Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:27   #1
podwich

Zonealarm problems

Here's an interesting problem. I'm running Zonealarm on my system. As of a few days ago, I started having problems connecting to the web after letting my computer sit for awhile. If I shut down Zonealarm, everything works again. BTW-the automatic lock on Zonealarm is off.

I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys router. The router has a firewall built in but I've been using it with Zonealarm for over a year with no problems. I like using the software firewall as well since it gives me control over outbound internet access.

I guess I could just run with the hardware firewall in the router but this is just kinda weird. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50   #2
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Actually the router is a firewall.
it uses NAT to hide your behind it.
If you don't know what NAT is please read the manual that came with the router. Linsys has a pretty good FAQ and search engine on thier site.
I despise software firewalls.

Disable Zonealarm and use the linksys router.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:31   #3
Roger C

Quote:
Originally posted by NetNinja
Disable Zonealarm and use the linksys router.
Bad advice. The Linksys "firewall" will let a lot of stuff through that ZoneAlarm will catch.

Back to the original question, did you check your process list when the PC gets slow? Is there something starting up on the computer when it is idle that ZoneAlarm is blocking that may be eating up CPU time?
Roger C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:40   #4
podwich

I haven't noticed anything odd in the process list. BTW-the computer doesn't get slow, it's just that my internet connection become unaccessible.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44   #5
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Do you have the free one or the paid one? What's probably happening is that connections are set up then time out on the firewall. I'm not a security person, so someone else would have to explain the specifics, but we've seen this quite a bit at work.

A firewall is only as good as its configuration. The issue with software firewalls is that the traffic's already on your machine. A router isn't a firewall, but they can reside on the same machine. NATing is only one approach to security, and it wasn't even designed for security.

One big question - what changed in the last few days?

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BikerGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:20   #6
podwich

Free one (well, that's what I was using when it started-I tried the "pro" version after this started to see if it'd fix it-no luck).

I double-checked and the "time-out" on the internet connection is turned off.

What changed? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Around the same timeframe I've installed a Logitech mouse driver and updated the firmware in my router. I believe that's it.
Old 07-28-2004, 17:22   #7
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Quote:
Originally posted by podwich
Around the same timeframe I've installed a Logitech mouse driver and updated the firmware in my router. I believe that's it.
I'd start there...
Check the manufacturer's website for known issues (and realize that it make take them awhile to update the site) or call the help desk and see if anyone else has reported the same issue.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BikerGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 18:16   #8
frefoo

AntiVirus software?

Are you running antivirus software also?

Was ZoneAlarm set to auto update?

Last week I was at the ZA website, and I think I recall a problem with their version working correctly with Norton AV?

I cant remember exactly what the issue was.

I do not see any mention of it on the site right now so maybe it was corrected.

I am sorry I am so fuzzy, I read it quick and since it did not apply to me I quickly forgot about it.

Since everything works with ZoneAlarm shutdown I think the problem is with ZA and not your Linksys router.

What are you Internet/Intranet security settings in ZA (Low/Med/High)?

Try dropping the internet setting to low (AS A TEST ONLY) and see if you can get out with it running.

I like ZoneAlarm when I do not have hardware based firewall in front of my computer (friendís house). However at home I sit in front of a Linksys firewall and let it handle the job of protecting my laptop. I generally watch my systems and have no need (IMO) for a software based firewall telling me "mozillafirebird.exe wants to access the internet".
frefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 19:41   #9
Harlequin
I need a weapon

I have Norton 2003 and ZA Pro and haven't had any problems.
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." ó The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 22:27   #10
podwich

frefoo: Re-ee-ee-ee-aly. Huh. I do have NAV and I used to have ZA on auto-update. Interestingly enough, I do believe I was updated around that timeframe as well. I'll have to check into that.

As for zones: Internet=high, trusted=medium. Next time I have problems I'll try playing with those.

I do like having control over whether programs can access the internet-I've used that capability in the past to disable ad servers on programs, I use it to keep programs from "phoning home" (even legit ones), and I also currently use it do disable the damn MSN IM client-the stupid thing doesn't like to stay off unless it doesn't have an internet connection. Every time I log onto hotmail the thing pops up if I don't deny it a connection.

BikerGoddess: I'll check into firmware issues as well. I could almost swear this started happening before I updated the firmware but I can't say for sure. It is consistently happening though-I had to shut down ZA to get on the net just now.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:22   #11
jilverthor

Send a message via AIM to jilverthor Send a message via Yahoo to jilverthor
I would also suggest double checking your settings on the router. I have had problems in the past occasionally when I auto-updated stuff that the settings were changed even though they shouldn't have been. It is possible that the router had some setting set in place that causes a conflict with zonealarm. Just a thought hope it helps.

Jeff

Edited: Just read that post a little more carefully and it was ZA that was auto-updating so maybe scratch that idea unless it sounded like you might have also upgraded the firmware on the router as well.
jilverthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 15:12   #12
RaiderRodney
Just Win Baby

I don't think it's a Router problem myself. I have wireless internet coming straight to my PC with the same problem. After a fresh re-start it is fine, but if it sits a while, no internet. Zonealarm will probably fix in the next update, I hope?

I also have internet lock and auto update off, and I run AVG anti-virus, so it's probably not NAV.

Forgot to say, have you also tried to do a scan disk? This version of ZA also locks the drive at startup, so you can't do one :(

Last edited by RaiderRodney; 07-29-2004 at 15:14..
RaiderRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 21:46   #13
Gasconade

You could try something like Ethereal (www.ethereal.com) and maybe see what happens just before it all quits.
Gasconade is offline   Reply With Quote