Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:24   #1
jundeleon

chamber loaded glock for carry?

For BOGs who use Glocks as carry gun, do you carry the gun with a round in the chamber? Is this a safe practice with the Glock's lack of external safety?
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:41   #2
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

I do, It's safe as long as you use a holster that's stiff(preferably kydex) and covers the whole trigger/trigger guard part. I use a Comp-tac CTAC which suits this purpose, like so
Band of Glockers
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:20   #3
9MX
Rei!

Quote:
Originally posted by doctabako
I do, It's safe as long as you use a holster that's stiff(preferably kydex) and covers the whole trigger/trigger guard part. I use a Comp-tac CTAC which suits this purpose, like so
Band of Glockers
Doc T,

I've never tried concealed carry due to the ban. So is kydex a safer option than leather IWB holster. From what I can envision, there is no problem with IWB leather when drawing the pistol, its re-holstering which concerns me
Old 07-16-2004, 10:29   #4
jundeleon

Do you find any use for Saf-T blocks on your glocks?
jundeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:30   #5
ogiebb

i used to carry my G26 in a nylon Shooting systems IWB holster.. as long as there is something covering the trigger guard and trigger and you cant get to the trigger Thru the material it seems ok
Old 07-16-2004, 10:43   #6
doctabako
Gun Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by 9MX
Doc T,

I've never tried concealed carry due to the ban. So is kydex a safer option than leather IWB holster. From what I can envision, there is no problem with IWB leather when drawing the pistol, its re-holstering which concerns me
Ahh, but we do have to reholster discreetly at times specially if the threat has passed or in a misunderstood situation, where two hand reholstering would give your gun away and alarm the uninitiated.
A properly made leather holster, with stiffeners in the right areas is also good. Its the floppy leather and nylon ones that cause concern. One hand reholstering is also easier in a kydex(or similar material)holster.
Reholstering with a loaded glock is a concern in a holster which collapses after the gun is out, even if you have to use your support hand to assist you. In a glock one can easily(accidentally) get your support thumb or something else wedged inside the trigger guard while reholstering.
Band of Glockers #666
Big Dawg # 1241
Black Rifle Club #666
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
doctabako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 19:00   #7
Valor1
Pro Paingiver

The first time I have my Glock, I practiced the Israeli method of carrying it with no bullet in the chamber and drawing it and then racking the slide. For beginners it will be a bit slow. If you practiced it, you'll be comapring your speed with seasoned shooters.

Later on, I guess I still find it slow (the Israeli draw). Then I realized I wasn't at home with a cocked and locked carry in a 1911 before. BUt with the 1911, i practiced until I get to be so at home with a cocked and locked carry.

As time went by, I realized it's also time to trust Glock's design. I now carry it with a bullet in the chamber with a bit of speed and trust. I also used the Kydex Holsters as additional "stiffening" in case I use an IWB holster. Some would like the trigger plug but I just find it an additional expense. In a defensive situation, I might just lose it (buy another one again and cost money)or interfere with my "panc rush."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Valor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 20:38   #8
mc_oliver

When I carried my G19, it was always with 1 in the pipe. But you really have to be responsible about where you rest your trigger finger everytime you handle a gun.
me :) ***
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 21:57   #9
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Quote:
Originally posted by 9MX

Your best bet with a leather IWB holster is to get one that has a reinforced top that helps hold it open for reholstering. Many of them have a steel liner in the reinforcement that really makes a good holster better.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:04   #10
attyjpl
Dark Justice

Send a message via Yahoo to attyjpl
Re: chamber loaded glock for carry?

Quote:
Originally posted by jundeleon
For BOGs who use Glocks as carry gun, do you carry the gun with a round in the chamber? Is this a safe practice with the Glock's lack of external safety?

bro, i cant believe you still want a 4th gun ;f dami mo na baril a! ako naman, i'm stocking up on ammo and practicing a lot. pero maganda nga yan at marami kang baril kasi pag nagdalaga na inaanak mo at lumaking kasing ganda at kasing sexy ng ina, sigurado mapapa-away tayo ng barilan ;z magsisimula na ako mag-ipon para sa gatling

BOG #45790
attyjpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 19:46   #11
antediluvianist

a revolver DA trigger it isn't....

I don't carry so I am not at risk. However, I have a G17 and a 686+ revolver. Compared to the 686+'s DA trigger, the G17's trigger is a lot lighter, and requires a much shorter pull too. Well, that is certainly a difference, and in the long run I might install an NY trigger spring just to make the two triggers feel similar.

I regard the G17 as a revolver that has a fairly light trigger pull, and so requires a bit more care to use without blowing one's right testicle off.
Old 07-19-2004, 00:46   #12
batangueno
Shock Resist

In the good ole days of PTC, yes i carry with 1 round in the chamber. Of course all appropriate firearm responsibility and discipline should apply.
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:02   #13
jasonub

i used to carry my hk usp cocked and locked. now that i only have 1 pistol with me. my svi is loaded in condition 2. all safeties are working but with a 1.2-1.4 pound trigger. you know what i mean
jasonub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:28   #14
antediluvianist

1.2 - 1.4 lb. trigger

mama mia, that's light. You don't drink caffeine, do you? Seriously, what is life like carrying with a 1.2 lb. trigger? Or is this just for competition?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:11   #15
bulm540

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonub
i used to carry my hk usp cocked and locked. now that i only have 1 pistol with me. my svi is loaded in condition 2. all safeties are working but with a 1.2-1.4 pound trigger. you know what i mean
Jason,
Do you have long dust cover, Waht kind of Holster are you using.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:33   #16
ogiebb

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonub

damn thats some scary stuff ..i aint even comfortable having an SA on my waist for carry anymore
Old 07-19-2004, 17:14   #17
bulm540

I had a friend who used to carry his competition gun ( STI) with a 2 # trigger. He was a damn good shooter too. I guess if you're comfortable , do it. Would carry it here in the U.S. too many damn lawyers to sue you.
Old 07-19-2004, 18:36   #18
Alexii
Janeway Forever

Back in the PTC days, I carried a NY1 equipped G19 with a round in the chamber. Used an IWB Sidearmor. All rules in gun safety apply.

BOG #13
Alexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 18:42   #19
antediluvianist

how did you find it?

Alexii, there have been so many "yes, get the NY1 trigger" and "No, don't,it sucks" threads, mainly in other forums, not BOGs.

What was your experience with the NY1? I am thnking of installing it to make the pull somewhat more like the DA pull on my revolver.
Old 07-19-2004, 19:06   #20
ogiebb

Quote:
Originally posted by bulm540
I had a friend who used to carry his competition gun ( STI) with a 2 # trigger. He was a damn good shooter too. I guess if you're comfortable , do it. Would carry it here in the U.S. too many damn lawyers to sue you.

exactly...especially reloaded ammo prosecutors will crucify you.. personal preference i guess...