht and a higher power mobile in my suburban, what works well and does not cost an arm and a leg? thanx.
carbonblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46.

GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups

Users Currently Online: 1,144
379 Members
765 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42