SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:00   #1
jolt8me
Your the devil

homemade jukebox

o.k. i'm just starting to plan this out. I'm thinking about makeing my own jukebox that plays mp3's. Of course im going to have to use somethign smaller then a computer case for it but i'll come up with an idea later on. The thing i'm trying to figure out right now is how to control it. Basically what i want is a small case with speakers comeing out of it like any other stereo. I dont want to have a keyboard and mouse and a huge monitor attached to it otherwise what would be the point. I was thinking of haveing a tiny touchpad screen connected to it. Does something like this already exist (in which case what would be the point in me makeing it) or do any of you have a better idea on how i can control what is being played without a keyboard and mouse.
jolt8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 13:16   #2
jilverthor

Send a message via AIM to jilverthor Send a message via Yahoo to jilverthor
OK, several ideas:

How about just getting a CD player that will play MP3 cd's and would hook into any other stereo equipment you might have.

Another option are to get one of the new media pc's that have been designed to work as both a stand alone entertainment system and a computer.

Also, there are a couple of manufacturers that make receivers that will network with a computer and play both MP3s and interent radio stations that way.

Finally, there used to be designs by severall people who had built car based MP3 players that could be modified to work in the home.

Obviously the first option is the cheapest since any (almost) stand-alone cd/dvd player should work for that. The dedicated receiver is around $900-$1000 on the lowest models that I have seen. The other two options increase in cost from there (actually the self designed system would be cheaper money wise but would require a large time investment)

Here is a link to Onkyo's website that carries some of the receivers I was discussing.

http://www.onkyousa.com

Last edited by jilverthor; 07-26-2004 at 13:19..
jilverthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 14:12   #3
podwich

Use a hard drive-based mp3 player and hook it up to some self-powered speakers. Construct a box that can hold the speakers and player, put in an internal power strip to plug in the player and speakers, plug the strip into the wall. You could also install a cord with RCA plugs on it so you could plug it into a regular home stereo.

To control the system, simply use the player interface.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote